So then I took a selfie

Men who post lots of selfies are narcissistic. http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/08/living/selfies-study-men-narcissism-feat/index.html

Um, it took a study?

While I hold low opinions of sociology and psychology - they are barely sciences - I have to point out that the "Uh, it took a study" disparagement can be applied to literally every scientific result ever published. After all, everything we know is obvious, right?

I don't get the selfie hate. I like to document fun places and events for future reminiscing. I don't carry a tripod with me, so I usually take a selfie of just myself or the group I'm with. I post it on Facebook so that when I scroll back through my timeline I can easily recall fun events and memories. If that makes people hate me, I don't really care. They are for me, not others.

I don't care about this as an issue, but I do wonder how it splits along demos. I think selfies are much more 'normal' for younger people; some of you grew up with this technology. The process in time and cost of developing film made for a lot less frivolous/experimental photography (in general) when I was your age. So I feel that the younger you are, the less likely you are to do it solely out of narcissism, but that's just a guess.

The cynic/old person in me says DON'T YOU KIDS OWN MIRRORS? because I think lots of people use selfies for this function. Cashmere, you say you do it for documentation and I do, too, but I almost always point my camera outward. I don't hate you or anyone for doing this-I just find it odd-probably because of my age.

I find the whole thing fascinating.

When my sister-in-law died at the age of 30 from a brain tumor we were incredibly pleased to go through her pictures and see selfie after selfie of her when she went backpacking through Asia by herself for a year. All those pictures of her being happy or contemplative or just plain mugging it to the camera were incredibly cherished.

So I ain't gonna hate.

I'm a milennial selfie hater. Mostly because I have friends who seriously abuse it. Hey, I'm at the supermarket, see! I went to the zoo this summer with a friend and it took 90 minutes to see 3 exhibits because she had to take 20 freaking selfies at every stop. And yes, she fits the insecure narcissist profile.

I get what people like Cashmere do... hey, look, I was here! I'm admittedly more like Tami and I take more scenery pictures than pictures of myself.

Selfies are for the sole purpose of creating an online image of oneself, that the individual is in control of to project an image that does not necessarily accurately represent what they really are like in real life. So that their Facebook page resembles more of an advertisement, displaying a personality and image that often is far removed from reality. Which is why you get girls doing stupid shit like the one Cerina posted. Selfies ARE narcissistic, but the invention of social media is based on our own Narcicism. It's why Facebook has done as well as it has.

Shit, I've seen people use selfie poles (a pole that attatches to your phone like a boom) to get that perfect angle of ones self. It's vain, unattractive and gross.

Sure, and there is a distinction between taking selfies (individual or group) for yourself, your friends and family. It is another thing entirely to take selfies for the sole purpose of uploading to various social media for your 500+ Facebook/Instagram "friends" to see. The latter is what I was referring to, which is common place and is vacuous, crude behaviour in my opinion. Mad turn off.

I love selfies. I love posting pics of cute pieces of clothing/accessories I want to show off on Twitter or Facebook. (Usually it's "look at my new Her Universe dress!" or something like that.) I take a lot at selfies theme parks, too. My favorite selfie is the one I took in front of Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center.

You might say it's narcissistic. I just think it's me being a huge nerd. :)

ETA: When I post pictures on Twitter, I'm not really doing it for the random people who follow me, but for the really good friends I have that do. (And I post way more dog pictures than selfies anyway!)

I think selfie has a connotation that's different that's different from what's being discussed. Part of the reason is that society hasn't decided what it means yet, but I tend to think of a girl locking herself in a bathroom or her bedroom and taking hundreds of pics and uploading them so that people will compliment her appearance.

A picture that's taken solely to show off yourself, rather than a picture that is to remember an event, time, or place.

But, again, usage varies.

I take a lot more photos of people's faces than I do of scenery. Not that scenery shots aren't nice, but I'd rather have a photo a buffalo licking my brother than a scene shot of the herd. I took lots of landscape photos in Denver this summer, but my favorites are the ones of my friends and me experiencing our surroundings. Bundled up as we reached Pike's Peak, knee deep in the lake at our campsite, sunbathing or jumping off the cliffs at the reservoir, soaking wet at Red Rocks amphitheater, in our seats at the drum corps competition (me looking excited, them looking skeptical).

I decided a long time ago that the moments I most want to remember are tied to the people I'm with, so that's where I focus my lens.

That and every cute thing my dog does ever.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't give this issue of selfies much thought in my day to day life because people can do whatever they want, but I can say when I am out in public and encounter someone (usually a 20 something girl but I'm an equal opportunity pshaw-er) going out of control and making a spectacle of themselves with selfies, duck face, 5724350 shots and all, my personal opinion of said someone generally plummets immediately, even without knowing them.

I'm just fascinated with the whole thing-now, especially how so many people assume they know why others are taking pictures of themselves. Some of this reminds me of the self-righteous drivers in this area who assume that everyone who wants to use the passing lane to pass them in a vehicle is an idiot who can't plan their life well enough to be on time for work, therefore they deserve to have another driver hold them back. Minus the holding back, of course.

Despite how individuals feel about what motivates another to take a selfie, the selfie HAS been defined; it's a photo one takes of onesself-period. If you want to define the motivation behind that-that's a different story.

We each have the right to do so-we each have the right to define WHY we do so. The fascination for me is in everyone else's opinions of when and why selfies are "okay" or "appropriate".

I feel like a total alien. I don't understand why anyone would care about another person taking selfies. (outside being slowed down to crawl like Destiny was-her friend could have been taking pictures of anything and it would still have been annoying) Like the woman taking that video-she goes so far as to dis the other woman's looks?! WTF is THAT about? Does a person have to be universally gorgeous in order to justify taking a selfie? I was more interested in what that chick was doing with her LEGS while taking those pics-especially even BEFORE she tried to get a shot of her own ass. WHAT was that??

I'd actually be less annoyed if she was taking pictures of the animals. The issue was that a trip to the zoo to entertain her kids became about her and her rather obvious narcisissm, instead. She likes to be told that she's sooo pretty (she is, but she's gained a lot of weight from having 2 kids and eating everything in sight during and after her pregnancies, so she's a little insecure about it) and how "fun" she is for taking her kids to do these things. It's the zoo, you don't get a Nobel Prize in parenting for it.

I'm just fascinated with the whole thing-now, especially how so many people assume they know why others are taking pictures of themselves. Some of this reminds me of the self-righteous drivers in this area who assume that everyone who wants to use the passing lane to pass them in a vehicle is an idiot who can't plan their life well enough to be on time for work, therefore they deserve to have another driver hold them back. Minus the holding back, of course.

Despite how individuals feel about what motivates another to take a selfie, the selfie HAS been defined; it's a photo one takes of onesself-period. If you want to define the motivation behind that-that's a different story.

We each have the right to do so-we each have the right to define WHY we do so. The fascination for me is in everyone else's opinions of when and why selfies are "okay" or "appropriate".

I feel like a total alien. I don't understand why anyone would care about another person taking selfies. (outside being slowed down to crawl like Destiny was-her friend could have been taking pictures of anything and it would still have been annoying) Like the woman taking that video-she goes so far as to dis the other woman's looks?! WTF is THAT about? Does a person have to be universally gorgeous in order to justify taking a selfie? I was more interested in what that chick was doing with her LEGS while taking those pics-especially even BEFORE she tried to get a shot of her own ass. WHAT was that??

mg, are you feeling alright?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.