2014 NFL Playoff's Wild Card Weekend Pick'em

Ms. Spam

Romo's issue is this with the public.

If you have a great QB, obviously everyone loves him. If you have a poor one, everyone knows he needs to be replaced. If you have a good one, who hasn't won or had much playoff success, people will start to question if he is good enough.

That's where Romo is, everyone knows he is good. I don't think anyone thinks he is great. Some people question if he is good enough. It's like when you have a very good NBA player as your best guy, he's good enough to win you 50 every year, but is he good enough to get you over that hump?

Romo's problem is confirmation bias. Any time he fails it's A) in prime-time or B) a 4:25 game which might as well be prime-time. Everyone sees when he fails. No one bothers to say anything when he leads 4th quarter comebacks (and he leads the league in that category dating back to 2010 or whatever). No one said anything today about the fact that in the Cowboys final 3 drives he led them to 17 points to come from behind to win. But lord have mercy watch out if he "chokes" next week. His 2011, 2012, and 2014 were absolutely superb seasons. This year even more so when you consider the Cowboys were 31st in the league in pass attempts. Romo is a terrific quarterback, there might be 8 guys in the league you'd definitely take over him, that might even be high. Manning, Brady, Rodgers definitely. Maybe Brees (was in the definitely category before an awful awful 2014) Roethlisberger, Luck? Wilson if you've fallen for that.

As for whether he's good enough- Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl, I think Romo is good enough.

Right on, Lucas. I think I fear the choke because it has happened many times and saw a few glimmers of "almost" in today's game. i mean the Lions played fantastic.A lot of the Lion's fans will probably cry about the officiating but it was a way more exciting game than watching the Bengals injure themselves out of contention or Pittsburgh crash and burn against the Ravens. I was just on the seat of my pants when the come back happened.

Romo's problem is confirmation bias. Any time he fails it's A) in prime-time or B) a 4:25 game which might as well be prime-time. Everyone sees when he fails. No one bothers to say anything when he leads 4th quarter comebacks (and he leads the league in that category dating back to 2010 or whatever). No one said anything today about the fact that in the Cowboys final 3 drives he led them to 17 points to come from behind to win. But lord have mercy watch out if he "chokes" next week. His 2011, 2012, and 2014 were absolutely superb seasons. This year even more so when you consider the Cowboys were 31st in the league in pass attempts. Romo is a terrific quarterback, there might be 8 guys in the league you'd definitely take over him, that might even be high. Manning, Brady, Rodgers definitely. Maybe Brees (was in the definitely category before an awful awful 2014) Roethlisberger, Luck? Wilson if you've fallen for that.

As for whether he's good enough- Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl, I think Romo is good enough.

The fact that they threw it so little helped him, they threw when they wanted to.

He is a good QB and he is good enough to win a Super Bowl. that doesn't mean he will. In fact it's unlikely. And Id take all those guys you mentioned before him without a question, other than maybe Wilson. I'd also take the other Manning.

Luck, Hilton (who played poorly today), Vontae, and McAfee might be the only four positions on the field where Indy has any kind of significant talent gap at all. Despite it all, this roster still isn't that great. Shockingly (not), it's as dependent on the quarterback as it was from 2001-2010.

He airmails throws a lot, and he's cavalier with the ball when trying to avoid sacks (I'm not talking about moving around in the pocket, I'm talking about the Roethlisberger 'try to make a play happen' stuff) his fumbles are absolutely untenable.

But about 4 times per game he'll make a play that leaves your jaw on the floor. Today it was the sack evasion + throw to Moncrief 40 yards in the air as he's being tackled.

Manning did that back in the day, Rodgers does it now. It's pretty incredible to watch.

Give me the QB who flat out makes plays. I hate the whole "oh no, avoid INTs and mistakes at all costs, we are soooo scared." You play scared, you lose. You have to be aggressive. Especially when your team is maybe not quite as good overall as the opponent. This is what people don't get about Eli Manning, its why he throws too many picks sometimes. He tries to make plays. If he didn't play that way and played it safe and tried so hard to avoid INTs, his stats would look better, his QB rating and his whatever that ESPN stat is would be higher and he wouldn't get made fun of more making a weird face when he does throw picks. And that would all be well and good, he'd also have no Championships.

Luck reminds me of Eli in alot of ways. Granted a better Eli, but the desire to make plays, big plays is there in both of them.

And more important the complete lack of fear of bad plays.

You're addressing a totally different point.

I don't think so, more or less agreeing with your post and basically saying some of those things you said in the first paragraph about Luck I'm more than willing to live with because Luck makes big plays.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.