Tell me about...

Copper

The last book you finished in 2014 and the first book you have begun in 2015.

The last book I read was called The Cassandra Project by Jack McDevitt and Mike Resnick. It's a near-future story that centers around NASA and man's first trip to the moon in the year 1969. Basically, some interesting information comes to light in a data dump by NASA that makes everyone question whether Neil Armstrong was the first man to step foot on the moon or if the two previous moon flights actually ended up landing. It's a great conspiracy story for people who like those and loves the idea of space and exploration. I was totally on the edge of my seat for the entire story until the whole thing was revealed in the last few pages. Then I was seriously annoyed. Can't tell you why or I will ruin the whole book for you- and I bet MOST people weren't annoyed by it, but it really pissed me off. HA! That's what I get for having expectations.

The first book I've started reading this year is called FEED by Mira Grant. It's a zombie apocalypse story that takes place in 2039. I'm really liking it, and it also has a conspiracy theory angle. I SENSE A THEME!

I love this topic idea, Copper! I want to read Feed!

My last read of 2014 was Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. It was about 2 British women who were in the service during WWII and the friendship between them.

The first of 2015 will either be Cousin Bette by Honore de Balzac which is a typical classic about social intrigue, which I picked because it fulfilled a challenge from round 4 if the 2014 reading challenge and was free on my kindle. Just didn't finish it in time.

The second option is one I'm listening to on my iPod: Walking on Water by Richard Paul Evans. It's the last in a five book series, which I didnt realize when I picked it or I might not have chosen it. It's about a man who decides to walk across the country after he loses his wife and business.

My last read of 2014 was Unbroken by the author of Seabiscuit, and now a blockbuster movie directed by the chick who used to make out with Billy Bob Thorton. The book is the story of Louis Zamperini, a former Olympic athlete turned airman during WWII. From his very humble beginnings to the life of a POW and his bout with PTSD following the war, the book is amazing. Sad, hopeful, at times humorous. I've had friends telling me to read it for the past year and a half, but I kept putting it off because I figured they were just war buffs, but this really is possibly my favorite book of all time.

Currently reading Forming Intentional Disciples as my first book of 2014. Got a couple others going on as well, but that'll be the first completed book. It's basically about why so many Christians aren't good Christians and what can be done about it - the gist being that most Christians are culturally Christian, but have never had an actual encounter with Christ.

I had to read The Elements of Investing by Burton Makiel and Charles Ellis for my government class. It was pretty good. Just gives some solid advice on where to invest your money in the stock market. They don't advocate trying to "beat the market" or anything like that. Just invest wisely for the long term.

I need to finish A Dance with Dragons. That really needs to be the first book I read this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross at the end of 2014, about a post-human interstellar society and the financial system that supports its structure and expansion. I enjoyed it for being hard sci-fi - no FTL drives for one thing. I have started Rule 34, also by Charles Stross. It's a near-future (set in 2023) cyber-crime murder mystery set in Scotland. Victims had their appliances hacked to murder them, in gruesome ways. Makes one think what will be possible in the next decade, what with 3D printers becoming practical. One down side of the novel is that I practically have to look up half the Scottish slang, and it's a bit much when the characters' dialogue is written phonetically to convey accents. Oh, yeah, and it's written in second person; Stross is the only author I've been able to stand reading in second person.

• 2 weeks later...

The last book I read last year was Foxglove Summer; the latest in a very good series of books which starts with Rivers of London. It's about a policeman who finds out he can do magic. Not quite Harry Potter magic but a form of magic practised and studied by people like Isaac Newton with lots of real world consequences. I would highly recommend them!

The book I just started (and subsequently finished in three days) was Ready Player One. It's a love letter to everything geek in which most of the world spends all of their time plugged into a VR game which lets them escape the horrors of real life. The creator of the game died and just beforehand set up a treasure hunt, inspired by 1980's pop culture, in which the winner gets all his money and shares.

It was brilliant, I've not blasted through a book this quick in a long time. It managed to be both funny and dramatic, whilst never letting the tempo slide down. Very good read!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.