FINE, I'M UPDATING. So many factors have resulted in less reading time than usual.

3. Steve Bryant, Athena Voltaire: Compendium. Globetrotting artifact retrieval adventures in the Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider vein, albeit less exploit-y than the latter. Writing's better than the art, which is not bad when he's obviously using models, but gets shakier when he's freehanding. A lot of this appears to have been wisely recolored, and it helps. (I picked this up when the creator did a signing at my local comic shop.)

4. Roger Ebert, Life Itself. The autobiography of my all-time favorite film critic, even when I disagreed with him, even when his thoughts on religion drove me up a wall. I've been reading this on my lunch breaks over the past month-plus and kept emailing quotes and highlights to my wife daily after lunch because I wanted to keep savoring moments of it whether she cared or not. Ebert lived life the way a seasoned critic ought to: got bitten by the writing bug while young, got out of the house, got an education, became a certified journalist, spent years establishing his career, traveled worldwide, made lots of poor life choices, cleaned himself up, and then started reviewing movies, but only because someone offered it to him and not because he was dying for a job that let him sit around, watch stuff, scribble adjectives on Post-Its, and get paid. Millions of wannabes have taken what they perceive as the road more easily traveled, but that's not the route Ebert took at all.

• 2 weeks later...

16. Justice League Dark volume 2: The Books of Magic, by Jeff Lemire

17. Justice League Dark volume 3: The Death of Magic, by Jeff Lemire

18. Justice League Dark volume 4: Rebirth of Evil, by JM DeMatteis

19. Ms Marvel volume 1: No Normal, by G Willow Wilson

20. Justice League Trinity War, by Geoff Johns et al

• 3 weeks later...

21. Hyperion, by Dan Simmons

22. Justice League Dark volume 5: Paradise Lost, JM DeMatteis

Goddamn Hyperion was good. The story of Rachel, a woman who at 30ish begins to age backwards every day, forgetting everyday, until she's an infant at the events of the book, is so heartbreaking. I couldn't even deal, I had to look up spoilers on the sequel to find out what happened to her. Still reading it next though.

6. The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing: Traitor to the Nation Vol I by M.T. Anderson

I listened to this one on a whim. I kept thinking something cool was going to happen, but it never did. Imaginative story, boring telling.

7. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

A friend highly recommended this series, so I gave it a try. I really really enjoy the world, and the characters. I especially like how the book switches between young Locke and grown up Locke. I'm in for the whole series for sure!

8. Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Book 2 in the Gentleman Bastards series. I didn't like it as much as the first one (listed above) but it was still an enjoyable read.

9. Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

This is the One Book, One Community selection from my local library, so I decided to give it a listen. I got sucked into the characters quickly and enjoyed the book a lot. The only problem is that I wasn't ready for it to end, but it had to.

5. Charles Schulz, The Complete Peanuts 1993-1994. Yep, another one of these. Only three more to go before the 12½-year series is finished and all fifty years have been collected. By this time Schulz was getting older and sometimes reducing his workload to 1-3 panels a day, but from time to time he apparently had bursts of energy and pushed his limitations, while still retaining his edge. And one sequence between Lucy and a girl who sells her a fraudulent bat may be the first two-girl fistfight in the strip's history, so there's that.

6. Chuck Klosterman, Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. This essay collection by the kinda renowned rock journalist, editor, humorist and former Spin contributor was the very last thing I ever bought from a Borders before their demise. Topics include a defense of Billy Joel transcending the cool/uncool dichotomy, how the '80s Lakers/Celtics teams are an accurate allegory of every human dichotomy ever, a behind-the-scenes ride-along with a Guns 'n' Roses tribute band, the concept of "exclusionary coolness" as exemplified by cereal mascots, theories about the popularity of country music and Saved by the Bell, and an honest account of the time he attended a rock journalist conference that he says was "probably the least rock 'n' roll experience I've ever had." Klosterman is nineteen days younger than I am, but he has a degree and a couple decades of actual journalism experience and what I would consider Success to his credit, so my fascination with most of this book has some weird Mirror Universe aspects to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

26. Promise of Blood, by Brian McClellan

27. Who is Jake Ellis? by Nathan Edmondson

28. Copperhead volume 1: A New Sheriff in Town, by Jay Fearber

Promise of Blood, first of the Powder Mage trilogy, unlike most fantasy series' wasn't set in a medieval period--it was very clearly inspired by the French Revolution. Not completely unique, but considerably more rare. Fun to have magic and gods in a different time period. It suffered from the Harry Potter esque "oh here's a brand new magical solution to the problem we just happen to find ourselves in that was never mentioned before isn't it lucky we have it at the exact time we need it" and a little too much telling instead of showing, but the setting and characters are definitely interesting enough for me to keep reading.

