So then I took a selfie

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm just fascinated with the whole thing-now, especially how so many people assume they know why others are taking pictures of themselves. Some of this reminds me of the self-righteous drivers in this area who assume that everyone who wants to use the passing lane to pass them in a vehicle is an idiot who can't plan their life well enough to be on time for work, therefore they deserve to have another driver hold them back. Minus the holding back, of course.

Despite how individuals feel about what motivates another to take a selfie, the selfie HAS been defined; it's a photo one takes of onesself-period. If you want to define the motivation behind that-that's a different story.

We each have the right to do so-we each have the right to define WHY we do so. The fascination for me is in everyone else's opinions of when and why selfies are "okay" or "appropriate".

I feel like a total alien. I don't understand why anyone would care about another person taking selfies. (outside being slowed down to crawl like Destiny was-her friend could have been taking pictures of anything and it would still have been annoying) Like the woman taking that video-she goes so far as to dis the other woman's looks?! WTF is THAT about? Does a person have to be universally gorgeous in order to justify taking a selfie? I was more interested in what that chick was doing with her LEGS while taking those pics-especially even BEFORE she tried to get a shot of her own ass. WHAT was that??

MG, I think most of us are referring to the obnoxious selfies, not all selfies. You just know when you see it. Most selfies, or groupies, are just people taking a picture for fun or whatever. And like I said, I don't give it much thought one way or the other, but for the sake of this discussion, when I do see something that qualifies as annoying or obnoxious, I just roll my eyes and then go on my way.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.