Trolls hate fatties, feminists and women. and themselves.

Destiny Skywalker

Guest El Chalupacabra

This story is bizarre, as are the people involved. All sides. But it is amazing the lengths people go to troll or to be online bullies.

We are being trolled!

I was actually waiting for her "reformed troll" to turn on her. Was disappointed that (as of yet) it has not happened. No true trollsman and all of that.

:no:

As somebody who frequents feminist websites, I often wonder how many so-called trolls really are trolls and how many are simply people who disagree with an ideology that cannot handle dissent. I mean, many of them are obviously trolling, but a lot of people get so wrapped up in their beliefs or cause or whatever that any sort of disagreement feel like a personal attack -- they can have a hard time distinguishing between harsh (but possibly valid) criticism and somebody just trying to wind them up. Social justice types are the worst in my experience (e.g. a commenter challenges college rape statistics or the wage gap and is immediately shouted down and dismissed as an "MRA Troll" while nobody addresses the issue), and narrowly focused causes, like anti-GMO discussions or fluoridation (yes, we are still arguing about fluoride in Portland) can be almost comical in their insistence that anybody who disagrees is a troll of the corporate shill variety.

As somebody who frequents feminist websites, I often wonder how many so-called trolls really are trolls and how many are simply people who disagree with an ideology that cannot handle dissent.

I'll definately second this. On the other hand, the article ALSO talks a great deal about private messages containing death threats, rape threats, the most caustic of insults and so on.

That said, how much of this flagrant hostility really stems from the frustration of dealing with SUCH a closed belief system whose main adherants are so up front about their own sense of moral superiority and entitlement. I don't CONDONE the trolling, mind you, but human nature being what it is, I'm not surprised that it happens.

I'll definately second this. On the other hand, the article ALSO talks a great deal about private messages containing death threats, rape threats, the most caustic of insults and so on.

Yeah, but threats and obvious trolls are, well... obvious. My curiosity is about the phenomena of shutting down/out somebody who says something you don't like by throwing a fit and labeling them a "troll," and how often those so-called trolls are actually trolls.

For example: we're having a discussion about human sexuality where some guy posts a link to a study that says women are more likely to cheat on their partner while ovulating. Somebody gets pissy about it, points to the study as yet another example of (white male/dude-bro lol) scientists trying to "pathologize female sexuality" or something, and labels the person who posted it a troll.

Now, the poster may have known his audience and been seeking just such a reaction (true troll)... or maybe it was just something they found interesting that they thought would add to the discussion (false troll).

I have seen lots of posts that could be considered "trolling if there is intent," especially in communities so tightly wound that a dogma-challenging scientific study can send its denizens into a red-penning tizzy... how the hell do you tell troll from foe in such an environment? How many trolls are normal people who just said the wrong thing in the wrong context? The world may never know.

That said, how much of this flagrant hostility really stems from the frustration of dealing with SUCH a closed belief system whose main adherants are so up front about their own sense of moral superiority and entitlement. I don't CONDONE the trolling, mind you, but human nature being what it is, I'm not surprised that it happens.

And don't forget how easy adherents of certain belief systems are to rile up, too. That's a big factor as well. Trollconomics 101. I hate to admit to something so shallow, but part of the reason I don't read many conservative authors is because the comment sections are usually so damn boring.

:eek:

Okay. So I read like half that article. I've also heard it on All Things Considered.

• I was kind of disappointed that the comments section was disabled. I mean I'd like to see what Pong can do when he's posting somewhere not nightly. I would think he is not the NAZI that Tami purports him to be.
  • People who work in media should expect a certain part of their privacy to be invaded - especially when the work online. Not that I am excusing what happened but I am always kind of sad at anyone who takes the internet seriously and flips out because 4Chan-type trolls came out of the woodwork to have some sport at the hands of someone who is writing about the things she does. If you have a public twitter feed and facebook feed someone will find it.
  • The internet is a strange world. People will say and do things they will never do in public to a persons face or by phone. I have seen this in action. The internet is full of more drama than when Jr was shot on Dallas. Part of it is because we feel a special kind of anonymity you cannot get in public where what happens can be so different in results say if you were right there in front of that person. For example, I have gotten some really terrible emails through my teacher account from parents. Really insulting stuff that makes me laugh out loud because, HELLO!, I can print this and save it. The email uses swear words and threatens me. But when I finally schedule a conference and the parents come and sit down with the Principal and me it's like a completely different person has shown up.

Funny how a lot of feminist bloggers ARE fat, and "not traditionally beautiful" (insert " mingin' ") though... Even if it is pure coincidence. Just saying.

Well, if you don't fit into the box of what people consider attractive, you can settle for being alone, a booty call, with a mate who doesn't make your heart flutter, etc... or you can fight the good fight against reality by shaming and coercing others into pretending "standard" beauty does not exist, does not (or at least should not) matter, and/or that it is a harmful social construct (that keeps wimmens DOWN).

It'll never work, of course, but hey, kudos for trying.

Also, I can think of several feminist bloggers who are attractive. I don't know if "fat and/or non-traditionally attractive" is the norm or not, but it's an unfair stereotype. Not that it should matter, of course. I feel like a horrible person for even noticing such irrelevancies.

Also, that picture is rude. Picking on people for how they look is cheap. Pick on them for their stupid ideas.

Funny how a lot of feminist bloggers ARE fat, and "not traditionally beautiful" (insert " mingin' ") though... Even if it is pure coincidence. Just saying.

And don't forget how easy adherents of certain belief systems are to rile up, too. That's a big factor as well. Trollconomics 101. I hate to admit to something so shallow, but part of the reason I don't read many conservative authors is because the comment sections are usually so damn boring.

Feminist vs. MRA flame wars get so acrimonious because the subject matter touches on so many personal insecurities. THAT, I suspect, is why they're such trollbait.

Stripped of all pretenses, the arguments on both sides boil down to: "The fact that I am unattractive and bitter should have no bearing on whether or not people like me" and hiding this behind a veneer of social criticism.

The internet is packed to the gills with angry chicks who figure that they're so hard done by because every man who reads their jealous blog attacking them for wanting to have sex with beautiful women wasn't immediately awed by her dazzling proof of the infallibility of feminist theory and shamed for even so much as thinking about being male.

Against them is a growing hoard of angry dudes who are mad as hell because women won't all jump in the sack with them because they're such nice guys. Come on ladies, buck up here.

It comes down to laziness. Entitled and FAT, both physically and psychologically. Not wanting to do the work required to earn the desire and respect of the opposite sex. Yes, shitty and sexist people abound on both sides of the gender divide. But like that old song says, nobody was ever promised a rose garden. Victims of real violence and abuse have legitimate gripes against their perpetrators. NOT against the entire gender of the people who screwed them over, whatever their pretentious theories might say. Beyond that, a whole lot of people need to stop being such babies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.