The Road to WrestleMania

Phil_Muzza

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly Lesnar was at RAW this week but walked out due to a dispute. A popular rumor floating around is that Reigns tested positive for steroids. Lesnar feels that being tied to this will lead to negative publicity on him. I don't buy this, but it is interesting message board fodder.

I think the kiss ass session on RAW was embarrassing for Reigns. It is almost like WWE is intentionally trying to sabotage him...almost as if they want the fans to hate Reigns. Everyone hates the teacher's pet.

I read somewhere that the Lesnar thing was due to him not being happy with the deal they're giving him to stay, which to me is a bit more plausible. Either way we don't know for sure.

Personally I hope he stays and walks out of WM as the champ, but I doubt it'll happen.

If he decides not to stay I'd be happy with Heyman screwing Brock at WM and aligning himself with Reigns. That way we wouldn't have to suffer through any more of RR promos and you never know he might make a decent heel.

Lesnar has served a solid purpose but WWE needs to get away from these part time and one shot wrestlers. Guys like Lesnar, HHH, Sting, Undertaker should not be taking spotlight away from the future of the company and guys who bust their ass all year.

The shame of WWE right now is they actually have a lot of guys with talent who are young but they won't truly pull the trigger on them and turn the company over. They have plenty of guys where they don't need too rely on these once a year wrestlers.

I like Lesnar as champ. Him being a part timer makes him a special attraction, especially after what he did to Taker and Cena. When you see him wrestle it's a big deal.

I know most people don't see it that way, but the Brock thing totally works for me.

That said Im sure he'll lose at WM.

Lesnar has served a solid purpose but WWE needs to get away from these part time and one shot wrestlers. Guys like Lesnar, HHH, Sting, Undertaker should not be taking spotlight away from the future of the company and guys who bust their ass all year.

The shame of WWE right now is they actually have a lot of guys with talent who are young but they won't truly pull the trigger on them and turn the company over. They have plenty of guys where they don't need too rely on these once a year wrestlers.

Right or wrong, I tune in to see part-timers wrestle. Generally speaking, I only pay close attention to wrestling from the Rumble to WM.

I like Lesnar only showing up here and there. It is a throwback to back in the day when it was special to see the big names...I NEVER missed a Saturday Night's Main Event.

There's a reason why we have part timers and it's simply due to the fact that the current roster, minus Cena, doesn't sell. We all think Cesaro's great and many think Bryan's getting a raw shake but the reality is that they don't make money.

I think what we're all seeing is how much the WWE is strugglining without having competition. Vince used to moan that WCW was built on guys he established, but the irony is that the old WWF was the same way. All of the stars from the early days were established guys from other promotions. Even years later the only guys that mattered were guys that had spent years in other promotions. To date the only home grown talent who ever reached the stratosphere is the Rock (unless you count Cena) and frankly that only happened because he's awesome.

In short they don't know how to develop talent on their own. When they conquered the wrestling world they killed the golden goose, which was guys from various promotions competing to get to NY and hit it big.

I came across an interview with Vince where he pretty much admitted it this ( the Canadian guy Lamberg I think). He reveled in hoarding talent who were known commodities. Now that well is dry.

I would even go as far as to say that Vince really isn't even a wrestling guy. He's just a promoter. He figured out a way to market his father's product nationwide with stolen talent and made a fortune. He would've done the same thing if it would have been monster trucks or girls gone wild. The same can't be said for Verne Gagne, Eddie Graham, Jerry Jarrett, Bill Watts, Don Owens, Ole Anderson, Dusty Rhodes, or the Crockets. These guys had a passion for kayfabe wrestling that had worked for decades and when Vince put them out of business he inadvertently fucked himself.

But ultimately who am I kidding. I still watch this shit.

The guys don't "draw money" because WWE simply won't put their faith in them and give them a chance to. Plus by constantly bringing in part time and one off wrestlers they are telling fans "the guys around all year aren't good enough." Which isn't true.

I agree with some of your premise though. Vince took guys who had a solid wrestling background and gave them a chance to become superstars. Austin had alot of experience but was no star before WWF.

