Anti-Vaxxers Ruin Disneyland

Pong Messiah

Well, ruin is probably too strong a word, since Disneyland is pretty dumb already, but still, little kids who are too young to be vaccinated shouldn't suffer because other parents are too lazy/stupid/superstitious/etc... to vaccinate their filthy spawn.

On the bright side, health officials are finally warning people to stay away from Disneyland, which is something they should have been doing for decades.

The mindset of anti-vaxxers always makes me think of this song, which is kinda sad, since I'm sure many of them don't live in trailer parks and actually have some semblance of an education:

I know a few anti-vaxxers and all of them have at least an undergrad degree, and many with more advanced degrees. In my experience, they tend to be educated, liberal and middle-class. Anti-vax is the new organic.

The best thing in the world is to hear one talk about Republicans being anti-science. I've been tempted to ask if that means they will be voting Republican.

I know a few anti-vaxxers and all of them have at least an undergrad degree, and many with more advanced degrees. In my experience, they tend to be educated, liberal and middle-class. Anti-vax is the new organic.

Pfft - yeah. 'Cause nothing says organic and all natural like your kid being stuck in an iron lung.

Pfft - yeah. 'Cause nothing says organic and all natural like your kid being stuck in an iron lung.
its true vaders armor was 100 per cent fair trade carbon neutral organic

Yeah, the trailer park comment is off the mark. Trailer park kids aren't that bad. The bad apples are from former white-flight, now dilapidated suburbs around big cities that have alcohol and drug problems. Those kids damn sure get vaccinated so they can go to public school and get lunches, services, etc. for free. Those kids didn't ask for fetal alcohol syndrome though.

Both problems, anti-vax and screwed up babies, stem from bad parenting. Our education system sucks, or people are just really stupid/apathetic. The information is out there and accessible. I don't get how anyone could think vaccinations are bad. I will believe scientific consensus over Jenny McCarthy every single time.

I'd really rather have horrible diarrhea than go to Disneyland anyways though. I just don't get the appeal, but hey whatever floats people's boats.

Good post, and totally agree that being stuck at home, or even a rapey truck stop with diarrhea is preferable to Disneyland/Disney World. I can understand going if you have young, unextraordinary children or are perhaps caretaker of a mentally challenged adult with an insatiable appetite for saccharin. But if you are over the age of ten and want to go to one of those hellholes I can't help but wonder what sort of childhood trauma you sufferered and/or the terrible life choices you are working through.

:no:

Both problems, anti-vax and screwed up babies, stem from bad parenting. Our education system sucks, or people are just really stupid/apathetic. The information is out there and accessible. I don't get how anyone could think vaccinations are bad. I will believe scientific consensus over Jenny McCarthy every single time.

A lot of it is the paranoid style in American politics and society. "They're out to get us." It's always someone. In this case, "big pharma." Not that the powers that be have completely clean hands, mind you. But so many people cook up these bizarre persecution complexes. It just seems to be a thing Stateside.

Paranoia not wholly unjustified.

The fatalistic cynicism in the openly totalitarian states of the 20th century. The paranoia in yesterday and today's open-but-dishonest states. People may be misinformed and dumb and stubborn, but they aren't crazy for what they feel. Makes sense in context.

Good post, and totally agree that being stuck at home, or even a rapey truck stop with diarrhea is preferable to Disneyland/Disney World. I can understand going if you have young, unextraordinary children or are perhaps caretaker of a mentally challenged adult with an insatiable appetite for saccharin. But if you are over the age of ten and want to go to one of those hellholes I can't help but wonder what sort of childhood trauma you sufferered and/or the terrible life choices you are working through.

There's seriously something wrong with you.

Paranoia not wholly unjustified.

The fatalistic cynicism in the openly totalitarian states of the 20th century. The paranoia in yesterday and today's open-but-dishonest states. People may be misinformed and dumb and stubborn, but they aren't crazy for what they feel. Makes sense in context.

Not wholly unjustified, but so often turned in the wrong direction. There's plenty of reason not to like "big pharma" and the health insurance conglomerates. But in response to this, the general public BUYS INTO the astroturf political organizations and causes these interests create in order to block precisely the kinds of reforms that could potentially reel them in, all the while broadcasting their defiance of the same by rejecting one of the greatest accomplishments of modern medicine: vaccination. This is not just misinformed, dumb, stubborn AND crazy and makes zero sense in any context, it's also downright evil and totally inexcusable. I DO wish polio and the iron lung on these pieces of ****. Too bad it's innocent children that will suffer in the end.

