2016 GOP Candidates for President

Pong Messiah

The moderators are bending over backward not to play gotcha or heckle the candidates this time around.

On one hand, it's nice hearing the candidates talk about issues without being on the defensive or complaining about the moderators.

On the other hand, there really isn't enough pushback when they deflect questions or say questionable stuff -- the moderators are basically allowing the candidates to respond with stump speeches.

I prefer this less confrontational format, but it's too much in the other direction compared to the last debate.

The Fox debate was the alternate universe version of CNBC. Instead of angenda-driven "gotcha" speeches, it was largely like tossing underhands to Barry Bonds while in Hall of Fame mode, partuicularly with Carson, who was provided cover by not exploring his genuine troubles with truth, while he tried to gain points by calling Clinton a liar.

...and Marco "barking to sound REALLY conservative / hawkish" Rubio...sigh.

I maybe debated out. I am watching the retelevised debate right now. Obama got it right. If you can't handle moderators in a debate how the hell are you going to be able to handle the Russians and Chinese?

So what is Obama's excuse for not handling China & Russia?

The Fox debate was the alternate universe version of CNBC. Instead of angenda-driven "gotcha" speeches, it was largely like tossing underhands to Barry Bonds while in Hall of Fame mode, partuicularly with Carson, who was provided cover by not exploring his genuine troubles with truth, while he tried to gain points by calling Clinton a liar.

Agreed.

Like I said earlier, I prefer a less combative discussion, but this was ridiculous in the other direction.

It shouldn't be a choice between "moderator as sneering inquisitor" vs. "moderator as fawning sycophant." I know this will be a revelation to some, but it is possible to be polite and professional while pushing back against somebody who is dodging questions/making inaccurate statements.

That said, looking at the candidates, the moderators really are the least of our problems.

Rand Paul finally grew a spine at exactly the wrong time

Kasich looked like the most petulant, childish "adult in the room" I have ever seen

Trump is just lol

Carson was a great neurosurgeon and seems like a nice enough guy, but dig into his personal beliefs and policy recommendations and the guy is a kook (IMO)

Bush looks like he has better things to do than debate you guys

Cruz will wall off the country and put us all in gulags where we are forced to join the chess club or debate team

Rubio is baby Obama

Fiorina will fire us from Hewlett Packard

Bleh

Not that the Democratic candidates are any more inspiring, of course. Is Gary Johnson running again?

• 1 month later...

twangy white girl singing national anthem

really not widening the tent u guys

They need to expand the tent, but completely moving away from an undeniable part of their base instantly plays as desperate, and no one trusts/buys that.

...or, you could have dragged Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner on stage, singing Helen Reddy's 1972 feminist anthem "I Am Woman." A total sideshow, but no one would forget the performance.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

I found this article interesting.....

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/01/the-great-republican-revolt/419118/

Edit:

CM had actually posted that same article before I posted it here (and before I realized she had), in this thread....

http://nightly.net/topic/78559-who-is-scarier-to-you-trump-or-cruz/

Her post #17 in that thread is dead on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.