2016 GOP Candidates for President

Pong Messiah

In full disclosure, I think that we will look back and say that Chicago decided the general election. Trump already has the nomination.

Shutting down a Trump rally wont silence Trumpism. On the contrary, it affirms it. Why does the Left continue to make this mistake?

The one thing the establishments on the right and left have in common is complete obliviousness and ideologically rooted self absorbtion. That's precisely the problem.

Meanwhile all of us who are in the middle are getting fucked from both ends.

In full disclosure, I think that we will look back and say that Chicago decided the general election. Trump already has the nomination.

I don't know that I'd go that far. There are dozens upon dozens of news cycles between now and November.

That being said, I certainly agree that the current 'tactic' of the left is counter-productive and only helping make Trump stronger. Liberals just don't seem to get it- I've read plenty of celebratory articles about how the protesters won a great victory or whatever since the rally was shut down and Trump didn't speak. Such opinions are pretty short-sighted though- the type of person who is ecstatic that Trump had his rally shut down are the type of person that was never voting for Trump anyway.

Meanwhile, images coming out of the chaos include people waving Mexican flags and cheering upon Trump cancelling the Chicago rally, images of bloodied police officers, people stomping on the American flag earlier in St Louis, and then a protester rushing the stage to attack Trump today in Ohio... I mean, the TV ads are just writing themselves folks. This is the sort of stuff that starts freaking out soccer moms in Middle America suburbia, places like Columbus OH and Orlando FL. These are the people that are going to decide the election; not liberal professors of [insert minority group] studies at [insert overpriced liberal arts college].

Equally confusing is the attempts of some leftists I've seen to double down on this- blaming the violence on Trump. There are several problems with this message, the first being of course, that it seems oddly racist to suggest that certain minority groups just can't help themselves but to be violent when someone like Trump shows up. But besides that, I imagine most people in the middle just aren't going to see it that way. People supporting the protesters can celebrate all they want and blame Trump, but that soccer mom in a swing state is just gonna see that Trump tried to hold a rally and it was violently shut down, that person will see the images of the protesters and probably get a little scared, and then will probably think the left's tactic of blaming Trump is akin to victim-blaming.

It's these types of tactics over the past couple years that set the conditions for Trump's rise in the first glace. Again, they just don't get it.

1968 again?

Not so sure. Truth is, I think there's a LOT of distrust of Trump among the general populace. Sure there's frustration with political correctness and the SJWs, but I don't think that's so big an issue that it can actually decide an election. I think a lot of people look at something like Black Lives Matter and think, "Yeah, they're angry and kind of fanatical, but maybe they have some reason to be." As long as it's not their neighborhoods burning down ... whatever. At the very least, it's my belief (and I could be wrong) that Trump will have to manage his image if/when it comes down to him vs Hillary (most likely) in a way he hasn't had to so much until now. He could get away with the kind of bombastic contrariness that's gotten him this far with core constituencies of the G.O.P base. But it's also off-putting for a lot of people. In the end, unless she's completely sunk by some scandal or another, Hillary's experience will most likely be what decides it.

Kurg: "the nomination" = GOP nomination, and barring a monumental historical collapse and/or convention shenanigans, I don't see any way Trump doesn't get it. I don't think Fozzie was being serious when he said "President Trump" on the last page.

That said, I think Trump could do much better than expected against Hillary Clinton, given his specific strengths and her specific weaknesses, but she's definitely favored.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Meanwhile all of us who are in the middle are getting ****ed from both ends.

Right? How many moderates (myself included) are going to walk into the election booth this November and go:

EPdZ2Js.gif

That's the beauty of living in a red state: your vote doesn't count for sh*t, anyway. Even if I were inclined to vote for Hillary, it won't matter with the electoral college. I can tell you I am definitely not throwing my vote to Team Trump, though.

Meanwhile all of us who are in the middle are getting ****ed from both ends.

Right? How many moderates (myself included) are going to walk into the election booth this November and go:

EPdZ2Js.gif

That's the beauty of living in a red state: your vote doesn't count for sh*t, anyway. Even if I were inclined to vote for Hillary, it won't matter with the electoral college. I can tell you I am definitely not throwing my vote to Team Trump, though.

This.

I had to check out of the Cruz speech the second he coughed up Rubio's worn out story about his bartender/maid parents. That "poor, immigrant parents wanted the American dream" story is one of the most abused of any campaign.

God, speaking of Cruz... he is speaking now.

His creeper body language, the perpetual oily sheen of sweat on his skin, even his voice makes me nauseous. WTF is it with that guy?

Gross gross gross.

Hero, hero, hero!

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm a little peeved by this. He was the easiest on the eyes.

Look on the bright side: if (BIIIIGGG IIIIFFF!!) there is a brokered convention, and Kasich is nominated, Rubio could be picked up as Veep. Rubio did tell voters to vote for Kasich, not him, after all. I mean what's up with that?

Look on the bright side: if (BIIIIGGG IIIIFFF!!) there is a brokered convention, and Kasich is nominated, Rubio could be picked up as Veep. Rubio did tell voters to vote for Kasich, not him, after all. I mean what's up with that?

Calculated risk, trying to get Kasich to reciprocate in Ohio and trying to show himself to be the leader of an anti-Trump coalition.

Too little, too late, but at least he tried the Hail Mary.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Calculated risk, trying to get Kasich to reciprocate in Ohio and trying to show himself to be the leader of an anti-Trump coalition.

Too little, too late, but at least he tried the Hail Mary.

Oh it ain't going to happen, or at least I would be very shocked if it did. I am just saying that now that it is down to Trump, Kasich, and Cruz, Kasich is the only guy the GOP would WANT to have it, if they did end up with a brokered convention. And if that did happen, I think there is a good chance he would tap Rubio for VEEP.

Very true. I would have to move to Ohio or Florida to matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.