Nightly Time Capsule 2014

Cerina

Dear Fozzie,

Krawlie stinks. I bet he still stinks. Hopefully your life is even more awesome. Another kid, a potty trained 2 and a half year old, and great friends. Hopefully you enjoyed your job in 2015 and you're able to make a promotional move soon.

Krawlie stinks,

Fozzie

Dear 2015 Nanci,

I hope you've done all those things you said you wanted to do in 2015, like query your current book, write another one, make spawn, and fix up your yard. I hope you've continued to be happy and healthy and so have all the people around you.

But I'm not here to talk about those things. I'm here to talk to you about The Force Awakens. You've already seen it (hopefully you read this again after December 18) and I hate you so much for that. I hope the movie was everything you wanted and nothing you feared. If not, don't freak out. Go write your attic wife fanfic instead.

Love, 2014 Nanci

Hey stupid--

2014 pretty much ruled. New house, new career, new tax bracket-- life goals achieved.

Hopefully the magic continues in 2015. If it doesn't, know that at least you did it and you've likely had worse.

All that's left is to get in shape-- which is a lame and typical New Years goal, but come on, you are now in the 40s if you don't fix it now you'll enter the possible death zone in the next decade.

You've akways said you'd peak in middle age, time to prove it.

Dear Torch,

Flame off, mimicking inrwebs' outrage for LOLs is tired.

Wrap it up, four babies is two babies too many.

Smile, you're still in your thirties.

Juice

Oreos

Ketchup

Eggs

This wasn't supposed to be a grocery list of problems, Torchy. However if you get the lease on that cute looking birdhouse style cottage, and then you realize the grass literally wasn't greener, just remember a lawn you need to work with is better than living in a neighborhood with a skyrocketing crime rate. Watching swat teams from your living room window is only amusing once and then just barely. And even though the new place won't be all modern at least it will still have a garage... just kidding. Have fun cleaning the snow off the minivan all winter. With that said, you know you're a lucky bastard so I hope that continues.

Sincerely,

The Younger, Better Version of You

Listen up, scumbag!

Well let's start with the good: your family situation is a whole lot better, and things are looking up financially too, so that's cool. Don't get complacent, mind you. But a lot HAS gotten better in 2014. So be merry.

What DIDN'T improve, though, was your lard-assed laziness and your DISGUSTING fat body! I will personally hire Sgt. Hartmann to be your full time personal trainer and motivational speaker if you're not at least fifteen pounds lighter and jogging at least twenty minutes the next time we have this conversation, you maggot! So get on your face and give me twenty five!

Or twenty! Or fifteen ... or at least ten.

We can at least start there, can't we?

Dear Burt,

2014 was okay. You survived some bad situations, adapted, and are riding some momentum. I hope it carried over into 2015. You changed your mindset for the better, keep it up.

Lose weight. You got injured, sure, but it's clear exercise is not a valid option to lose weight. I want you weighing <190 lbs. when you read this. You need to lose at least 5 inches off your waist. Your back and knees will thank you for it. Focus on that diet. Cut carbs and sugars, only realistic way it's going to work.

I hope the job situation became more clear. Keep your head up, keep on keepin' on.

Last but not least, put more time into your marriage. Things aren't bad, but you can make them better. Buy flowers and shit like that.

Cheers,
2014 Burt

Dear 2015 Kathleen,

This has been a crazy year. You traveled to Okinawa and Tokyo. You shared your world with mom and Bek for a week. You spent most of the summer having girly chats with Nat and Catlin. You grew bored with your job and then rediscovered your passion for it, growing to love your kids even more than before. You experienced your first wave of crippling homesickness and survived it. You started studying with renewed vigor and took JLPT 5 a few weeks ago (and hopefully passed). You met your samurai. You fell deeply, incomparably in love for the first time.

This has truly been an incredible year, in ways both bad and good. You are so lucky, and I hope you remember that more frequently than you did last year.

That being said, you need to commit. Write more. Eat less (seriously--the scale said 158 this morning). Dance more. Worry less. Produce. Create. Explore. Stop yearning for a future that hasn't materialized and live today. Be a person the world needs, not one you think it should want. What do you bring to the table?

~2014 Kathleen

WTF was THIS year about? Pain. Lots of pain. Physical, emotional, psychological pain.

Time to drive the bus with a purpose, even if you drive it off a cliff. Take chances! What's the worst that can happen as a result? Nothing that makes it not worth doing.

What if you CAN fly?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Future me,

The first half of 2014 saw you dealing with the wreckage of 2013, and offered even more challenges and obstacles. At some points this year, these challenges nearly consumed you. The people close to you in your life have relied on you heavily this year, and the stress has gotten to you, but you must continue to help them and they need you. Work has gotten worse, with the doubling of job duties and expectations, without a salary to match. People who kiss ass, but work half as hard as you, and don't have your seniority, yet continue to be promoted over you. Your job pays the bills, but there is better out there. Stick it out until you graduate. Don't lose your temper and quit before that.

