2016 GOP Candidates for President

Pong Messiah

But Cruz's speech makes me think he's on crack because in his world - he won! I also hope Carson stays in the race longer because he'll hurt Cruz while Jeb dropping out helps Rubio.

Come on. Rubio barely squeezed by him.

Carson staying in is not as big a deal to Cruz as some believe. Carson's biggest support base--evangelicals--are not going to stay on his sinking ship just to get Cruz. That would be a pointless stand to make.Assuming (in the bigger picture) they fear a Hillary presidency, they will need to support someone who has serious chance. Right now, that's Cruz or the most fake religious candidate of all, Trump. So, they will need to make a deal with the devil(s)...or say hello to President Hillary.

Are you a serious Cruz supporter, or do you seriously think Cruz would have a chance in a general election?

No, i'm not Cruz supporter, but the anti-Democrat gas fueling the right is so explosive that it created the perfect environment where Cruz could win. 2008...no. 2012--in the wake of the Tea Party's rise, the anger was there, but they needed additional Obama years (and events such as the SC's ruling on gay marriage, apparent weakness in dealing with terror and Putin) to finally push most of the Right factions to support a candidate who is--frankly--more "balls to the wall." Meaning, being the extreme opposite of Obama.

That's Cruz, more than Trump on his worst day.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Cruz could win....the GOP nomination. Especially since the GOP primaries in some states are sort of like the Electoral College and it's winner take all (never liked that method in primaries, but whatever).

But in a general? Nope. I don't think so. Cruz gets curb stomped by Sanders, at least in this poll.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-cruz-vs-sanders

So does Trump

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-cruz-vs-sanders

Cruz does slightly better VS Clinton, but still loses:

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-cruz-vs-clinton

Trump loses against Clinton as well

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

Cruz could win....the GOP nomination. Especially since the GOP primaries in some states are sort of like the Electoral College and it's winner take all (never liked that method in primaries, but whatever).

Wha? ?

Dude, Trump is polling ahead of Cruz in every single state except Texas, where Cruz has a 1% lead. In most states, Trump is leading by double digits over Cruz, and in some states (like Massachusetts), he has a 40% lead.

Please, tell me Cruz's path to the nomination. I would love to hear this.

People in Texas are on stupid crack. Or at least the ones that pollsters call.

I think the GOP needs to embrace Trump and welcome his weirdo ass into the fold now.

If more of the establishment had done so earlier, he may not have done as well. He really needed the outsider angle. But on the other hand, every whiny liberal i know has been posting nothing but Trump online for months, and I don't think we can ignore that as excellent publicity.

If you would've told me Trump would be the nominee a year ago, even six months ago, I'd have laughed in your face. Now I'm starting to think he has a legitimate chance to win the whole thing. It's sickeningly surreal.

The only candidate I actually liked dropped out several months ago. The last one I find remotely tolerable (distinct from liking) has virtually zero chance of winning.

Clinton is a triangulating crook, Bernie is a well-meaning but incompetent simp, Trump is... Trump, Rubio is an empty suit filled with creepy chattering pro-life (yet strangely, hawkish and flesh-eating) insects, Cruz is literally the spawn of Satan, and Carson is just rambling insanity with a smile.

At this point, might as well embrace the horror.

:yes:

Guest El Chalupacabra

Wha? ?

Dude, Trump is polling ahead of Cruz in every single state except Texas, where Cruz has a 1% lead. In most states, Trump is leading by double digits over Cruz, and in some states (like Massachusetts), he has a 40% lead.

Please, tell me Cruz's path to the nomination. I would love to hear this.

I agree Trump is far ahead right now, and I am not saying he isn't the likely winner. I am saying it is within the realm of possibility, if winner take all states like CA, IL, FL, and TX go to Cruz, that Cruz could take it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Wow, lot of desperation setting in here, vicious haymakers, and the crowd is nutty.

Best debate ever?

For a minute, I thought you were referring to this thread. :)

Guest El Chalupacabra

What's awesome (and it's fortunate, really) is that people like David Duke are so busy trying to convince the world of their racist agenda, they are tone deaf to how toxic their endorsement really is. If David Duke had any sense at all, and he really wanted to help Trump get elected, he should have come out for Hillary Clinton.

People who fear and loathe Trump will try to make it as big of a deal as possible, but I don't see it mattering a whole lot. Duke spoke warmly of Trump last summer, and Trump's response was basically "So what? I'll disavow it if it makes you feel better." He obviously didn't care (or did a good job pretending he didn't care), and the issue went away in a few minutes. Now that Trump is more of a clear and present danger, a lot more time will be spent trying to make this a dealbreaker, but given how no other line of attack has been particularly effective, I don't see why this one will be. I thought Trump's lines about Mexican rapists and blocking Muslims would hurt him or at least create an impossibly low ceiling of support, but he's still doing fine in the primaries, and his ceiling appears to be getting higher, if anything.

BTW... David Duke said Obama was a better choice than Romney in 2012, and Romney still got destroyed.

:p

Guest El Chalupacabra

BTW... David Duke said Obama was a better choice than Romney in 2012, and Romney still got destroyed.

:p

I vaguely remember that, and had to google it to refresh my memory. Duke was endorsing Obama over Romney in 2012 because basically Duke hated Jewish people more than black people that election cycle. Had something to do with some twisted idea that the Jewish people were the puppet masters of the Federal government and at least Obama, being black, probably would be hostile towards Jewish people.

But as I recall, there was a lot of republicans staying home in both 2008 and 2012 to "teach the GOP a lesson" because if Obama got elected, America would be destroyed enough to wake everyone up to this vast liberal conspiracy, and see how bad it really was. And the hope was some Reagan-like figure would ride in on a white horse and rescue America in 2016.

Now that 2016 is here, two things:

1. Oddly, the US and the world didn't collapse

2. Reagan-like figure never appeared. The best the GOP have to offer is Trump, Cruz, or Rubio.

Pathetic. Yet hilarious.

Sorry -- my comment about Duke/Romney was flippant (hence the :p emoticon). My point was just that who Duke likes or dislikes isn't that relevant to most people.

Regarding ****ty offerings by the GOP, I disagree. There have been a LOT of talented candidates this time around. Of the people who are left, only Carson doesn't make any sense to me:

• If you want a Neocon, Rubio is a great candidate!
  • If you want a Bible Thumping Culture Warrior,* Cruz is a great candidate!
  • If you want a Angry Populist, Trump is a great candidate!
  • If you want a Consensus Builder, Kasich is a great candidate!

The only issue for me is that they run between "tolerable" (Kasich) to "utterly loathable" (Cruz), so there is nobody to be excited for -- as I've said a few times, I only tune in for the fighting. And as somebody who is not in love with either party, but generally turned off by a lot Republican policy and rhetoric, I imagine you are in a similar boat as me.

But for American conservatives/Republicans, this has been a great year. Lots of variety and the level of engagement has been historic. On a similar note, the Sanders/Clinton primaries have been pretty good, too. Less variety, but have really helped bring more focus on issues of income inequality and where we go forward with health care, which I heartily approve of.

*just can't bring myself to believe his followers actually care about the Constitution.... or that he has followers in the first place

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.