Fox planning X-Men TV show

Cerina

I got excited too. Recipe for success is to start a fresh continuity aside from the films and have the right creative people involved. The comic is serialized and has been for decades-- a TV show could ride that out for seasons. It actually makes way more sense than making movies.

But it's Fox, so they will likely spin it off the movies, which means they will have to populate the show with all the c-lister mutants that haven't been tapped by too expensive for TV stars in the movies.

With my hard stance against fan fiction, I have twice almost violated this rule by making just brief outlines of what I would do if given keys to a beloved franchise. You all read the first instance-- my version of The Phantom Menace.

I dug through some old notebooks to find the second time I violated this rule-- my plan for an X-Men TV series. I did this maybe 2-3 years ago..

post-43313-0-32500600-1422384152_thumb.jpg

Eight seasons interspersed with 4 movies.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't know if a TV show about the Xmen would work or not, especially if they only give us 5th string Xmen, but I would love to see a serialized, 13 episode per season TV show by AMC about Wolverine starting from the point he looses his memory, forward, but before he joins the Xmen. Basically, what Xmen Origins: Wolverine should have been. Maybe even tweaked a bit where Logan doesn't even know what a mutant is until the end of season 1, other mutants are almost never featured (except Sabertooth), and it delves into Logan's lost years in Canada and Japan.

TV should could work fine so long as it isn't tied to the movie continuity. X-Men was birthed as a serialized story-- that adapts so much better to a TV format than a movie. If they have new continuity and are then free to recast, it could be great.

They might even pull a Star Trek and basically say after DOFP that the timeline has been rebooted and have this TV show be the follow up to Apocalypse.

But there's no getting around the fact that they can't do it without Wolverine, and no way does Hugh Jackman decide to do a TV show at this stage in his career.

I'm so bored with Wolverine that I would be more interested without him.

But I would watch a good show that wasn't connected to the movies at all.

Agreed as well. I'd be happy with 2nd string mutants as students on TV with occasional cameos from the all stars. Or something to that effect. (Which I think Seth mentioned once years ago. Always liked that idea.) Though, they'd definitely have to reboot the franchise.

What I'd really love to see is for Fox to ****ing suck it up and give the X franchise back to Marvel and Disney and let them work their magic on it.

Agreed on both counts. I just don't know if Fox would accept that. X-Men with no Wolverine is like Justice League with no Superman.

Fitting. Both characters are possibly the most boring from their respective publishers as well.

Fox did manage to release a film that just had a small cameo from Wolverine, so there's hope.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, I am just going to have to agree to disagree with you guys there.

Wolvierine, IMHO, is the PERFECT mutant for a TV show, and while I personally like Jackman as Wolverine (he's great in it, IMHO), this would be an opportunity to recast the role, and pass it down to someone else. Not to mention, Wolverine has a long life that can delve into the 1800s, AND he has a life shrouded in amnesia, where things can be written to reveal bits and pieces slowly. That was part of the problem with the Wolverine movies...they didn't have a whole season to reveal aspects of his memory, but rather, had to cram it all into 2 hours or less. And as for being bored with Wolverine...well there are liberties that can be taken, just like other TV shows have take a character into a different direction (IE Bixby's Hulk, Dexter, True Blood, even Smallville, etc), and in some cases, turns out better than the source. Or you can go the Ultimate universe route, or explore other parts of the Wolverine character.

Not to mention his powers are pretty basic: healing factor and a fairly indestructible skeleton. No flashy mind powers blasting from his forehead, lasers from his eyes, superman flying, or superhuman strength. If there is one thing I AM bored with is flashy effects and cramming as many superheroes you can in one screen. Save that for the MOVIES! I'd like to see a show about very few mutants. Hell I would he happy if Logan and Sabertooth were the ONLY mutants that appear in the show.

Also, I have no interest in mutants of minor distinction, and then slapping the Xmen title on it. If you want to do a show about the Xmen, use the originals, at least.

