Justin Linn replaces Robert Orci as director of Star Trek next sequel

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah here is their main page.

http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

And I always wondered how these fan films got away with being made without Paramount suing them into oblivion. On the FAQ page, they actually explain it, which I found interesting:

Is Axanar licensed by CBS/Paramount?

No, Axanar is an independent project that uses the intellectual property of CBS under the provision that Axanar is totally non-commercial. That means we can never charge for anything featuring their marks or intellectual property and we will never sell the movie, DVD/Blu-ray copies, T-shirts, or anything which uses CBS owned marks or intellectual property.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah I don't know if the actors are donating their time or what, but that is partially answered here:

http://www.startrekaxanar.com/faq/

Maybe its just the fanboy that I am, but I think that demo video looks pretty awesome, and I gladly donated to that.

The way I see it as a Trek fan and consumer, why pay Paramount for a Star Trek I don't want, when I can help pay for a Star Trek fan film that looks almost as good FX wise, and helps some actors, directors, and producers, who probably could qualify as struggling artists by the way, build a resume, and get something I do want in return. I would much rather help them, than some faceless billion dollar mega-corp company that as even you say doesn't care about me or what I think or want as a fan, anyway.

And another thing, Driver, did you watch the video I posted? If not, could you and then give me your honest opinion of it. I am not saying fan films are always the way to go. Most of them really suck. For example, I checked out Star Trek renegades. Pure Crap. But this Axanar thing really does look pretty cool to me.

I watched it and it wasn't bad at all. It felt fan-ish and some of the writing was stiff-- but the performances were good. I appreciated the documentary style as it allowed them to basically streamline their production between green screen performances and full cg footage. It was smart of them to find a way to work with their limitations.

It was cool-- but it wasn't a deep narrative that had me hooked for any longer than while I was watching it. The style was fun, but I prefer being sucked into an actual story.

It was a great effort and if Trek fans want this content-- then awesome. I just can't help but look at it and see wasted potential. If I had cg artists willing to do tons of free work, money for actors costumes and props I'd be making something original.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Do you mean original, as in a completely different movie unrelated to Star Trek, or an original Star Trek concept or story?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Thanks Driver. I am sure asking you all this is kind of like asking a veteran musician what local unsigned band he likes best, too. :)

I understand what you are saying, now. If the goal was as stated, and one's SOLE reason was to get noticed, and one wanted to make a demo tape of sorts, then I can totally see what you mean. Especially if one is an up and coming writer, producer or director, you want to show off your own work and your own talents. Those involved are the only ones who know for sure why they are doing this work.

But, I suspect there may be some genuine desire to do Star Trek specifically. But I have to say that it is amazing they got this 20 minute video done on an $80K budget (based on this, anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prelude_to_Axanar ). Maybe it is an over statement on my part to say it looks as good as the Abrams movies, but it does look as good as Star Trek Enterprise, at the very least. The space scenes looked better than the Star Trek TOS Remastered external ship scenes Paramount made, anyway.

And as for the actors, they are all connected to Trek (either as former Trek actors, or tangentially via Moore's BSG, or some other sci fi), so they may be doing this primarily for exposure which they haven't received in a while, and they know there is a segment of Trek fans that will flock to it (I resemble that!).

I think it is that desire to make a fan film vs. something original is what to me marks the difference between fandom and professional creator. I'm incredibly impatient and judgmental about fan fiction too. To me-- fan films/fic should be "practice" for the real thing-- not something you dedicate your life to making.

As much of a fanboy I am about the things I like, I don't want to play with those toys, I want my own.

I know plenty of creators that feel otherwise. My friend Javi created the show The Middleman and he encourages fans to make fanfiction, he loves it. George RR Martin despises GOT fanfics. I guess I'm somewhere in between.

Not sure if you caught it, but Neil Blomkampf tweeted art he created for an Alien movie yesterday, saying he had been doing it for fun. Not all too different. My career more or less broke on the fact that I took the reigns on beloved franchise that I have been a fan of most of my life. I couldn't say there's much difference between that and this Trek film other than the fact that what I was hired for was canonized.

It's a slippery slope. If I had the chance to write Trek I'd do it in a second-- as a pro. If I am going to spend my own time and money creating something like that film, I'd much rather it be something from my own imagination.

I think it comes down to what you want your creation to do. If you want to service your inner fanboy, and some other fans, great. I'd much rather stake my claim on my own IP in hopes that it grows and becomes something big enough that it inspires others... and, professionally, something that makes me money so I can continue to live my life as a creator, not a fan.

I know it sounds pompous, but hopefully not as pompous as Orci saying THIS IS WHY I MAKE MOVIES AND YOU DON'T!

Guest El Chalupacabra

No that makes total sense to me, Driver. Actually, you put it in a very understandable, down to Earth, and non-pompous way.

Your logic is flawed.

Who would invest in this project if it wasn't Star Trek but a figment of someone's imagination?? It wouldn't make $80K for the whole film nevermind a trailer.

What about all the people who haven't made it on to TV or movies getting a chance to showcase their talents in the hope of getting paid work or a career like you??

You know that you don't turn up, unpack your suitcase and start making your own movies and TV shows. That comes from hard graft.

No you're right-- that's part of the problem. Kickstarter and IndieGoGo are littered with unfounded original works. I don't disagree with you at all-- people absolutely show up with talent or money because they are fans.

But that's still part of the overall problem. People are afraid of taking a chance on the new.

Next time anyone complains that every movie out there from studios is a remake, sequel or adaption, remember that they face the same dilemma.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.