Wine

Copper

so all of a sudden I like wine? Maybe not all of a sudden- I found out last year. It turns out that I just like a specific sort of wine: reds with a lot of body.

So far my absolute favorite is a good Grenache. Soo good. But I also am pretty fond of Petit Syrah's, Cab Savs, and even the occasional Merlot.

The thing I don't know anything about, though, is how to buy decent grocery store wine. So far I've been getting all my wine from Livermore wineries, particularly Concannon Vineyards because I love their wines more than any of the other local ones I've tasted. But I'm making this post because I'd like some suggestions for decent wines you can buy at the grocery store so that way I don't have to trek all the way out to Livermore to get my fix.

(DESTINY I'M LOOKING AT YOU!)

Having grown up in a state with no alcohol of any sort in grocery stores, it still seems strange to me at times that stores can do this. More than anything, though, it surprises me how much better the beer selection is in the grocery stores here compared to the beer shops in Maryland, especially since alcohol sales were banned here until around 8 years ago (thankfully, i wasn't here then, though).

Concannon is a good winery, that's why you like them! I can get them up here, sometimes in the grocery store.

You have pretty similar taste to me, actually. But I get mostly Washington wines at the grocery store, and you're probably going to have California wines. Menage a trois makes a good red blend, off of the top of my head.

I'd just start trying stuff! Or is there a local wine bar? See when they do tastings.

Yep, the best way I know is to either experiment (try to stick to grape varieties/years that you enjoy in other wines) or better, to attend tastings where you can try them. Grocery stores do this rarely here and they don't announce it well, which is why you might want to try a local liquor store that has a good wine dept. and does tastings. Plus those places have people who really know their wines, and you can get recommendations from them about what's good. Having someone who knows what they're doing and can recommend things is awesome.

There's also some good apps out there to keep track of what you drank and how you liked it (and how others rate the same bottle). Seeing those ratings for your grocery brands might help. I think the one I'm using now is Vivino?

I'm t-minus 22 hours from a trip to Sedona to wine it down for the week of xmas my birthday.

Dude. Happy ****ing birthday you old wino! What are you drinking??

You can't buy wine in a grocery store in Pennsylvania, so this concept is totally foreign to me. Also, I only like beer. So I will be no help at all.

whaaaaaat? worst state ever.

It's always confused me anytime I'm in a state where you can't buy certain kinds of alcohol in grocery stores or only at certain times and days or whatever. What a dumb set of laws.

Word bro.

Having grown up in a state with no alcohol of any sort in grocery stores, it still seems strange to me at times that stores can do this. More than anything, though, it surprises me how much better the beer selection is in the grocery stores here compared to the beer shops in Maryland, especially since alcohol sales were banned here until around 8 years ago (thankfully, i wasn't here then, though).

I don't understand these no alcohol restrictions you speak of. I thought this was America fircrissake!

Concannon is a good winery, that's why you like them! I can get them up here, sometimes in the grocery store.

You have pretty similar taste to me, actually. But I get mostly Washington wines at the grocery store, and you're probably going to have California wines. Menage a trois makes a good red blend, off of the top of my head.

I'd just start trying stuff! Or is there a local wine bar? See when they do tastings.

Nicole, next time you are in the bay area we should do a Livermore valley wine tasting! I lived 6 miles from Concannon for 3 years, and only started drinking there in the last year because my palette is dumb.

We have Menage a trois, so I will give that a shot. Last night I picked up a bottle of Copolla Pinot Noir. It was pretty good, but not as full-bodied as I would like.

Yep, the best way I know is to either experiment (try to stick to grape varieties/years that you enjoy in other wines) or better, to attend tastings where you can try them. Grocery stores do this rarely here and they don't announce it well, which is why you might want to try a local liquor store that has a good wine dept. and does tastings. Plus those places have people who really know their wines, and you can get recommendations from them about what's good. Having someone who knows what they're doing and can recommend things is awesome.

