The best/worst gaming communities

Burt

I have recently played a lot of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare on PC, and I was kind of blown away by how shitty so many people are. The game is fun, and I adapted and became equally shitty, but it's like everyone is just miserable playing that game. Lots of whining, accusations, etc. There are 4 player classes, and it seems like everyone has a gripe about each class. You just can't win, someone is getting butthurt. Recently, I started a multiplayer sessions by typing "GET READY TO EAT A D*** SANDWICH MUTH ****AS". I paused and thought, "Wow, I just typed that." That game brought out the worst in me.

Most of my other gaming experience was with Left 4 Dead 2, which on the elite levels (Realism: Expert) has a pretty solid community. There is an occasional troll, but I have quite a few Steam friends through that game and we will coordinate games. I haven't made a single friend on Chivalry and don't want any association with those bastards whatsoever.

So, what do you think are the best and worst gaming communities? I listed the two above examples because they're recent, but I'd have to say:

1) BEST. The old Star Wars Galaxies MMO. I had so many great times playing this game.

2) Chivalry is close, but Call of Duty was pretty garbage. I played about 4 hours before I had enough. Never returned.

My online gaming experiences are limited.

My first MMO was City of Heroes and as long as you played your class everyone I encountered was helpful and happy to be playing. My only other sustained MMO experience is DC Universe Online. DCUO's community is active but the meaning of cooperative play let alone the definition of the words 'please help' seem to be a foreign langauge. However when vulgarity does pop up it's usually and strangely racist, the mods get a hold of it within reason however, it's not lawless.

I loved the simplicity of Civilization: Revolution, but it's community was practically non-existent. The only other time I've played online is typical round based competitive play, from the NFL to shooters, and that has been a fairly quiet experience but probably only to no one on PS3 owning a mic. lol

I hate MMOS and multiplayer games-- unless you can devote 15 hours a day to a game you die the second you spawn. Zero fun.

Not so coincidentally- gaming for 15 hours sudsy generally results in being a social retard, hence the behavior we're talking about.

Guest El Chalupacabra

WOWers are pretty bad. This totally doesn't do this story I have justice by relaying it here like this, but I used to work with this one guy who randomly started talking to me out of the blue one day. He was genuinely and visibly distraught, and told me how he and his friends had a friend who died, and while they were all at the wake, some other group of people crashed the wake and started randomly hacking people to death. I didn't think this was true at all, but he seemed to believe it himself, and I guess he read the shock on my face (because I thought this guy was crack head street people crazy), then he elaborated he was talking about an online wake for some friend's character's death in WOW.

On a semi-related note, Star Trek fans have got to be some of the worst fans of any fandom there is, and I am not talking about the stereotypical Trekkies who dress up at conventions. I'm talking about the message board keyboard warrior debaters. I used to lurk at a Star Trek message board, and those fans are some of the most miserable, combative, petty, know it all, holier-than-thou types around. It's not worth going into in any detail, beyond the fact that there are certain factions (some like TOS, some TNG or other spin off shows, some Abramsverse), and they argue 10 pages deep over most ridiculous minutiae, or how one version rules and the rest are crap, etc. And before the joke about nightly is even suggested, nightly is way tame and far more rational by comparison to what I've seen and read at this particular site.

Other than an occasional Mario Kart 8 match or trying gta online last year for about an hour, I do not online game. At all. It's never interested me. I dabbled a bit in college with Diablo 2 online. Tried WoW years ago. I'm thinking 2006ish. Couldn't get into it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.