Jake Ellis is a nope. I've been delving into Image Comics more lately, but this one didn't do it for me.

Copperhead is a good start to what could be a really good sci fi western. The characters are really big archetypes without a whole lot of depth, but obviously this was just the beginning so I can forgive that for now. My only real complaint is that it's a currently on going series, meaning I'll have to wait for the next volume, and I'm impatient and have too many of those going on already.

• 4 weeks later...
10. My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni

Pretty good for a free Kindle read. I like reading about twisted killers.

11. The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

This one felt a lot more like the first in the series, which is a good thing. I really enjoyed it!

12. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Super fun read (or listen in my case). I loved that it was read by Wil Wheaton. It was excellent to listen to on long runs because it was fast paced, and I loved all the nerd knowledge it incorporated.

13. Political Suicide by Michael Palmer

A run of the mill who done it murder mystery. I liked it well enough, but I'm not going to seek out the series.

Two-day reading spree last week due to illness. Yay catch-up time! Too many capsule reviews to write at once, so just ranking best to least-best:

7. Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book

8. Brian Clevenger and Scott Wegener, Atomic Robo, v. 3: Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time

9. Brian Clevenger and Scott Wegener, Atomic Robo, v. 2: Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War

10. Stephan Franck, Silver v. 1

11. Rick Remender and Wes Craig, Deadly Class v. 2: Kids of the Black Hole

12. Brian Clevenger and Scott Wegener, Atomic Robo, v. 1: Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne

13. Brian Wood and Brett Weldele, Couscous Express

14. Robert Kirkman and Jason Howard, Super Dinosaur v. 1

15. Ben Avery and Javier Saltares, The Book of God: How We Got the Bible

16. Jeff Lemire, Lost Dogs

17. John Ridley and Ben Oliver, The Authority: Human on the Inside

18. Jane Espenson, Brad Bell, Ron Chan, Ben Avery, et al., Husbands

19. Greg Pak and Paul Pelletier, Incredible Hulks: World War Hulks

20. Warren Ellis and Terry Dodson, X-Men: Storm

Much better, yes, thanks! Recurring back pain laid me low again. If they sold prednisone OTC I could've bought some down at the nearest CVS, taken it that night, and been ready for business as usual. But then I wouldn't have gotten all this glorious reading done.

• 4 weeks later...

?. Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - listened to the audiobook and it was one of the best books I've experienced in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
14. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Decided I needed to reread this on vacation this year. This was my all time favorite book for many, many years, and it still kept me up late with my heart pounding even though I have read it many times. Such a fun read!

15. Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

This was a somewhat strange book, but I liked it well enough. It was basically about a woman who became a housewife but wanted more for herself. I kept thinking it took place in the past since it took place on a farm where nobody was educated, but it was a present-day book.

16. Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett

Follett might be my favorite author that's currently writing books. I get so sucked into these stories that I find it hard to function in my everyday life. I just want to keep listening! I think this installment was my least favorite of the trilogy, but I still loved it.

?. Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - listened to the audiobook and it was one of the best books I've experienced in a long time.

I am going to add it to my to-read list based on this recommendation. It's not available at my library though, so who knows when I'll actually find it!

21. Thom Zahler, Love and Capes, v. 2: Going to the Chapel. Ringers for Superman and Lois Lane plan their wedding. It's a super-hero sitcom on paper. Considering the not exactly fresh subject matter, I laughed a surprising number of times. Like, a lot of times. It was actually funny. I love when than happens.

22. Ken Jennings, Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs. The Jeopardy! guy quickly wrote down his story before his fifteen minutes expired, and alternates between it, obsessive deep-dives into the history of trivia as a pastime, and interviews with guys who made trivia-related products and feats back in their respective days, some of whom still dream of earning a second fifteen minutes someday. Jennings' humble, breezy retelling of his 75-episode reign (thanks to a rule change that clearly wasn't thought out too well) was more fascinating than the rest, though my favorite chapter among the other parts was the true story behind the rise and fall of Trivial Pursuit. Also, there are trivia questions in every chapter! So it's like a memoir and a game. A gamoir.

23. Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird. My first-ever read-through. It's so thoroughly head-and-tails above 90% of what I normally read or watch that part of me now wants to burn a lot of my possessions and just become a hardcore literary snob and read absolutely nothing but books at least this great or greater. Also, now I can watch the movie version someday.

• 2 weeks later...

??. Armada - Ernest Cline. I'm listening to Ready Player One right now, and it's an instant classic. Armada, sadly, tried really hard to hit all the same notes but instead left me with characters that I didn't care about, doing things that bored me while quoting movies and talking about 80's rock. It wasn't awful, but it left me rather uninterested in what Cline has to offer next.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.