There's also some good apps out there to keep track of what you drank and how you liked it (and how others rate the same bottle). Seeing those ratings for your grocery brands might help. I think the one I'm using now is Vivino?

I will check out Vivino, that's a great idea! The thing I don't like about wine is that it's expensive (especially since I don't often drink the whole bottle, since I'm drinking alone) and if you buy a bottle you don't like you're out 10-15 bucks. Which is why I've been so picky about sticking with the stuff that I *know* I like.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm t-minus 22 hours from a trip to Sedona to wine it down for the week of xmas my birthday.

If you are going there, you may consider swinging by Jerome while your at it, and visit Caduceus. That is Maynard's (from Tool) winery, and is pretty decent. Then again, Cali has far superior wineries. I like Paso Robles wineries: nearly all the taste and none of the snobbery of Napa or Sonoma.

i tried being a wine-o. like, really, super-duper hard when i was in my early/mid 20's. i just got tired of pretending wine smelling like cat piss was okay. or pretending that a wine tasting like a tree or dirt or smoke and cigarettes was completely acceptable.

If you are going there, you may consider swinging by Jerome while your at it, and visit Caduceus. That is Maynard's (from Tool) winery, and is pretty decent. Then again, Cali has far superior wineries. I like Paso Robles wineries: nearly all the taste and none of the snobbery of Napa or Sonoma.

caduceus is actually our primary target for bday dinner. (I'll be 21)

i tried being a wine-o. like, really, super-duper hard when i was in my early/mid 20's. i just got tired of pretending wine smelling like cat piss was okay. or pretending that a wine tasting like a tree or dirt or smoke and cigarettes was completely acceptable.

word, bro

Pallettes and tastes mature. It's why a lot of peopl hate veggies as kids but love them as adults. If you would have told 9 year old me I'd like Brussle sprouts some day I wouldn't believe it.

I'm finding I have way more of a taste for wine now than I did a decade ago.

Pallettes and tastes mature. It's why a lot of peopl hate veggies as kids but love them as adults. If you would have told 9 year old me I'd like Brussle sprouts some day I wouldn't believe it.

I'm finding I have way more of a taste for wine now than I did a decade ago.

we'll talk in about 6 more years when i'm 37-38.

I have always HATED wine. Tried all kinds, hated them all. Ever since my problems when the docs took me off of pain killers, I've turned to drinking and picked up a few new vices including some good tasting wine! I'm not a red wine man, so I like a cold glass of white, something crisp and not too dry. I found a California wine called SEQUIN Rose` Delicately Bubbled. It's got a sweetness that's not tooooo sweet, but you can flavor is there. And the light carbonation makes it perfect. I get a great deal buying in at my local groceries store, where it's on sale once a month (With extra Fuel Perks!)

heh. not to turn this into a thread about my hatred of wine but I too do not like it. some of that stems from the fact it is my mom's drug of choice and her crappy wine gave me horrible headaches and runs. I do like muscato and sweet but not to sweet fruity wines. I like wines you have to serve cold.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm not trying to sound like some wine aficionado because I'm not, and for the longest time I didn't like wine, either. The wines I like are mostly white over red, anyway, so anyone who is considered a "real" wine enthusiast would look down on me, anyway, so this is all just my opinion. But I would say if you don't like wine, at least try a good dessert or sweet wine like a muscato, pinot grigio, or riesling. You may find you actually like them. As for wine tastings at wineries, it's best done with a group of friends for fun, not for the sake of trying to be a show off or impress someone.

I wish I liked wine, or beer. I only like mixed drinks and I hate whenever I go to a function with an "open bar" but they only have beer or wine. Or all the geeky pubs/bars in the area I like, but they only serve beer and wine, not liquor. Wtf. Alas, I've tried lots of different wines and beers and hate them all.

In Florida you can buy beer and wine at the grocery store, but not liquor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.