Marvel and Sony to Share Spider-Man!

Darth Lohr

Excited and hurt at the same time.

LOVED Garfield as Spidey, wish they would just continue with him and ignore the first two movies (apart from an occassional reference to Gwen). Excited to see what Marvel will do, do they have time to squeeze Spidey into Civil War?

I'd love to see Marvel eventually do Kraven's Last Hunt on film. Who would you cast? If MIles Teller hadn't been cast in Fant4stic I'd have loved to see him in the part.

Except for all the crying, I enjoyed Garfield's portrayal. If he wasn't going to be part of Marvel's bigger plans, I'd love to see his Peter Parker team up (Why isn't there a MCU "Marvel Team-Up"?) with Miles Morales in some kind of mantle-passing. To add, I didn't mind Maguire's portrayal either.

If Marvel's going with a new Parker, I've read Anton Yelchin's name mentioned on a few sites. I'm cool with that.

I thought Garfield was a horrible Peter Parker, so I'm happy he'll be replaced. I thought Sony was ruining the film life of my favorite superhero, having been largely responsible for why Raimi's third film was so disappointing, then offering an at-best mediocre reboot, which was followed by an extremely poor sequel - so to say I'm "happy" about Marvel finally being involved is an understatement in the extreme.

Here's the latest tidbit, though, which I'm honestly not sure how happy I am about...

Marvel's Spider-Man Will Be Much Younger

I'm sooooooooo tired of young Peter/Spidey. The majority of animated versions have been young. The Raimi versions started young and didn't last long enough to give us a truly mature & seasoned Spidey. Then they rebooted to a (supposedly) even younger version. It's already been thirteen years since Spidey hit the big screen and now he may get even younger still?!? Aaargh! It's not the only interesting period of the character's (comic book) life! Hell, it's probably not even the most interesting period of his life!!!

I do admit the validity of the point about the interesting contrast a young Spidey could provide in the MCU. Still, the only way I'd really be jazzed in any way is if he is A) cast well, and 2) allowed to finally mature into adulthood and grow as a character. If we can finally see him dealing with grownup problems, instead of teenage angst or symbiote-induced emo-ocity. However, while I've read at least five articles about the Sony-Marvel deal, I still haven't seen any indication of a duration for this agreement. So, who knows if it'll last long enough for Peter to grow up. Not to mention the need for an actor willing to stick with the character that long. Plus one little detail that still has me slightly nervous about this deal, in general: the phrase "Sony Pictures will continue to...have final creative control of the Spider-Man films."

I think the MCU will answer your prayers about a mature Spidey. I don't see the universe being rebooted any time soon so if the actor is good he'll probably be allowed to play the character for 20 years or more. That provides stability in a time when the other major characters will be either phased out or recast.

I agree. Marvel is probably going younger again in hopes of carrying the actor thru the years and multiple appearances even outside of solo projects. That sounds like a duh, I know. I would also guess that this young Spidey could shoulder most of the inexperienced hero blame in Marvel's Civil War film project. Might be easier to use Spidey as the figurehead, the ignition point and redemption story than to recreate Spidey and also introduce a cadre of young heroes to blame.

I agree with part about with how they dealt with the aftermath, certainly. Still, it's a shame, because I did enjoy his actual role during the arc, itself. His struggle with which side he truly belonged on and divided loyalties, fueled even more by his bonding with Tony was interesting.

Plus - Iron Spider armor!!!

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/139/7/0/iron_spider_man___misda_colors_by_spiderguile-d50axwv.jpg

Yeah they can't do an old Spidey because the MCU is new to having superheroes outside of Captain America. An older Peter wouldn't fit in given that his origin has that bite hitting him in high school.

They won't do another origin, they'll jump him in, but I think people would have more trouble with an adult Peter Parker being bit than the idea of a young Spider-Man.

I thought AntMan was Marvel's biggest risk. I take that back. I think this will be their biggest risk. Yeah you get Spider-Man back, but you are now going to re cast the role, AGAIN, and you are going to try to shoehorn him into a story arc that has been outlined and carefully constructed for years. Not saying it can't be done, but it's a gamble. People are clamoring for a new Hulk movie because they want to see what Ruffalo can do with the part, but they're not doing it because it wasn't part of the plan. Since deals like this don't go down overnight, it is reasonable to believe that they have been kicking around story ideas for a while.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.