Comics Release Dates - The New Marvel Era!

Jedi Cool

Ignoring what I want has ever been my favorite thing about the EU.

Oh, I'm not picking and choosing here. I'm choosing the entirety of the old canon (aka the EU) over the new.

But lest someone accuse me of whining again, the focus of my post was not about that; it was about obtaining all of the old Dark Horse titles. And I'd rather not buy them from Marvel simply because I'm trying to avoid the "Legends" banner wherever possible.

#1 exceeded expectations and surprised me more than once. I didn't think stories with Vader could do that for me anymore. Well played.

Unfortunately it's also got the same fatal flaw that too many licensed comics have: the artist is so worried about getting the original actors' faces right that very, very few panels have any real facial expressions and practically look traced from old stills. (Han manages a couple, at least.) I'd expect that from the third-string artists who usually draw licensed comics, but I know Cassaday can do better. Distracting and disappointing.

Judging by the preview art from the other two books, it's good to know Terry Dodson's Princess Leia book won't be having that problem. :thumbsup:

... but I know Cassaday can do better.

No he can't. He's one of the few pro artists out there who's gotten worse over time. Mainly, and stop me if you've heard this, he is slow. He used to do some amazing work, but either he is a perfectionist or has pulled a Greg Land and tricked everyone into thinking he is, and as a result it takes him forever to draw pages. To save time, he swipes endless from himself. He'll reuse a head, flip it, and alter the expression slightly. He'll draw a medium frame, then zoom in on it for a close up (watch for varying line quality). In long conversations (Astonishing X-Men Whedon scripts) he'll just straight up repeat the same frame over and over.

I read it last night nd am not entirely sure how I feel about it just yet. It was definitely somewhat jarring to me how certain aspects of it differed from the old continuity. It reminded me of DC's New 52 pretty soon after that came out in the sense of it being familiar, but also different in ways that seemed notable to me. I have a feeling that, more than anythign else, though, this was due to it being written and drawn by mainstream comic professionals rather than the usual type of Star Wars team. It just felt different to me. I'll have to read it over again. I also plan on sticking with it at least through the first arc to see where it goes.

... but I know Cassaday can do better.

No he can't. He's one of the few pro artists out there who's gotten worse over time.

Mostly by "can't" I meant "used to be able to, and theoretically still should be able to". But that's me recalling the halcyon days of Planetary when it was still monthly and awesome.

I was totally unaware of the head-swapping thing, though. Now I'm gonna be looking for it and probably go nuts. TBH, I haven't seen any interior work of his since Astonishing X-Men. If he ruined some other X-Men or Avengers books in recent years, I never saw it and it sounds like I didn't miss much.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.