The Road to WrestleMania

Phil_Muzza

So who watched the Royal Rumble and what did you make of it?

The triple threat match was great, everybody came out of that looking better than when they went in. I knew Rollins was only really added so that he could take the fall and Cena doesn't, but he took the ball and ran with it. Reigns might have won the Rumble, but Rollins was the star of last night.

The Rumble itself was booked so poorly. Bryan lasting such little time was a slap in the face to the fans. Ziggler coming in at #30, eliminating Barrett and Cesaro then unceremoniously dumped out by two guys the crowd just don't care about anymore in a matter of minutes was poor. Such little depth in talent was clear for all to see. The Rumble match generally starts with two big/semi big names and/or feeds off of a current feud, this year we got The Miz and R-Truth. The WWE had to know after last years debacle that they need to go with someone the fans can get behind, Roman Reigns being forced upon the fans when he clearly isn't ready is going to backlash (doing this in Philly was also a terrible idea).

CancelWWENetwork was the number one hashtag worldwide.

Reigns will now get the Rocky Maivia treatment and I don't believe he is good enough to turn it around like The Rock did.

Also since they gave Ziggler that big Survivor Series moment what have they done with him? He has layed hot potato with the IC belt and been fired for two weeks. The booking is just awful.

I was there, the booing was crazy for Reigns winning. Then it got worse when Rock came out and lifted his hand. It was like "you think we are dumb? you think we are gonna decide to cheer this guy just cause the Rock raises his hand? Now we are really pissed!"

It was a great show until Bryan's completely pointless and inconsequential elimination. At least make an angle out of it, Jesus Christ.

Pretty belligerent anti-fan booking. I resubscribed to the Network for the Rumble and immediately cancelled after. Won't be watching RAW for a few weeks and am very happy I didn't end up getting WrestleMania tickets like I planned. It's shaping up to be a **** show.

Reigns winning next year probably would've been perfect. He's just nowhere near ready for a main event program, ESPECIALLY WrestleMania.

I was praying for Bryan to win and to bring in the angle of Bryan never having lost the title to begin with. Talk up how he had to vacate his belt yet Brock can disappear for months at a time. Bryan pulls off another underdog moment at Mania and gets the win, Lesnar destroys him and walks away, Heyman stops halfway at the ramp and signals for Rollins to cash in. Rollins/Bryan feud for the summer, Heyman has a new guy (Rollins probably won't have the Authority after Mania) and the fans get what they really want.

I just can't believe they pulled this sht two years in a row. It is anti fan booking. Nobody wants Reigns.

When they pull this crap I always think about WM3. The big match was Hogan Andre, but everyone walked away talking about Savage Steamboat. That's what the fans want. Here we are almost 30 years later and we're still seeing guys get pushed that no one wants.

I'm glad the audience gave them shit for it. It was well deserved.

Vince said on Austins podcast that he listens to what the fans want, clearly he doesn't. He insists on trying to force feed the fans who he thinks should headline.

The fans wanted Punk, he got a year long reign yet played second fiddle to Cena all year (Cena vs. Big Show and Cena vs. Laurinaitis headlined over the champion).
The fans want Bryan, Ziggler and Ambrose: Bryan is dumped out unceremoniously, Ziggler gets roughly two minutes in the ring and Ambrose hasn't won on ppv in how long?!

Look at what Triple H is doing in NXT. Listening to the fans. Vince needs to step aside soon.

I've heard people argue that Reigns will be better for the casual fans, yet it's the hardcore fans that supply most of the companies money, why crap on them?!

I've been using an IP proxy to get the network here in Scotland for the past year, only really watched some pay per views, the monday night wars and NXT. MNW is finished and I can download NXT so I have happily canceled in the hope they get the message.

If this forces their hand in anyway it might involve the briefcase or Reigns possibly getting his shot at FastLane.

The way it's probably looking like the card will shape up will be:

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns for the WWE Championship
Triple H vs. Sting (probably for control of the WWE)

John Cena vs. Rusev
Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton

Bray Wyatt vs. Undertaker (if he returns)

Rumours are WWE officials want to do Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus III. On Twitter Ziggler hinted at a possible match between himself and Bryan and Bryan responded positively, I'd much rather that match which could steal the show (pardon the pun) much like HBK vs. Angle did.

Now that I've cooled down a bit...

Brock vs Roman isn't really that terrible. I was never mad about Roman winning, since I expected it, I was more mad at the obvious shit eliminating of Bryan, Ziggler, Wyatt, etc, people the fans were actually interested in. I'm still not anywhere near convinced Roman is ready, but whatever. At least it's something new.

