Better Call Saul

Rogue 3

post-4500-0-69523600-1422391621_thumb.jpg

Couldn't see a topic started for this, so with it only being a couple of weeks to the air date, what do we think?

There are so many bad spinoffs out there, but I have high hopes that this will be good. Saul was a brilliant character in BB, and not over used either so plenty to work with his character. The show being set in 2002 is a good idea, and they have said that there will be some time jumps here and there, so lots of potential.

Fingers crossed it's a Frasier rather than a Joey!

It's got Mike. That had me sold.

Knowing it has the same crew and writer's room as Breaking Bad means I'll stay. Everyone I know of who's read/seen the pilot says it's as good as BB as the whole team just kept going. So basically, all the perfection that was built up in BB has a new outlet.

Excellent - lots of enthusiasm for this. Saul is a great fun character. Plus everyone making this seems to be well up for it, glad to be back in their world again.

I don't doubt Walt and Jessie will appear at some point, but I hope that's saved for a nice treat later on. Really looking forward to seeing where they are going to go with these characters.

Can't wait!

Knowing it has the same crew and writer's room as Breaking Bad means I'll stay. Everyone I know of who's read/seen the pilot says it's as good as BB as the whole team just kept going. So basically, all the perfection that was built up in BB has a new outlet.

There's one review... maybe Esquire... that basically says that the first few episodes of Better Call Saul are as good or better than BB. Obviously this probably doesn't apply to the high-water marks like Ozymandias, but that's a very encouraging sign. I expected it to be mediocre frankly, so anything better than that will likely keep me around for a while.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Me too! I liked his scene in the episode Half Measures.

I'm thinking if its basically the whole team, it might be just as good, if not better. BB really got dark as the series went on, but originally was billed as more of a dark comedy. I'm guessing they may make this show more of a dark comedy. I just hope it doesn't devolve into a gimmicky goof fest.

• 2 weeks later...

There's one review... maybe Esquire... that basically says that the first few episodes of Better Call Saul are as good or better than BB. Obviously this probably doesn't apply to the high-water marks like Ozymandias, but that's a very encouraging sign. I expected it to be mediocre frankly, so anything better than that will likely keep me around for a while.

This doesn't shock me at all. To me BB was good and sometimes very good through the early seasons. It didn't hit it's stride and become great until Saul, Gus and Mike became involved. That's when it became great. So it wouldn't shock me if the first few episodes of this are as good as the first few of BB.

I thought that the first two episodes are off to a fantastic start. To me it FEELS Breaking Badish, but still completely different. If that makes any sense. I'm glad they are not going over the top with the Breaking Bad tie ins. The ones that were there felt organic and made sense. Also if you have never seen Breaking Bad at all, you wouldn't even know they were there. Worked on every level for me.

Just caught episode - off to a strong start, the negotiation in the desert was very nicely handled, and agree that it's not OTT on BB references, but the way it's made makes it feel like the original series.

Episode 2 ended a bit abruptly, but I like it very much so far!

Saw the episodes. Liked them. A lot of the court scenes reminded me of the now sadly cancelled Benched - I don't mean they were too sitcomy (because that show was the sort of show where the punchline to a joke was "I have cancer") - just a similar approach to a similar subject.

Does this mean Jonathan Banks won't be on Community?

Yes. Also : Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, they need some concrete explanation there. The previews kinda make it seem like we'll be getting it soon though.

Loving all the episodes so far. Been consistently great since the premiere.

His face on the billboard stole the show though. Laughed every time that stupid wig was on the screen. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.