'The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven' recants everything

Pong Messiah

Guest El Chalupacabra

I suspect his parents had a hand in the heaven story, actually. Medical bills for 10 year old paraplegics are expensive. What better way to pay for it than to write a book and sell it, right? But yeah, good he told the truth, ultimately. But then again, it could just be sour grapes because they didn't cash in like they thought they would, so they spilled the beans.

A confessed fraud does not do anything to faith, the Bible, or organized religion. It simply exposed him (and anyone who were in on the scam) as a person with morally bankrupt motivations--until he decided to come clean.

Moreover, some will gloss over his statement:

People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible."

He's not engaging in the kind of immature, atheistic cackling observed in various threads attached to this story--acting as though they achieved something.

His takeaway is not to trash the Bible, or faith.

I'm satisfied with the knowledge that we are simply a conduit for rapid entropy increases. It gives human life meaning and a goal.

"Bros, you're star stuff, like...for a little bit. Deep right?" -Carl Sagan

I can't remember the exact quote.

True - pretty much every atom in your body heavier than lithium was forged in the heart of a supernova. It's interesting when you ponder that. I like the idea that we're simply naturally efficient entropy maximizers. We generate the most disorder for the least amount of energy, though I don't think it's proven mathematically.

I get overwhelmed to think about that kind of thing. I grew up going to church, but I never, ever had a "religious experience". I smoked weed in high school, never got the stoner philosophy. But man, I sit down and watch Cosmos (old and new series), think about ecology, physics, what have you, and I get a feeling of overwhelming, immense awe.

Closest thing to a spiritual experience for a nonspiritual person, I suppose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.