Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money

Doze

The comedian and director Mel Brooks recently revealed that he is interested in making a sequel to his Star Wars parody Spaceballs. He wants to begin working on the project after the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The movie will be titled “Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money”. :)

From Fansided:

Brooks said that he wants to reunite as much of the original cast members as possible. Which is will be a little hard considering some of the heavy hitters in the movie like John Candy and Joan Rivers have long since passed.

Another obstacle Brooks is sure to encounter is that of Rick Moranis. He bowed out of the acting world in 1997, however, after the tragic death of his wife to breast cancer, citing that it would be hard to be a single father and travel around to do movies.

Brooks also mentioned in a 2014 interview with Parade that longtime collaborator and screenwriter Tom Meehan of Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein had “some great ideas” for a sequel to the movie. But it really still rides on whether or not Rick wants to be apart of it.

“Without Rick, I wouldn’t do it,” Brooks explained. “I’ve got the helmet in storage, just waiting for him.” He added that he’s spoken with Moranis a few times over the years, but he’s “really strict” about remaining retired.

C’mon Rick, say yes. We want a sequel. But really the big question is, would Disney give the green light to a parody project so early in their new Star Wars era? Especially with so many projects already in motion. I think it’s highly unlikely, at least for the next couple of years. What do you think?

Found at: http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/02/mel-brooks-wants-to-make-spaceballs-2-the-search-for-more-money.html

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen during the prequels. I always expected it would, so I'm not surprised if it does now. Hope it's fun!

Actually, I remember seeing an article during the time of the PT, where Brooks said he wanted to do a Spaceballs 2 back then, but nothing ever happened.

I'm pretty "meh" on the original, so this development doesn't mean much to me.

Part of me thinks Spaceballs was a big blob of disappointing "meh" almost (but not quite) saved by its few moments of genuine mirth... yet part of me also feels like Spaceballs is one of the greatest movies ever made.

I've never before or since seen such a wholly-mediocre-yet-totally-quotable movie as Spaceballs.

Have equally mixed feelings about a potential sequel. Do hope Moranis signs on, though :)

This would be like trying to do another Airplane movie now. Its gonna suck.

Yeah, safe bet there. It's been nearly 30 years since Brooks has made a movie that was better than "pleasantly forgettable," and he's gonna be over 90 when the movie is done. Anybody who is genuinely getting their hopes up for a Spaceballs sequel (lol) really needs to temper those expectations.

That said, mixed feelings and all, I'll still totally see it!

I think part of the problem too is that the Brooks/Zucker style of slapstick/parody humor has been played out. Thanks to all those pale imitations like Date Movie, Epic Movie, Scary movie, etc the parody/lampoon film has kinda jumped the shark if not gone the way of the dodo.

But I think RC has nailed this one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.