Triple H vs Sting: No interest. I never got Sting, and I haven't wanted to see Triple H on my TV for at least five years now.

John Cena vs Rusev: I just wish Rusev losing his first match would actually mean something. Cena doesn't need the US Title (if it's even going to be on the line, and if it isn't, what's the point?) Rusev has done so well and grown so much this past year, hopefully a loss won't send him spiraling into Koslov territory.

Rollins vs Orton is a match I'm looking forward to. They did a really good job building this one up last year, so Orton's return should be hot. While I'm all about getting the new and fresh talents the spotlight and having guys like Cena, Kane, and Big Show start to fade away, I'm still good with Orton. He's an incredible in ring performer and whether his promos leave something to be desired or not, he has a presence that can't be denied. This should be a great match.

Bray vs UT: I don't know. I mean, if this happened last year, I'd have been super excited. But coming after the streak ending? I feel like that's all Undertaker had left. After losing, there's really only two options I see that are realistic: he never wrestles again, or he comes back for vengeance... so I'm not really sure what the storyline or interest here is, especially if Bray loses.

Bryan vs Ziggler: there we go. There's a match people want. Good. Thank you.

I'm guessing the rest will be a women's match, and probably something like Big Show/Kane vs Ambrose/someone, maybe an IC or Tag Title match (but probably not), and the battle royal.

I wonder if they will make RR v Lesnar a triple threat match like they did last year since Batista was so unpopular. I think fans hating the Batista RR win last year just added more fuel to DB's popularity. With that said, RR was so predictable it made me cringe. Batista's win, as much as I thought it was terrible booking, offered a decent Royal Rumble match and had some level of suspense.

I don't think they will two years in a row. Reigns is Vince's boy. He's not going to let anything come in the way of that. I don't even think Cena could stop it at this point.

While he was always clearly the weakest of the Shield, he's not really that bad. I mean, he's certainly not great and definitely not ready for the main event, but he has a chance to grow if Vince will take the reigns (I hate myself for that pun) off him and stop overbooking. But, you know, it's Vince. As much as I don't like Triple H on my TV, I like him behind the scenes. I think he's great there. I wish he could stay there and I wish he could be in complete charge there. Maybe in another ten years...

So I just watched the Rumble last night and I'm not entirely sure what I was watching! Especially as a former die-hard watcher to a not-even-casual watcher (major PPV only via 'legit' means).

Triple Threat was nice -I always love a good strong triple threat.

The two tag matches to start was nice and strong too.

The rumble itself - Bubba Ray Dudley!! That was epic and awesome and he's great - anyone know the word on why he was there (has he left TNA?) was it just a one time appearance etc...? Boy, the crowd adored that! Also, DDP was nice too - but nothing like Bubba Ray. Seriously, that was the highlight.

The elimination of major players in really lame and quiet fashions was very frustrating and annoying. I'm also curious about the whole Rusev ending thing - I recall seeing him go through the middle ropes and wondered about that - but his 'sudden' re-appearance at the end was lack-luster and lame. I always enjoy Kofi too - that was nicely done this year and the way he eliminated himself being kicked off the curtain just shows his talent - why is he buried?

It was just a poor ending to what is usually one of the better matches of the year because of the novelty.

Bubba was a one night thing and yeah he seems to be done with TNA.

You should check out some of the NXT Takeover specials, it's WWEs best product right now by far.

I wouldn't mind a battle royale match at Mania again, but it should be for something better than a stupid trophy that won't be seen on TV after four weeks. Give the winner an IC title shot at the next ppv or something. I feel like creative go out of their way to be stupid when wrestling is pretty simple: people fighting people for belts.

Yeah I know. Another reason Punk walked was due to the uncertainty of ppv pay days with the introduction of the network.

Watched SD, was boring as hell. Reigns (who isn't as bad as people are making out but nowhere near ready for the main event of Mania) got a Cena-esque reaction, mostly women cheering and the men booing.

• 2 weeks later...

NXT....woah!

Itami vs. Breeze, great opener.
Tag title match, solid.
Corbin vs. Dempsey, couldn't care less (I think they are protecting Corbin right now because he seems quite green)
Neville v. Balor (holy sh!t)

Fatal 4 way, incredible
Main event, brilliant storytelling and unique finish.

Vince please retire quickly and let Hunter run things. Even the commentators and creative should be 'promoted' to the main roster.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.