Obama Normalizing Relations with Cuba and Nobody Serious or Important is Angry

Pong Messiah

I think very few people care about it anymore. Really, the only thing I care about are the human-rights violations. But we let American citizens travel to countries with corrupt dictators all the time. I'm hoping that the re-establishment of diplomatic relations can help the Cuban people, because pretending they didn't exist didn't seem to help much.

Bad idea, but I think Obama knows he has become less popular than Bush at this point and will go down as one of the worst presidents ever so he might as well do this stuff because really who hasnt he pissed off and alienated except the entitlement folks and those who live off the gov teet.

I mean if we have relations with China and Saudi Arabia then why not Cuba? Those two are horrible examples of human rights that Cuba is small time compared to those two.

At the same time it only helps Raul Castro and the regime strengthen which I do not like.

I am not sure how it strengthens Castro. Isolation seems to have strengthened the regime far beyond any expectations because people don't know different and it's easier to show the US as the bad guy.

Well the mayor of Miami is telling Cuba to take its consulate plans and shove them.

As RM said, we deal with China, Vietnam, etc....the Cold War is done, time to move on.

I think this is awesome. I would love to go birding in Cuba sometime. I'm sure a dollar will go a long way there too.

OMG! And the old cars too!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Are Cuban cigars going to be legal? That's all anybody really cares about.

They already were for personal ownership of up to I think about $100 worth. And it was and is legal to travel there already, if you get booked under an "educational" tour. Besides Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars are now better anyway. They took tobacco seeds from Cuba years back and bred them to be better than Cuban cigars.

Bad idea, but I think Obama knows he has become less popular than Bush at this point and will go down as one of the worst presidents ever so he might as well do this stuff because really who hasnt he pissed off and alienated except the entitlement folks and those who live off the gov teet.

I mean if we have relations with China and Saudi Arabia then why not Cuba? Those two are horrible examples of human rights that Cuba is small time compared to those two.

At the same time it only helps Raul Castro and the regime strengthen which I do not like.

I am not sure how it strengthens Castro. Isolation seems to have strengthened the regime far beyond any expectations because people don't know different and it's easier to show the US as the bad guy.

If anything, IMHO, it weakens Raul Castro. I believe once the tourism and trade dollars start flowing into Cuba, people are going to demand more freedom, in the same way it happened to China.

This embargo has been an outdated one since the fall of the Soviet Union, anyway. I find it interesting that some of the proponents of keeping the embargo in place, have no problems with economic ties with "Red" China, or with Russia for that matter. Yet Cuba, a tiny island of 11 million people is some huge threat?

Marco Rubio was running around the other day screaming how bringing economic prosperity and free trade to Cuba will NEVER bring freedom to Cubans. Yet isn't that the standard GOP line, one even used to help justify going into IRAQ a few years back? Wasn't China cited as an example of that, too? HMMM, could it just be that Rubio is too close to the issue and holds a grudge, considering his own family had land seized by Castro and fled Cuba, to be objective here? Methinks so.

OMG! And the old cars too!

Yeah! I'm going down there to buy a vintage 1957 Chevy!

Actually, on second thought, I am sure they are all rusted out, being on an island surrounded by salt water.

You don't want Dominican can cigars. Unless ur all Cubaned out. Then you can be that second class her. It's okay don't worry about being PC I'm Dominican. I honestly don't care. But the thing is, we don't care about this american-cuban a-hah because we'RE all on the north Korean missile crisis. What's next! Trinidad and tobago?!

Marco Rubio was running around the other day screaming how bringing economic prosperity and free trade to Cuba will NEVER bring freedom to Cubans. Yet isn't that the standard GOP line, one even used to help justify going into IRAQ a few years back? Wasn't China cited as an example of that, too? HMMM, could it just be that Rubio is too close to the issue and holds a grudge, considering his own family had land seized by Castro and fled Cuba, to be objective here? Methinks so.

Rubio is a screaming scrub thinking he's marking all of the right checkboxes to appeal to an increasingly isolated Republican base. As noted by others, he whines about opening relations with Cuba's oppressive Castro regime, yet conveniently avoids talking about U.S. trade with China, etc. it would be amusing to see this guy make a run for the White House in 2016--if for no other reason that to see him stammer himself into national embarrassment--probably by saying to his GOP opponents, "un-UNN! you're more like Obama than I am!"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.