HA!

RamonAtila

...on the nearby forrest-moon of Endor.

Your friends, up there on the sanctuary MOON are walking into a trap.

I always figured endor was the moon. I can see how both ways make sense. meh whatever. The way I see it, if it's a simple matter of nomenclature, and it's ambiguous, than both can be correct. There's no basis for determining which is right or wrong since the movie is the only authority, and that failed. It doesn't matter anyways since everybody understands.

Seems like EU ubernerds, official or otherwise, decided in this instance the word 'of' meant relative-to rather than following as descriptive-of. I call BS. Endor is the moon. Such as; The barren moon of Luna, Terra's sole natural satellite.

Except that the "EU ubernerds" weren't the ones who started it. The novelization of Return of the Jedi was the source that originally identified Endor as the gas giant that the forest moon orbits.

You attempt to blame the EU and its devotees: FAIL.

All toys, and sets, make Endor out as the moon. Other EU made Endor out as the moon, I'm sure most intentionally forget Ewoks: The Battle for Endor.

The novelizations are EU btw, they are full of inconsistencies with the films. I feel safe saying my tag of "ubernerds, official or otherwise," still is correct.

This is why I didn't want to include Endor until Jacob brought it up. When looking up the forest moon on Wikipedia, it mentions that the moon is often known as Endor, but that the name technically belongs to the planet.

Besides this case, though, whenever I hear a name including "of" it refers to location or ancestry, not as a description of the object being named. Using THT's example, if I was referring to Earth's moon, I would not call it "the barren moon of Luna", but rather "the barren moon, Luna". If I was going to include an "of" in there, it would be as "the barren moon, Luna, of Earth".

That's right, of course.

The problem here however is the EU enforcing that correct usage over a line of dialogue spoken by an alien in a film series where aliens often speak incorrectly. Context says the moon is Endor. Toys say the moon is Endor. Video games say the moon is Endor. TV films say the moon is Endor.

Mara says anyone watching the film would say it's the planet not the moon. I find that extremely hard to believe. Ubernerds say it's the planet, I think it's more likely that everyone else doesn't even recall the Ewoks lived on a moon but instead it was a forest planet and then maybe it was called Endor.

Nerd is a matter of degree. Consumption of EU material must perforce make the consumer an individual of greater nerdiness, therefore "ubernerd" is an appropriate appellation for those people. Merely posting on a messageboard is a lesser degree of nerdiness.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.