2014 NFL Pick'em Conference Championship Or Pick Your Super Bowl Teams.

Ms. Spam

I just find it interesting that this is the third week in a row that we've seen some kind of controversy. Be it the PI no call when Dallas beat Detroit, the Dez thing in GB, and now deflategate it just seems like that's all people want to talk about.

It's almost seems that just covering the game itself isn't good enough anymore. There has to be some juicy subplot/ conspiracy theory to keep peoples' interest.

The issue was found at the end of the first half and supposedly corrected by the start of the second half.

Various people have theories as to how it happened, how refs handling the balls between every play didn't notice something that is so hysterically egregious and an affront to all life on planet. I guess we'll find out soon if the league has evidence of tampering... penalties result from tampering after approved. If evidence can't be found of after the fact tampering then the refs were complicit and/or incompetent. Or some other factor caused a change. Or, and this one will be the favorite, the culprits were just successful in covering their tracks.

Apparently teams/players try to get away with these things prior to inspection. In November last year Aaron Rodgers explained to Phil Simms that he has pushed inflation past regulation because that is what he likes and if the refs catch it, they catch it, if they don't then good for him. In that light, kinda puts the refs on the hot seat... unless tampering after the fact, of course. I fully endorse penalties for after the fact tampering as stipulated by league rules. Either way; first half deflated-balls score 17-7, second half regulation-balls score 28-0.

All that said this feels like a WWE heel/face build up. Butts in seats.

Colts fans shouldn't talk about throwing games btw, glass houses and all.

I called them out for that at length right here, as you well know. That was boolsheet too. But even then, as bad as that was, that wasn't because they wanted to rig their opening playoff matchup. That's just ****ing weak. But point being, the reason I brought it up, is that Bill seems unable to realize the thing Jimmy Johnson once said ... "Sometimes you should just win because you're the much better team. It's harsh but true."

The penalty, if proven intentional and tampered after approval checks, by rule is 25k. Which is the same as the average personal foul fine. Not saying anyone's view that this is cheating is wrong, it literally is cheating when a rule is broken. Just bringing it into perspective of how egregious it is viewed by the NFL... as in not much, it is a simple infraction.

Again it is a common practice to doctor the balls, as displayed by numerous reports detailing how QBs like their balls and how they push the limits of how their balls can be. It is the refs job to ensure everyone's balls are regulation. Only tampering with balls after approval of their condition is punishable by rule. This entire process was argued into the league by Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre (way back when Favre was still a Packer). Up until then messing with balls and offenses providing balls was not allowed, home team provided all balls and prepared them within regulations per that teams preference.

However Spygate was also a simple infraction, but media fueled hysteria literally got Congress involved. So I fully expect Belichick to be drawn and quartered over this, proven complicit after approval or not.

Keep carrying the water, Torch.

They cheated years ago, they cheated this weekend, there's probably stuff in between we don't know. They'll get hammered for it. A draft pick, which doesn't matter because Belichick will waste it by trading out of the first round anyway, and even on the off-chance Belichick/Kraft get suspended it'll be next season. They're still going to beat Seattle, it's not a big deal.

A draft pick for this is the like a parent putting a child on restriction for a month over eating a candy before dinner. It's overboard and back in reality it is not the stipulated punishment for the infraction.

You imply I look at this situation in this manner due to my fandom and that is, quite frankly, insulting. I feel my view is a rational assessment of the situation and rules. When the NFL does rule on this they will likely be harsher than stipulated due to the media hysteria regardless of proven tampering.

As for the Super Bowl, the Seahawks are built exactly the way the Patriots don't want a team to be. The Seahawks are not just well rounded, they are scrappy like an underdog but as skilled as the number one seed should imply. The Seahawks have a great chance to line up player by player and win those battles.

I think the possibility is there, but I think it's much lower than 50/50.

I've always thought any punishment would be next season.

I'm more than a little sorry this wasn't after a closer game (not even necessarily with my team, or even the Patriots). I can not even imagine the shitstorm to follow.

Personally what they did doesn't bother me. However they did break the rules and if the NFL imposes a harsh penalty, I'm not bothered by that either. I just wish it could be handled in game. I don't get how the Colts equipment manager would immediately know a ball was not inflated correctly yet the officials who constantly handle it don't.

I mean why not if the refs think a ball is under inflated don't they quickly check it, if its not right there is a 15 yard penalty and the ball is thrown out.

The AFC is pretty weak. The Pats struggled against the Packers and they'll struggle even more against the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. The Ravens were the only other legit contender in the AFC, while the Broncos, Bengals and Colts would have been on the outside looking in if they had played in the NFC.

It's almost like single elimination playoffs are a crapshoot and you shouldn't put as much stock as we do in one, two, or three game sample sizes.

Almost.

The AFC is pretty weak. The Pats struggled against the Packers and they'll struggle even more against the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. The Ravens were the only other legit contender in the AFC, while the Broncos, Bengals and Colts would have been on the outside looking in if they had played in the NFC.

Denver finished 2nd in DVOA and 4th in weighted DVOA... they were very clearly one of the best teams in the league throughout the year. Colts and Bengals were paper tigers though, sure.

It's almost like single elimination playoffs are a crapshoot and you shouldn't put as much stock as we do in one, two, or three game sample sizes.

Almost.

Denver finished 2nd in DVOA and 4th in weighted DVOA... they were very clearly one of the best teams in the league throughout the year. Colts and Bengals were paper tigers though, sure.

Denver got beat by the paper tiger Colts though. Denver rarely looked like the powerhouse team they were last season.

It's old hat. I say that seriously, but not disparagingly. Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger have started in 11 of the last 12 Super Bowls for the AFC. Those guys have taken up 16 of the 24 starting spots in the AFCCG since 2003. It's expected of those guys. Almost to the point that it's a non-story, as it's happening.

Denver rarely looked like the powerhouse team they were last season.

I can't say I agree with that at all. They had as many or more quality wins than anyone in the league; 9-3 against .500 or better opponents. Unstoppable at home. 2 losses against the teams playing in the Super Bowl, another at the end of the year when Manning was on one leg. The offense scored 30 points/game. I mean what are your standards, were they supposed to drop 600 points again?

As for the Colts beating them, they were playing without a quarterback. Manning couldn't make any throws. That doesn't make their season any worse in retrospect.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.