The good is you did finally go back to school and you are half way through and have been doing well. By the time you read this, you should be getting ready for your final semester and will hopefully graduate in May 2016 with your MA. Hopefully this will lead directly to newer job options, if you play your cards right.

One last thing: 2014 has seen you grow cold and more cynical. Even angry, depressed, and frustrated, at times. Take steps to reverse this! Continue to be there for those who stood by you. Don't wallow in self-pity.

Past Me.

Most dearest of the dears April

You wanted to write something sarcastic like, "hey, don't get dead", but you owe yourself something better than that.

Continue trying to reach out emotionally and quit being so scared that you actually don't have a soul. You like kittens; therefore you must have a soul. Do small health challenges each month- your back is starting to hurt because you're getting ****ing old so now you need to fix that **** before you turn into one of those chronic pain people.

Keep writing, even if it's only a little bit each day and it always sucks. Just keep doing it. Someday it might not suck.

Develop all that film in the fridge.

Take chances. Have lots of sex. Go to comic con. Clean the closet once in awhile, you slob.

I love you

A

Dear future Reese,

So. 2014 did not turn out how we'd planned it to. At all. Like seriously. So I'm just going to keep this simple.

I hope school is going well for both you and Noah. Surely home schooling has gotten a little better. I hope you've both found your groove. I also hope you managed to get a 4.0 semester. If not, it's OK. Just remember why you're doing this. Don't loose sight of your goal again. Stay away from the chainsaws.

I also hope you stuck to this 14 Week Challenge, and the house is not still full of crap everywhere. And if you did, please tell me you didn't clutter it up again.

If everything continued to go as planned, you should have 4 major debts paid off by now. Yay! Keep it up.

I also really hope you found time to read and scrapbook this year. You deserve some downtime to yourself. And you deserve to do things that make you happy.

Just remember that I love you!

Past Reese

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Dear future Reese,

So. 2014 did not turn out how we'd planned it to. At all. Like seriously. So I'm just going to keep this simple.

I hope school is going well for both you and Noah. Surely home schooling has gotten a little better. I hope you've both found your groove. I also hope you managed to get a 4.0 semester. If not, it's OK. Just remember why you're doing this. Don't loose sight of your goal again. Stay away from the chainsaws.

I also hope you stuck to this 14 Week Challenge, and the house is not still full of crap everywhere. And if you did, please tell me you didn't clutter it up again.

If everything continued to go as planned, you should have 4 major debts paid off by now. Yay! Keep it up.

I also really hope you found time to read and scrapbook this year. You deserve some downtime to yourself. And you deserve to do things that make you happy.

Just remember that I love you!

Past Reese

This....uhhh....this is not how my year went. Like, at all. School is going fine for both of us, but I'm taking a break to birth an unexpected addition to the family that we found out about about a month after Trevor was laid off...which lasted over 6 months. No debts paid off, no scrapbooking, not much reading. 14 week challenge lasted about 5 weeks, but the kitchen looked AWESOME! I need to do that again.

Hey stupid--

2014 pretty much ruled. New house, new career, new tax bracket-- life goals achieved.

Hopefully the magic continues in 2015. If it doesn't, know that at least you did it and you've likely had worse.

All that's left is to get in shape-- which is a lame and typical New Years goal, but come on, you are now in the 40s if you don't fix it now you'll enter the possible death zone in the next decade.

You've akways said you'd peak in middle age, time to prove it.

Mostly accurate

Dear Fozzie,

Krawlie stinks. I bet he still stinks. Hopefully your life is even more awesome. Another kid, a potty trained 2 and a half year old, and great friends. Hopefully you enjoyed your job in 2015 and you're able to make a promotional move soon.

Krawlie stinks,

Fozzie

The kid isn't potty trained and I'm trying to escape my job, but otherwise I'm right!

Dear 2015 Nanci,

I hope you've done all those things you said you wanted to do in 2015, like query your current book, write another one, make spawn, and fix up your yard. I hope you've continued to be happy and healthy and so have all the people around you.

But I'm not here to talk about those things. I'm here to talk to you about The Force Awakens. You've already seen it (hopefully you read this again after December 18) and I hate you so much for that. I hope the movie was everything you wanted and nothing you feared. If not, don't freak out. Go write your attic wife fanfic instead.

Love, 2014 Nanci

I did finish my old book and wrote a new one, and plan to query it in January. No spawn. No yard. Terribly shitty things happened, but they've gotten better.

I did see The Force Awakens, and it was wonderful.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.