2014 NFL Pick'em Conference Championship Or Pick Your Super Bowl Teams.

Ms. Spam

I don't even think that's accurate, and I'd be surprised if you can find a non-negligble percentage of people actually saying that. But everyone who is glancing over the "allegations" is saying the same thing. What I don't understand is the people going "PFFT LIKE DEFLATED BALLS MADE A 38 POINT DIFFERENCE TYPICAL SORE LOSER SMH"

As if a closer margin of victory would have made that more against the rules.

I find it hard to care about this up until the point that it comes out that it actually happened. I do find it sad/weird/funny that they (might have) found it necessary to cheat in a game where every stat/trend/sign pointed to them being by far and away the better team.

It isn't about this game, it's what it says about their blatant disregard for the rules. How many times haven't they been caught? This stuff is way worse than "bounty-gate." I don't see how you couldn't take away multiple draft picks and suspend the coach/owner just like they did for New Orleans.

I really can't stress how little I care about this from a Colts perspective. That team was ****, I said it all year long. I have exactly zero sour grapes. The Patriots haven't beaten the Colts in a game I really cared about and had expectations for in over 5 years.

Haha! Teams breaking rules! oh ho! Too funny!

And no, it's entirely different from the Ravens game because what they did is 100% within the rules.

Tampering with the footballs, deflating them below the correct amount is against the rules.

Black.

White.

It's an asinine thing to get caught cheating for, but call it what it is. It's cheating.

Video taping the other practice is true cheating, deflating the ball is more in teh realm of gamesmanship.

Its the officials job to check the balls, why not weigh all of them before the game? This is like when a lineman knowingly holds someone and doesn't get caught for it. Is that cheating?

Basically what kind of assinine league allows the teams to be in charge of the balls, it should be up to the league to check them and make sure they are legal. I mean the league doesn't say "hey, we are gonna trust you guys to only put 11 men on the field. Not even gonna count, its an honor system."

I mean the NFL checks and makes sure players have like the correct length socks and the right color shoes, but they can't be bothered to check the footballs?

Basically every team should get their footballs, QBs can have them rubbed up however they want. Then at some predetermined time before the game the balls go to the NFL for inspection and the team doesn't get possession of the balls again. Any ball deemed illegal is thrown out, if a team doesn't have enough legal balls they then are forced to use brand new, totally un rubbed down footballs.

The Pats SHOULD be looking for any little edge they can get, the NFL SHOULD be making sure they do it within the confines of the rules.

The Pats didn't tape practices; they taped coaches hand signals on the sideline, compared to the formation and any changes, then correlated to down/distance plus score/time. In rematches if something fit the discovered scenario then heads up would be given.

The process was legal, btw, until Belichick got too good with it... As asserted by many, including Jimmy Johnson; Most found the process too taxing with the chances of reward being too little, because teams change signals + technology changes, and as such the process was not used by many coaches in the modern era. The NFL once championed the due dilligence of the process by praising the late great George Allen in a classic NFL Films special.

The process, btw, is still legal... just not with video and from the sidelines. This specific issue is what the Pats and Belichick were smacked over. But hey, it's easier to buy into the hysteria of the moment than understand the actual infraction.

Everyone does stuff like this though. I mean when the Eagles are running plays really fast and make a sub, do they on their own, out of the goodness of their hearts and their sense of fairness wait for the defense to substitute or do they still try to run the play unless the official forces them to wait, as per the rules? They try to run the play unless the official holds them up, as he is supposed to.

If the official messes up and doesn't hold them up and they snap it while the defense is trying to change players and make a big play, they don't give the play back. They take the play and after the game say "we go as fast as we can unless the officials tell us we can't". And that's that.

That's what the Patriots did basically, they made the footballs inflated to the point where they thought they'd be most effective throwing the ball. If the officials told them they couldn't have used them, they wouldn't have.

My guess is the Pats didn't weigh the balls and check if they were legal. Some coach went out to play catch in the cold and deflated the balls to the point where he thought they'd work best.

Everyone does stuff like this but no one gets in trouble except for one team. I'm sorry that I don't by that. And I don't buy your Eagles comparison at all.

And for the umpteenth time, I'll stipulate that I'm still dealing in a hypothetical and am not going to be a deflate-truther if/when the Pats are found innocent.

They do inspect the balls, btw. Each team provides their own and the home team provides extras. All balls are inspected before kickoff.

During the game there was a ball issue, what that was I dunno of course. At the time it seemed like the kicking ball was still on the field. Anyway, this all sounds like crazy theorist levels of deviousness. lol Belichick needs a mustache to twirl or a white cat to pet.

So we've got some facts established, and Lucas is right about the timeline for checks.

Other facts, the balls provided are used by both teams. The refs also check them at half time and as is seen during games they are constantly handling them between plays.

The more that comes out over ball management the more ridiculous the accusations sound.

The ball check thing makes no sense. They check them 2 hours before the game to make sure there are no issues or shennanigans going on. They then give the balls back to the teams on the honor system or something? That makes no sense.

If the NFL approved the balls and told the Pats they could play with them, I see nothing the Pats did wrong. Even if they did deflate them, if they gave the NFL the deflated balls to check and they were ok'd, then thats on the NFL.

If the NFL checked them and approved them, then gave them back to the Pats who then deflated them, the Pats did do something wrong. But the NFL is stupid for checking the balls and then giving them back to the team. It basically defeats the purpose of checking the balls for proper inflation. If you are just gonna give them back and trust teams not to doctor them, then why check them at all?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.