I have a theory about that. I think it's mostly girls with screwed up value systems taught to them by their screwy Mom's who are making up for a shitty life that they had by spoiling their kids and doing things they didn't get to do. My niece is a sophomore at Baylor and spent her winter break at Disney World with her best friend. Both are chunky and have never kissed a boy or dated in high school. I think they're closeted lesbians and can't come out because Mom is a raging Tea Party freak who would pay for reprogramming if they/she came out as a lesbian.

Wait-- so I'm clear, anyone who has ever been to Disneyland is spoiled, fat, stupid, privilege, lazy, mentally deficient, poorly parented/parenting wastes of humanity? That's what we're saying? Anyone who does something we don't like is a garbage person. Got it.

I think it is mostly. I am being slightly flip too. I don't particularly like my sister in law and her parenting skillz. So I am biased. I saw a lot of pictures of family trips to Disney World/Land as a teacher and relative of people who've gone. American's are fat so it is not hard to generalize and blanket statement. Most Mom's I know look forward to seeing the park with their families and seeing their kids reactions and dream that the vacation will be the greatest thing ever to happen to their family. What usually happens is that kids are over-tired and tend to make little vacationing landmines because their schedule is off and even if they've seen the movie they're so already saturated with the merchandise that by the time they see the thing they want they're sick and have lost interest in it and Mom feels like the whole things been ruined and most report they were just happy to get home at the end of the day. I think there is some over compensating going on and I am just being an arm chair psychologist.

I will say that Disney does theme parks well. I live in a city with a Six Flags and the experience at Six Flags is no where as good as the one you get at Disney's options.

I went to Disneyland as a kid. It was fun. There were rides and bright flashy things and I enjoyed it. As an adult, i took my kid and he has the same reaction and we have fun together. Last I checked he was skinny as a rail, I could lose a few pounds-- but he's not spoiled, nor was I. I have 3 college degrees and last I checked my kid was on track to matriculate from the 4th grade. So literally everything you said is not true of somebody who goes to Disneyland.

Have any of you Disney Haters been to Epcot? As an adult, I like it. Some of it is cheesy but it's not the Magic Kingdom. Do you hate Universal Studios also? Just curious. I'm looking forward to taking Quinn next time we go to Florida in June because she loves Mickey Mouse. We'll probably do Animal Kingdom so that it's more like the zoo.

Oh yeah, we vaccinate. on time.

I understand where you are coming from. This is why earlier in the thread I posted that people who don't vaccinate should not go to these places. Because it is about having fun and seeing things and being with your family. I think it would suck to get a disease from someone there. And I have never not advocated kids not going as a teacher in the real world.

Have any of you Disney Haters been to Epcot? As an adult, I like it. Some of it is cheesy but it's not the Magic Kingdom. Do you hate Universal Studios also? Just curious. I'm looking forward to taking Quinn next time we go to Florida in June because she loves Mickey Mouse. We'll probably do Animal Kingdom so that it's more like the zoo.

Oh yeah, we vaccinate. on time.

You better let me know when you are here, yo.

Yeah, Disney's kind of awesome, as a kid and an adult. I even love Magic Kingdom--was there last night and this morning. Rode a bunch of rides, saw some fireworks and a parade, hung out with family that was in town, bitched about tourists with no sense of spatial awareness. Good times.

On topic, I will never understand why some people don't want to vaccinate their children.

Dude it's just f-cking Disneyland. Stop trying so hard.

My wife and I have taken our kids (4) to Disneyland three times. Planning another trip. My wife and I could loose some weight sure. Our kids are fit, smart and compassionate. Our oldest is already working on... well I guess it's pre-premed, terminology, college level chemistry and mathematics. Our oldest is also a science/math tutor at his high school. The other day he correctly diagnosed himself, as having appendicitis, when his doctor examined him and at first proclaimed he didn't have it (because he didn't exhibit fever, nausea nor did his outward display of pain indicate the severity). He insisted he was right; logically detailing each bout of intense pain, the precise starting location, plus the radiation of it and so his doctor ordered labs. He was right. His doctor congratulated him. After the surgery it was explained the appendix was not perforated, but it was extremely inflamed and could have burst at any moment.

My point being that my oldest having been to Disneyland had zero affect on his innate abilities. Disneyland is just ****ing cool to visit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.