Anti-Vaxxers Ruin Disneyland

Pong Messiah

Saw that in the news this morning. Don't get it.

The anti-vaccine crowd comes almost exclusively from staunch Democratic areas and are made up of the sorts of people who will vote Democrat without even looking at the names of the candidates.

So basically, they pandered to a group that would rather vote for Hitler than a Republican, gained nothing and only increased the chances of losing votes in the centrist/undecided crowd. Whoever is advising them needs to get fired ASAP.

Otherwise, if this is a preview of campaigns to come, we might as well just get it over with and crown Hillary now- save us all the time and money.

Since I hate uber conservative stooges and hippie jack assess equally, I'm unshaken!

I wouldn't call Christie an uber conservative. He's more an opportunist than anything.

Silly position to take though. There are just no votes to gain on the issue:

-it's not a position the country is moving right on, so you can carve out space in the new middle (e.g. 2nd amendment rights)

-it's not a position you have to pander to the base on (e.g. abortion)

-it's not a position you have to take to get the $$ (oil/gas regulations, taxes)

-it's not a position that the Dems are losing credibility on with a key demographic (e.g. foreign policy, civil liberties)

I think I may have figured it out though. If you read the interview, it looks like what happened is that Christie just got caught off guard and tried to BS his way through an answer that he probably thought, in his mind, sounded sorta non-committal. I read what he said, and it actually isn't as bad as I thought, and he even walked it back later (probably after his aides were like, yo- WTF?)

Still though, amateur showing by Christie. He's gotta get better at these missteps or he's gonna have trouble with the primaries. His only base is my demographic, and if he doesn't get more polished, those types of voters will break 3 to 1 for Bush.

Paul is a different story. I looked into it some more, and it appears he might be a true believer.

Since I hate uber conservative stooges and hippie jack assess equally, I'm unshaken!

I wouldn't call Christie an uber conservative. He's more an opportunist than anything.

Silly position to take though. There are just no votes to gain on the issue:

-it's not a position the country is moving right on, so you can carve out space in the new middle (e.g. 2nd amendment rights)

-it's not a position you have to pander to the base on (e.g. abortion)

-it's not a position you have to take to get the $$ (oil/gas regulations, taxes)

-it's not a position that the Dems are losing credibility on with a key demographic (e.g. foreign policy, civil liberties)

I think I may have figured it out though. If you read the interview, it looks like what happened is that Christie just got caught off guard and tried to BS his way through an answer that he probably thought, in his mind, sounded sorta non-committal. I read what he said, and it actually isn't as bad as I thought, and he even walked it back later (probably after his aides were like, yo- WTF?)

Still though, amateur showing by Christie. He's gotta get better at these missteps or he's gonna have trouble with the primaries. His only base is my demographic, and if he doesn't get more polished, those types of voters will break 3 to 1 for Bush.

Paul is a different story. I looked into it some more, and it appears he might be a true believer.

totally agree on Christine.. Paul... I can't decide if he's a true believer or if he thinks it will win him lib votes

Guest El Chalupacabra

Rand Paul is an MD, like is father before him, so he should know better.

It's pure politics with him, if you ask me.

Well sure. But I would hold that for many, politics forms our beliefs. For example, I know many people who fully support cutting various welfare programs despite having benefitted from the same programs in the past, solely because they have chosen to be Republican. Similarly, I know many people who were vehemently anti-gay marriage in 2008, but now talk about how everyone who holds that stance is evil because they're now Democrats and that's the party line.

So the question isn't whether or not it's politics, but whether or not it's politics that have driven him to hold the views or just to claim them. My guess would be that he really hold them.

Guest El Chalupacabra

And I would argue that once he/she becomes a politician, he/shewill do the most politically expedient thing, even if it doesn't exactly line up with their personal beliefs, just so long as it appeases their political base (or they believe it does).

Paul is clearly setting himself up for a presidential run, so when Hillary says one thing, he will take the opposite view, just to be contrarian.

Funny, because all the kids that have been flowing in from South/Middle America weren't given a choice to be vaccinated. They just were.

Some of the anti-vaxx movement is also just pure idiocy. I was working with a temporary employee last year whose wife had just had a baby and he said they weren't going to vaccinate because, and I'm quoting, "I only ever felt bad after I got them, and no one gets those bad diseases anymore. Better for my kid to be pure".

Hearing that word "pure" thrown around a lot by the people who are still scrambling to hold onto their belief that letting their kids be walking germ mobiles is okay.

OMG1 I just heard the measles blamed on illegal immigrants today in the school's office as I lead my students back from recess. WTF?

we did successfully wipe out measles here through vaccination. But it keeps coming back in through foreign travelers. And now with the anti-Vax movement, we have lowered herd immunity so it's making inroads once again. But blaming it on illegals is a stretch.

Rand Paul is the Obama of the libertarians. Hence why I think he was making those dipshit comments. They're all, government don't tell me what to do! But Christie's dumbassery makes sense based on Amanda's analysis. Opportunist, indeed. Sometimes it gets you in trouble.

For years I've had sponsored emails from Newsmax et. al. espousing anti-vax/anti-conventional medicine viewpoints.

Not surprising. Up until the last decade, the craziest anti-fluoridation/the-feds-r-gonna-control-our-minds-and-our-children-or-maybe-track-us-through-vaccines rhetoric I heard came almost exclusively from conservative black-helicopter types. Apparently, Dr. Strangelove was a documentary.

For years I've had sponsored emails from Newsmax et. al. espousing anti-vax/anti-conventional medicine viewpoints.

Not surprising. Up until the last decade, the craziest anti-fluoridation/the-feds-r-gonna-control-our-minds-and-our-children-or-maybe-track-us-through-vaccines rhetoric I heard came almost exclusively from conservative black-helicopter types. Apparently, Dr. Strangelove was a documentary.

Heh!

So it would be the Koch Bro's rather than the communists who are sapping and impurifying all of our precious bodily fluids?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.