Nightly Time Capsule 2014

Cerina

WTF was THIS year about? Pain. Lots of pain. Physical, emotional, psychological pain.

Time to drive the bus with a purpose, even if you drive it off a cliff. Take chances! What's the worst that can happen as a result? Nothing that makes it not worth doing.

What if you CAN fly?

I'm now loving this concept!

And I see now, I did this better in 2015, but could have pushed the envelope SO much farther!.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Future me,

The first half of 2014 saw you dealing with the wreckage of 2013, and offered even more challenges and obstacles. At some points this year, these challenges nearly consumed you. The people close to you in your life have relied on you heavily this year, and the stress has gotten to you, but you must continue to help them and they need you. Work has gotten worse, with the doubling of job duties and expectations, without a salary to match. People who kiss ass, but work half as hard as you, and don't have your seniority, yet continue to be promoted over you. Your job pays the bills, but there is better out there. Stick it out until you graduate. Don't lose your temper and quit before that.

The good is you did finally go back to school and you are half way through and have been doing well. By the time you read this, you should be getting ready for your final semester and will hopefully graduate in May 2016 with your MA. Hopefully this will lead directly to newer job options, if you play your cards right.

One last thing: 2014 has seen you grow cold and more cynical. Even angry, depressed, and frustrated, at times. Take steps to reverse this! Continue to be there for those who stood by you. Don't wallow in self-pity.

Past Me.

Sooo, I ended up getting laid off in July, but found another job (literally interviewed the next day after being laid off and started work 7 days later) in the same university that is much closer, pays a little bit better, and is both more demanding but far less stressful, and is NOT a toxic job environment. Probably the best thing to happen to me, really, because when you are with a job for 11+ years, it's hard to get out there and look for another job. I guess I needed that push, and things are much better now. The new work environment is a lot more welcoming and my department treats everyone like family. I may have a lot more things I have to be responsible for doing, but the trade off is I feel like a ton has been lifted off of me. I feel so much happier now. I feel so lucky to have my new job.

The other good thing that happened this year is I finished my graduate certificate, and I am 2 classes away from an MA. It was really hard going back to school after so many years. This fall semester was especially challenging because I was also learning to adjust to a new job, while also doing an internship and another class on the side, but I was able to get through it all.

My dad has been staying healthy and hasn't needed to go to the hospital since last January, and my brother has been a lot more helpful in helping me take care of my dad. So that has been a lot better this year, too. Hopefully my dad will stay that way this year, too.

Dear Burt,

2014 was okay. You survived some bad situations, adapted, and are riding some momentum. I hope it carried over into 2015. You changed your mindset for the better, keep it up.

Lose weight. You got injured, sure, but it's clear exercise is not a valid option to lose weight. I want you weighing <190 lbs. when you read this. You need to lose at least 5 inches off your waist. Your back and knees will thank you for it. Focus on that diet. Cut carbs and sugars, only realistic way it's going to work.

I hope the job situation became more clear. Keep your head up, keep on keepin' on.

Last but not least, put more time into your marriage. Things aren't bad, but you can make them better. Buy flowers and **** like that.

Cheers,

2014 Burt

Dammit Burt, you fat bastard. You only lost 10 pounds over the course of a year. At least the marriage is really strong and the career is locked down.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.