2016 GOP Candidates for President

Pong Messiah

In theory, Trump won the debate he bailed on, as it allowed the rest of the bottom feeders to attack 2nd banana Cruz. Whether or not that works is another matter, since supporters already leaning in a certain direction will ignore any exposed weaknesses. An example of that can be found among Rubio supporters, who actually claim he's "honest" when Jeb Bush so easily pulled the curtain away to reveal how much Rubio's lied / changed positions on immigration.

Hillary and/or Sanders must love watching this super-sized train wreck.

Ugh, yeah. Man, I hope for a miracle on Tuesday. Kasich, Christie, Rubio, even Bush lol. Anybody but Trump. OK, maybe not Cruz. Or Carson. But still.

When Trump said he'd be happy to bring back waterboarding... and worse and people actually cheered my jaw almost fell off and hit the floor.

My family has Cruz or Carson as their choices. They're just as freaked out by Trump's popularity as I am.

The very idea of being mad about Trump's popularity because you support Cruz or Carson -- arguably the only candidates who are more strident and egotistical (Cruz) or hapless and vague on the issues (Carson) echoes like the shrieks of some absurdist nightmare. I am sorry to say this about your fam, Spam, but it absolutely chills me to the core that there are people out there who are that ****ing stupid... and that they vote.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sanders supporters are hopelessly naive and on a collision course with bitter disappointment (which I will find delicious when he comes close but loses to Clinton or becomes the most ineffective and beleaguered president in history). I think the only "accomplishment" progressives can reasonably expect from president Sanders will be a liberal Supreme Court appointment or three... but at the end of the day, at least Sanders isn't running on a platform that celebrates the backward and subnormal.

I'm not voting for Trump, Cruz or Carson but it amazes me that anyone rates the others as marginally similar to Trump. The guy represents the absolute worst of America. I'd consider David Duke or Trey Radel before Trump. He'll, President Glenn Beck makes me feel more comfortable than Trump.

I think this just goes back to the fact that no one of sound mind wants a political position so we get nuts that reflect a certain demographic of the US because not enough voters go to the polls. We are going to get more voters that reflect a core "wacko" who does vote in droves so that the one nut who did chose to run - Trump - runs and gets the most attention far beyond what many thought he would.

I agree with CM that Trump - minus a few things concerning women and international politics - would probably fit some of my desires in a president. If it just wasn't packaged like it is. What disturbs me more is not the idiots I can chose from in the GOP but the fact that there are Americans who believe in what they say. Their rhetoric is accepted and people with a more stable view are being shot down or pushed aside for people who might be considered the silent majority who feel that they're being assaulted by progressive liberals. Like they're physically being hurt. And no amount of facts will assuage them. I remember '08 where all these people were freaking out that the democrats were going to take away their guns. They went in droves to buy guns and stock up. They still have their guns. And we still have people dying from gunshot-itis. (I own a gun and fully believe in the rights for people to own guns). I have never seen such ugly things said as I see about Obama in conversation with people I go to Church with or interact at school (as a funny aside I recently had a parent accuse Obama for her sons failure as a student).

I'm not voting for Trump, Cruz or Carson but it amazes me that anyone rates the others as marginally similar to Trump. The guy represents the absolute worst of America. I'd consider David Duke or Trey Radel before Trump. He'll, President Glenn Beck makes me feel more comfortable than Trump.

I can see that. I don't see Cruz or Carson as similar to Trump at all, just as even worse in certain areas Trump is already bad. Also, to be fair to Cruz, he really has tamped down on the holy roller bullshit since Iowa. 6 days clean!!!

For me, though, while I find Trump incredibly entertaining, it comes down to a strong personal dislike of the guy and some of the impulses/beliefs he represents. Believe it or not, I honestly could see the guy "making deals" and "getting stuff done" as president and not being a total disaster; I just don't like him.

The reason I dislike the idea of a President Cruz even more than Trump, is that Cruz, while still a weaselly politician, really does seem to be working from within an icky ideological framework. He is also in kind of a similar position to Sanders, where not only does a large swath of America strongly dislike him, but a large swath of his own party can't stand him. I picture a Cruz presidency being much like a Sanders presidency, the only difference being an inversion of the people who hate him and the fact that Cruz is an asshole. Trump is an asshole, too, of course, but I could see Republicans (and Democrats) working with him in situations where it also makes them look good.

The reason I dislike the idea of a President Carson is not that I dislike the guy (I like him fine; he seems nice enough), but the fact that the dude is usually even more nebulous than Trump with his responses to questions, and that he seems to prefer inoculating himself from concepts or beliefs he disagrees with. I don't see President Carson as some kind of dictator or early-draft Palpatine, but I do see him wandering through his presidency with blinders on and accomplishing little to nothing good.

Rubio should pull Christie's shoe out of his ass.

This.

My goodness, what a disaster for Rubio. Almost as bad (perhaps equally as bad) as Perry's "oops" moment from the last cycle. Just a absolute pwning of Rubio by Christie. I almost couldn't bear to keep watching it, it was so bad.

Open question how much this will effect the race, however. Perry never recovered from "oops." I don't think this is quite as bad for Rubio. Then again- I could be wrong, who knows. The media coverage on this one so far has been pretty heavily focused on Rubio's gaffe. This couldn't have come at a worse time- with him building momentum from IA as the establishment pick, and with NH only a few days away. If the establishment vote splits again to Rubio/Kasich/Bush/Christie, Trump will win handily, which has significant implications for SC. Not enough news cycles between now and NH for it to really disappear either. Rubio has to hope that it gets lost in the shuffle with the Super Bowl.

I agree with CM that Trump - minus a few things concerning women and international politics -

What things "concerning women" is Trump bad on?

He's unattractive. Don't be unattractive.

When Trump said he'd be happy to bring back waterboarding... and worse

AND refused to say what he thought was "and worse..."

Why would anyone vote for a person who won't say HOW he's planning to do any of the insane things he says he'll do?

What things "concerning women" is Trump bad on?

He's awful at referring to women, as he's used words like dogs, disgusting animals and fat pigs. He said Hillary Clinton was disgusting for visiting the ladies' room.

He suggested Megan Kelly was having a period and this is why she asked the questions she did of him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.