The problem also is that the company is public now. In the past the WWF could take a long term approach and say "we need to develop new stars, we know we may take a step back in the short term but long term its worth it." They can't do that now because they have investors who demand quick results.

The fact is the WWE needs to focus in week in and week out putting on a good show, if they do that then everything else will take care of itself. Look at the situation in 1997/98. The company has almost no truly established stars. Brett had left, HBK was retired. They had Austin and Taker and Austin was a new star and Taker didn;t have quite the reverence he has today.

In the modern history of WWE there are only a few guys who really on their own made a difference. Basically Hogan, Austin and Rock. Maybe Cena, a couple other guys for short bursts like Warrior. So if they are looking for guys to "draw money" on their own, it could be a long wait because they don't really come along often. You can't plan on guys like that, you can't force guys like that. They just happen.

They should just try to put on the best wrestling show they can week in and week out now and put the focus on the guys who are there alot. If they do that maybe, just maybe someone will step forward and become bigger than the business. But it's not going to happen if you don't give them the chance. And cramming the upper card of your biggest show with old, past their prime, once a year guys isn't even giving the young guys a chance.

You may be right. I would certainly prefer it if they used the young guys more, but I can see the Vince logic in relying on the old timers. It's similar to the way Vince would rely on celebrities for big shows years ago. He always seems to want some involvement from people who aren't part of his day to day roster in order to make things seem more special.

This gets back to my point about Vince being more of a promoter than a true wrestling guy. I think if he was more of a true wrestling promoter he'd just plow ahead with his talent and not be so outside the box. Unfortunately, though, he's the only show in town.

I think past stars have a role to play in the special event type shows, I'm not saying they don't. Just there is too much of it.

Another huge problem is that right now if you aren't in the main storyline you are nowhere. There is no order to the midcard. They need the IC belt to matter again. Look at Austin in 1997. He was insanely popular and was fighting for the IC title. Yet no one screamed "put Austin in the main event, give him the World Title!!". No one screamed that because the IC title mattered and we knew he'd have a couple good feuds over it and eventually graduate to the main event. Same for Rock and HHH, they feuded over the IC belt forever and everyone was happy with it. We knew eventually they'd both be WWF Champs.

Oh I totally miss the relevance of the IC title. The way they have those guys lose non title matches is a disgrace. No argument here.

Be it Perfect, Rude, or Savage the IC belt used to really be a big deal. Now they just pis on it. I d don't get it.

This partly goes back to titles being defended on television every week. Back in the day it was cool to see because more often than not the heavyweight title was only defended at pay per views. Now its no big deal to see the title defended every other Monday night. Well not since Brock won the title. Hell the title could change hands twice before the next ppv. The title was a goal to achieve. A wrestler was built up in his quest for the title. Now they throw the title on a guy and say "let's see what you can do with this."

• 4 weeks later...

It was a pretty solid show, actually. I wish there had been a bit more of this and that (ie: DX vs. nWo, Taker/Wyatt aftermath, More action with HHH & Rock). But really enjoyed the show.

My biggest critique, and I'm sure WWE would agree, is no open air stadiums if you're gonna be on the west coast. Just really took away from some great entrances.

Speaking of entrances - WTF HHH....

Yeah the HHH entrance was beyond stupid. Outside of that it was a pretty good show. Giving DB the IC belt should somewhat appease the fans still upset he's not the world champ. Giving Cena the US title will elevate it's importance and hopefully keep Cena away from the top of the card.

I was kinda surprised to see Sting lose to HHH. Pretty cool seeing Dx face off with the NWO.

As for the main event I thought it was great. All three guys came out looking good. Reigns got beat but it took 4 F5s plus Rollins to beat him, Lesnar lost but wasn't actually pinned, and Rollins of course got the belt. That's the way you book a match. I was worried the match would suck but wound up being pretty damn good.

Thank God Brock signed a new contract. Otherwise it would've been months of Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins.

They really need to do something with Reigns. The fans just hate him. Maybe he and Ambrose just need to turn heel again and reform the Shield with Rollins.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.