Agent Carter

Pong Messiah

So am I like the only one here who watched it last night sheesh. I thot maybe somebody posted about it in the reg movies/tv forum since there's more of a spy/retro feel to this than most "superhero" stuff.

Anyway it was pretty ok. Not great, but I think it's gonna improve over the next six episodes, and would be surprised if I don't like the openers more after taking everything else in. You suck if you didn't watch it.

I haven't watched the second episode, but caught the first ep, and I liked it. I liked the humour in it, and Carter is a more likable character than anyone on SHIELD, so I could see this holding up a bit better. And the 40's setting is good too, bit more visual appeal to it and doesn't look as bland as SHIELD. Actually I have to admit I probably enjoyed this one episode of Carter than any of the SHIELD eps so far.

I think "it was okay, not great" is the reason nobody is talking about it.

I'll keep watching because Jarvis is awesome but its no great shakes. A couple problems.

I get it, all men except Jarvis are retarded and misogynistic. Message received.

There's no threat to Carter herself because we saw her in the future so she's immortal in this show.

Is Howard Stark gonna get blamed for everything?

I'll watch it eventually. I'm busy on Tuesday evenings, so I didn't have the ability to watch it live, but I'll get caught up eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Carter came off as very naive when she wanted to tell the SSR what she'd been doing. If her chauvinist colleagues aren't going to respect her after all the contributions she made during the war, what would make her think finding a cache of stolen prototype weapons would change their minds?

Sure, Captain Steve Rogers can disobey orders, go on an unsanctioned mission, and come back without any punishment, but Carter acted like she should be able to do the same thing and get away with it! Clearing Stark's name isn't going to endear her to the SSR agents.

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the party, but just bingewatched the series so far. I'm a longtime Avengers fanboy so I'm obviously into it on that level. Objectively: pretty hokey stuff, cheesy dialogue hiding behind "but it's the '40s", lighthearted moments that more-often-than-not aren't that funny. But in spite of that, I do like the way the story has moved and kept me engaged and I think it's gotten stronger with each episode.

But I had to share this. Another site I visit had a liveblog of the show and someone posted a (genius) theory about Agent Thompson, played by Chad Michael Murray and referred to as CMM in the post below.

Minor spoilers if you haven't watched, but it's mostly (sort of) a joke anyway:

***PAY ATTENTION TO ME***

aka… SPECIAL COMIC BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

So after CMM’s heartbreaking performance last week, I just couldn’t sleep. I kept thinking about his war story and how familiar it sounded. Then I thought back to my first comics: West Coast Avengers. Prepare for the ultimate easter egg!

There was a character in WCA that was brainwashed twice in the series run, leading to a slight personality disorder. One of those identities was: Jack Thompson! Complete with WWII backstory how he killed surrendering troops. How was it possible he was in both WWII and present day?… he got his powers from Captain America’s super soldier serum.

Granted, that was not his real origin (he got his powers from the Power Broker). BUT, the fact that they are drawing directly from his character and that there is a vial of Cap’s blood still in play, tells us that Jack Thompson will become a hero stronger than Thor, smarter than Iron Man, and have more heart than Captain America…

CMM will become:

[fc08.deviantart.net]

Now I'm not saying I actually buy this theory, and it's pretty clear the OP was kidding about the final result, but it's pretty amazing that it got written into the show and it's certainly no coincidence. This vial of Cap's blood is figuring into the story somehow. It's most likely gone by the time the movies begin. It's not too big a stretch to think Peggy will have to save Thompson's life at some point, injects him with Cap's blood..and....who knows?

Anyway, thought I'd share.

• 3 weeks later...

In the case of Agent Carter, it also meant an eight episode format. Maybe that format will give it a better chance of a second season (or "series"). I liked the show and think it has potential to be stronger, though I think it would be better off paired with AoS, rather than given the task of "Here, you keep this time slot cozy while AoS takes a couple of months off".

Hadn't heard about that but it makes sense if it was also being shown on another network at the same time. I think we're safe as long as the Marvel series continue to be Netflix only.

Now if only other companies would follow suit with dropping entire seasons at once! Imagine being able to watch an entire season of Game of Thrones in one day (or two). :drool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.