Nonfiction

RUAJedi2

I read a lot of self-help like books and books on business. Mostly things like budgeting, personal finance, organization, controlling stress, managing employees, dealing with difficult people, etc.

I've also been looking into books on educating and raising gifted kids. And home schooling.

Mostly I only read non-fiction about urban exploration or space, with the odd super-specific books about rats or something else equally mundane.

Tell me of a good urban exploration book

Hidden Cities is by far the best I've read!

Some people are put off by the people in the book because they are kind of ***holes but I find ***holes make for entertaining reading.

• 2 weeks later...

I love popular science books, particularly ones that talk about evolution, diseases, poison, interesting animal adaptations or history of science. A recent favorite is Spillover by David Quammen. It's not fair that he can make writing about zoonoses lyrical and beautiful.

LOVE Mary Roach. I'm halfway through Packing for Mars- it's soo good. She's a local author too and I am half tempted to stalk her :p

Oh, Mary Roach is fantastic. That reminds me that I have Bonk on my to-read shelf, but haven't started it yet. I should do that! Her books are so very entertaining, while still being thoroughly researched and accurate.

I love popular science books, particularly ones that talk about evolution, diseases, poison, interesting animal adaptations or history of science.

Sounds like we read a lot of the same kinds of stuff. I would be happy to share some recommendations with you, and find out some of your faves. Have you read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? A-MA-ZING. If you liked Quammen's book, you should check out The Coming Plague and The Demon in the Freezer. Also, anything by David Zimmer.

I love popular science books, particularly ones that talk about evolution, diseases, poison, interesting animal adaptations or history of science.

Sounds like we read a lot of the same kinds of stuff. I would be happy to share some recommendations with you, and find out some of your faves. Have you read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? A-MA-ZING. If you liked Quammen's book, you should check out The Coming Plague and The Demon in the Freezer. Also, anything by David Zimmer.

Yes! The HeLa book is probably one of my top 10 pop sci books! I've been pushing it on everyone I know.

I feel like I read The Coming Plague a long while ago. I should revisit it. Beating Back the Devil and Superbug by Maryn McKenna are my current favorite Scary Disease books. I find that McKenna has a bit of a better balance of accuracy to sensationalism than Preston. And of course Carl Zimmer's Parasite Rex is deliciously creepy.

I don't read much at all, but when I do, it is almost exclusively non-fiction. The topics often include gardening, horticulture, and agriculture books (which I rarely read cover-to-cover but will peruse through and use as a reference and inspiration). I like science and naturalism books-- topics such as space, physics, biology, ecology, evolution. I have a decent share of "drug literature" which ranges from synthesis and cultivation of psychoactives, their historical and current use, physiological effects, policy, and spiritual implications. And I have a large collection of spiritual and philosophical literature (some of which could be considered fiction), ranging from the Bible, Upanishads, poetry by Rumi and Lao Tsu, philosophy (classic and contemporary), personal essays and reflections, commentary, etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.