I need a gift for a two year old. Help.

Ms. Spam

Need more info.

Avoiding all toys or just plastic? You say plastic, but it sounds like you mean all toys. What does the child like? Do they live in San Antonio? Do parents work? What's the price range?

I am just sorta stumped. He is a boy who is expecting another little brother to join him in march. I think he is getting a lot of big toys like a basketball hoop set and a pedal car. Last I got him a wagon.

I was thinking hand puppets.

I am just sorta stumped. He is a boy who is expecting another little brother to join him in march. I think he is getting a lot of big toys like a basketball hoop set and a pedal car. Last I got him a wagon.

I was thinking hand puppets.

I always give books. Sandra Boynton is an exvellent children's author.

Books are great. I can come up with a pretty good list. Sandra Boynton is great, I really like the Llama Llama books. My son loves anything with trucks, and he loves Thomas the Tank Engine.

Videos can be good, depending on the parent. I would either need to be close or have a list.

Experiences are great, I bet they have play cafes that you could get gift certificates.

Cardboard boxes.

Seriously, what kid doesn't love to play in a big box?

I totally want to do this. I saw a pristine giant box by the dumpster at school. I want a sensory type thing. He's a thinker. I have this idea about going to the fabric store and getting swatches of different fabric with textures and then buying these really cool things they sell at Home Depot that open like those little plastic change things at the top but are larger and shaped like a pill or tube that is about 6 inches long (No choking hazzard as they'd be about 6 inches long) and sewing one in and stuffing it with fabric so he can pull it out and feel it.

So the fabric would be glued inside something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Clear-Can-2-3-4-in-x-5-in-Storage-Container-00387/100337889?N=5yc1vZc28p

Then he could pull it out and feel the texture. I think his brother when he comes would like it too.

I want something that is fun but provides an experience. But it's important that Mom and Dad like it for the value it gives them.

Almost anything Melissa & Doug makes is excellent. My experience with Noah is that if it does anything on its own, i.e. makes noise, does tricks, moves, etc., then they won't play with it for more than a day or so. True toys that require a child to use their own imagination (blocks, dolls, toy cars, costumes, dress-up, play food and dishes, etc.) don't go out of style and they tend to get a TON more use.

Or try these.

A season's pass to the zoo would be good, but if they're having a baby soon then they won't really have the time or will to go enough to make it worth it. Perhaps next year.

Everything Reese posted is spot on.

The people who go out of their way to get loud and annoying toys just to stick it the the parents are eye rolling, and not because they succeeded. Those toys, as Reese said, never last long and usually end up in the donation pile because the kid just doesn't give a shit, not because it drives the parents crazy.

One of Noah's favorite toys right now is the handle from an old broom/mop. Sometimes it's his "Gandalf stick", sometimes it's his "Donatello stick", sometimes it's a double sided lightsaber, and sometimes it's just a really long stick to get random objects out of the tree.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.