Cashmere

Welcome to the third annual Nightly Reading Challenge!
The What?
It's pretty simple - at the end of this post you will find a list of reading challenges to complete over the course of the round. Each challenge has a point value. The more challenges you complete, the more points you earn. The person with the most points at the end of the Challenge wins.
The Details.
Round one begins at 12:00am EST on January 1, 2015. Round one ends at 11:59pm EST on March 31, 2015. Books read for this round will be started and finished within this time period. If time becomes a factor in the Challenge, the time stamp on your posts related to the Challenge will be used to determine the eligibility of your submission. Timed portions of this game will be played using EST because Cashmere decrees it.
You may be thinking "rounds, you say?" Yes, this is round one of four. The Full Challenge will end on December 31st, 2015, at 11:59pm EST. At the start of 2016, we will use the cumulative points to name an ULTIMATE WINNER.
Books read must be at least 200 pages long. Ebooks and audio books are fine, as long as the print copy of the book totals 200+ pages.
Each book read counts for one challenge. Even if a book would technically fulfill multiple challenges, you can only use it to fulfill one challenge of your choice.
Each challenge can only be claimed once.To earn points for a book read, make a post in this thread containing this information: The challenge the book fulfills, the point value of that challenge, and the author and title of the book.
And don't forget the BONUS ROUNDS!
A book submitted for any challenge can be used in a bonus round, if it meets the following criteria - if the book, series, or author has not been discussed in the Book Club before, you can earn an extra 20 points from this book if your start a discussion thread in the Book Club about the book, series, or author. This bonus can be used three times within this round.
Once between January 1 at 12:00am EST and January 31 at 11:59pm EST.
Once between February 1 at 12:00am EST and February 28 at 11:59pm EST.
Once between March 1 at 12:00am EST and March 31 at 11:59pm EST.
New Rules for 2015
The 2015 game will include revised Lightning Rounds! When a Lightning Round opens, you can collect bonus points for any type of reading that you complete!
5 Points: Magazine Articles, Comic Books, short Graphic Novels (under 50 pages)
10 points: books of any type/genre under 200 pages, graphic novels between 50 and 199 pages
15 points: books of any type/genre 200 pages or over
This year the lightning rounds will be prescheduled in order to allow for pre-planning. (Some of you may want to take vacation time from work.) There will be 2 one week lightning rounds during each challenge period. The round 1 lightning rounds will be:
From 12:01 a.m. on February 1 to 11:59 p.m. on February 7
From 12:01 a.m. on March 15 to 11:59 p.m. on March 21
The Challenges!
5 points: Read a book you have lying around the house that you haven't read yet (ebooks that have been sitting unread on your reader count, of course).
5 points: Read a young adult / teen novel.
5 points: Read a volume of manga.
5 points: Read a nonfiction book.
10 points: Read a book from another Nightly member's "Reading (fill in the blank)" book list, any year.
15 points: Read a book that was published no more than one year from the day you begin reading it.
15 points: Read a book that's being turned into a movie or tv show debuting in 2015-2018.
20 points: Read a book that has won a recognized literary award (Pulitzer, Man Booker, etc).
20 points: Read a book that is on the New York Times Bestseller List in the top 5 of its category on the week of the day you start reading it.
20 points: Read a book you've heard bad things about.
25 points: Read a book personally recommended to you by a librarian.
25 points: Read a book you were supposed to read in school, but didn't (or if you were a perfect student and read all the books you should have, pick one that is typically assigned to high school students that you haven't read yet.)
30 points: Read a trilogy, or the first three books of a series.

Can we combine categories, for example, a nonfiction book recommended by a librarian? Or is it one book, one category?

Anyhow, here goes:
The Challenges!
5 points: Read a book you have lying around the house that you haven't read yet (ebooks that have been sitting unread on your reader count, of course).
**5 points: Read a young adult / teen novel. Swamp Cat, by Jim Kjelgaard. A book published in 1957 about a semi-feral cat and the young man who takes care/has various adventures with the cat. The author wrote a ton of books about animals, and I read a bunch when I was a kid.
**5 points: Read a nonfiction book. Lost Cat by Caroline Paul. Author's cat disappears for five weeks, and when it returns she uses GPS and other methods to find out where the cat goes.
10 points: Read a book from another Nightly member's "(fill in the blank)" book list, any year.
**15 points: Read a book that was published no more than one year from the day you begin reading it. -- Storm Surge: Hurricane Sandy, Our Changing Climate, and Extreme Weather of the Past and Future -- Adam Sobel. Discusses how Hurricane Sandy was unprecedented in its storm track and damage to the New York metro area. Good science-based discussion about the possible effects of climate change on tropical storm development, the potential for more devastating storms due to coastal development, and some ideas for how coastal communities can plan to reduce the likelihood of storm damage. (Published October, 2014)
15 points: Read a book that's being turned into a movie or tv show debuting in 2015-2018.
**20 points: Read a book that has won a recognized literary award (Pulitzer, Man Booker, etc). Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, the Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America by Gilbert King (won the Pulitzer)
20 points: Read a book that is on the New York Times Bestseller List in the top 5 of its category on the week of the day you start reading it.
25 points: Read a book you were supposed to read in school, but didn't (or if you were a perfect student and read all the books you should have, pick one that is typically assigned to high school students that you haven't read yet.)
**30 points: Read a trilogy, or the first three books of a series. Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001

Completed:

15 points: Read a book that was published no more than one year from the day you begin reading it.
Angels and Saints: A Biblical Guide to Friendship with God's Holy Ones by Scott Hahn, published May 27, 2014
Humane Vitae
The Power of Habit
Saint Odd
Frankenstein
Total: 70
Pending:
10 points: Read a book from another Nightly member's "Reading (fill in the blank)" book list, any year.
20 points: Read a book that has won a recognized literary award (Pulitzer, Man Booker, etc).

OKAY! I did TWO so far!

> Feed by Mira Grant
> Festive in Death by JD Robb (published in Sept 2014)

20 points total so far.

Hey - I'm not in the game, but I just wanted to post about a very enjoyable book I read called The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, by Claire North. Just got around to reading it after working my way through the Game of Thrones books.

I really recommend it and hope you enjoy it. I don't want to spoil anything, but obviously the title gives away that we are taking about a character who lives, dies and wakes up again as a kid. Lots more to it than that, and the central character is nicely fleshed out. If you get a chance, hope you enjoy reading it. Not long, just at the 400 page mark.

That's all - have a good year of reading!

Ahh - I don't think I will be able to keep up with you guys!

My old commute to work was a long one, so I had plenty of opportunity to steam through lots of books. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King was done in no time! Interesting series if you get the chance. His epic fantasy series! The first book was probably one of the most unenjoyable reading experiences, but luckily I had got the second book in a 2 for 1 deal, so thought I would give it a whirl for the hell of it, and it was one of the best books I have read! Bizarre!

Need to re-read the first one again to see what was wrong! Maybe it was just me at the time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The Challenges!

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Gunnm vol 3

Speeches That Changed the World

20 000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

Bum Luck by James Mullaney

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

More Blood anthology edited by Devin Murphy and Donna Courtois

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stenson

Adventure of Sherlock Holmes, Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, Return of Sherlock Homes

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.