I certainly don't dislike Wolverine, an Id have no issue with him in a show. He certainly was over saturated at times, to the point that in an issue of New Avengers Cap asked him how he seemed to be everywhere at once (an in universe joke referring to the fact he is an Avenger, an x-Man, had two solo books, started in 3 team books and carried elsewhere), and he said that was his actual mutant power.

Despite cancelling Fantastic Four, and killing Wolverine off in the comics, Marvel says they aren't trying to hurt Fox's market share...

According to my plan above, I'd just give him a break. Spend the first season to build the team then bring him in to disrupt it.

His mutant power is obviously healing and having claws, but his super power is just being angry.

It's like he was designed solely for a specific demographic to say "see, it's cool that you're angry and nobody likes you."

But my dislike of Wolverine isn't really the topic here so I'll leave it at that.

Start a topic about hating Wolverine. I'd love to read that

Despite cancelling Fantastic Four, and killing Wolverine off in the comics, Marvel says they aren't trying to hurt Fox's market share...

According to my plan above, I'd just give him a break. Spend the first season to build the team then bring him in to disrupt it.

this is just really funny to me

I have no doubt that if Spider-Man weren't the unofficial mascot of Marvel and their top seller, comics they'd get rid of him too. They killed Peter Parker in the Ultimate universe, and now it seems as though they may be merging their two main continuities... be curious to see who is Spider-Man when its over.

Wolverine's power is 80s Action Hero. He's basically The Highlander and The Lethal Weapon. A show around him would just be The Highlander. That's not meant to be derogatory.

If this X-Men series is attached to the films then I would make it as simple as possible. Keep the starring cast small (maybe a trio at most), keep them away from Xaviers and world changing events. Maybe play with the idea of The Underground Railroad for mutants.

Wolverine's powers have been retconned over the years.

Originally, he was a literal wolverine that was force-mutated into human form and given claw-gloves.

By the time he became an x-regular, he just had heightened animal like senses/reflexes/strength and the healing factor. The claws being bionic additions given to him when his bones were laced with adamantium. His healing power worked slow too. There are several great issues of Claremonts original run where Wolverine is sidelined as his body mends-- that slow recover was one of the things that made him cool.

Then he got x-tremed in the 90s and his healing power was suddenly twenty times faster/more powerful and the claws were actually revealed to be part of his natural skeletal system.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Overexposure of Wolverine is relative. I suppose to those who read comics regularly, and watch the animated series, etc, they could be sick of him.

But for me, I've just seen the movies, haven't read comics for 20 years except a rare occasion, or when I would read wikis to see what's changed. So, I don't feel over-exposed to Wolverine and, since Jackman is the only live action Wolverine I am really aware of, I'd be for seeing a TV live action Wolverine.

By the time he became an x-regular, he just had heightened animal like senses/reflexes/strength and the healing factor. The claws being bionic additions given to him when his bones were laced with adamantium. His healing power worked slow too. There are several great issues of Claremonts original run where Wolverine is sidelined as his body mends-- that slow recover was one of the things that made him cool.

That is the era I like best, though I would be for losing the animal-like senses, and just keeping him at upper limit human level strength.

I too like that earlier, but not the original, version.

I think Wolverine is suffering from Superman Syndrome. I know both have died, but I think that storyline is born from a need to downplay their otherwise constant invulnerablity. As such like Superman I think Wolverine needs a depowering.

Wolverine might benefit from just being peak human and with a great feeling factor, but not this instant heal stuff. Drop all the invisible to cameras stuff they once had, drop the superhuman sense of smell. Just let him be the 80s Action Hero. Rambo surviving a thru and thru his torso and igniting it to seal the wound, Chuck Norris pouring beer on his head to combat asphyxia etc. Just allow his healing factor to account for the classic action hero survivability and then treat him like The Man with No Name... meaning lay off the end of the world / most important character plots with him. Get small. Intimate. Local problems.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.