2016 GOP Candidates for President

Pong Messiah

Jeb on Rubio's attendance in the Senate:

“But Marco, when you signed up for this, this was a six-year term, and you should

be showing up to work. I mean, literally, the Senate — what is it, like, a

French work week? You get, like, three days where you have to show up?”

The moderators were terrible. This was definitely the most amateurish production of all the debates so far. And at least try to hide your smirks as you load up with another gotcha question, guys!

As much as it pains me to agree with Cruz on anything, he was spot on in his criticisms (I noticed bill maher tweeted the same thing: "omgwtf I agree with Ted Cruz on something!") The moderators were clearly never gonna vote in any republican primary, cept for shenanigans and didn't even try to hide it.

Yeah, it was. And he wouldn't have been able to get away with it -- or at least wouldn't have had an opening for the "retort of the night," had the moderators been more competent. They asked reasonable questions, but couldn't help but phrase them in ways that were either insulting or accusatory, and by the end of the night, they had virtually zero control of the thing. Here are a few examples:

Is this a comic book version of a presidential campaign? -- this would have been a killer gotcha question! Trump has made ridiculous statements and promises while managing to get away with being incredibly vague. If Harwood would have kept out the "comic book villain" line, it would have really pulled Trump's pants down, but instead, Trump got to (rightfully) turn it around on the moderator. And of course, Harwood couldn't help himself and talked about taking off by flapping arms and such. Lame.

Smart-ass comments on tiny font to Carly Fiorina

You've had a big accomplishment in the Senate, an immigration bill providing a path to citizenship the conservatives in your party hate, and even you don't support anymore. Now, you're skipping more votes than any senator to run for president. Why not slow down, get a few more things done first or least finish what you start? -- that was from Quintanilla to Rubio. What the **** -- "your big accomplishment is a bill everybody including yourself hates?" I am no professional moderator, but I could think of 10 ways of asking Rubio about missing votes and running on a real record of accomplishment without coming off as douchey as that. And again, it should be noted, while intended to be a hard question, the way it was asked once again made the debate about the moderators, and Rubio actually came out looking pretty good.

Harwood asked if Bush was having problems because the Republican party is the party of know-nothingism. Well, even if you're quoting somebody else, it's quite an assumption to make, and it puts Bush in a position of condemning his own party (can you imagine Martin O'Malley being asked if his low poll numbers were due to him being an "assertive white male" in the party of identity politickers or something along those lines?).

Becky Quick asks Fiorina about getting fired as CEO and -- I think this question was perfectly reasonable, and Quick was clever to have the retort about Tom Perkins at the ready, but given that the debate had already started to feel more like an inquisition by this time, Quick's question fed into that.

So when Quintanilla phrases another reasonable question about Cruz's temperament (which Cruz himself had already brought up as a weakness) in such a needling way as "Does your opposition to it show that you're not the kind of problem solver American voters want?" the bases were loaded and Cruz was able to knock it out of the park.

And as you may remember, Cruz is the only candidate who'd actually make me feel inspired to vote (against), so it pains me to give him any credit at all, but the guy nailed it here.

I've read several articles today on Huffington Post and other reliably pro-Democrat outlets that say the GOP candidates were just mad they finally had to answer "tough questions," but I think it kind of misses the point that a lot of the questions were crafted in a way to make the candidates look bad. That's not to say the candidates aren't bad -- they are! -- but there's a difference between simply asking hard questions and being Snarky McKnifetwister as you ask them.

I've watched debates for more than 30 years, and I've never witnessed such a pissy, agenda-driven, unprofessional stunt like that from the CNBC hacks. The moderators did not even try to hide their hatred for Republicans, and if anything, the takeaway is that the NBC family of channels cannot pretend to be populated by serious journalists, and their number one goal is to get Hillary in the White House.

They deserve a Trump/Cruz ticket to take it all in 2016.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I see what you are saying, but Trump/Cruz? Eff that. A choice between them and Hillary Clinton might possibly be the worst choice imaginable, and at the same time just might be no choice at all. I know I would probably vote libertarian or not at all in that scenario.

I've watched debates for more than 30 years, and I've never witnessed such a pissy, agenda-driven, unprofessional stunt like that from the CNBC hacks. The moderators did not even try to hide their hatred for Republicans, and if anything, the takeaway is that the NBC family of channels cannot pretend to be populated by serious journalists, and their number one goal is to get Hillary in the White House.

CNBC has become the de facto anti-Fox news. They are now as far and as sympathetic to the left, as Fox is to the right. It's been like that for a while, actually. Also, it's the parties THEMSELVES that share the blame. Like Spam points out, ever since cable news, blogs, and talk radio has segmented the market to the point where we no longer get news so much as we get opinions that people can choose to reinforce their own, both parties have basically chosen the networks friendly to them as basically extended PR machines that serve them softball questions, and attack their political rivals for them. At this point why would a candidate go on a network known to be unfriendly to them, but at the same time, maybe they should so they can be properly vetted?

I see what you are saying, but Trump/Cruz? Eff that. A choice between them and Hillary Clinton might possibly be the worst choice imaginable, and at the same time just might be no choice at all. I know I would probably vote libertarian or not at all in that scenario.

Trump/Cruz is just to finish pushing the fringe Left (ex. NBC) to the point of babbling insanity.

As if the anti-Trump forces were not self-destructive enough, i'm sure you are aware of this pro-latino immigration video--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDW1R9OmOr0

Yeah, "Deport Racism" having profanity-spewing children attacking Trump (and by association, anyone "daring" to protect the borders of the country / call for an end to illegal immigration) illustrates the best qualities of a movement already seen as having an aggressively uncivil, take-over agenda.

I would love to hear how Deport Racism thought this less than brilliant video would not send voters running in the direction of their "enemies."

No, I did not.The only difference between this and La Raza propaganda produced...forever...is the use of children in this vulgar manner. Remove that tool, and its still filled with inaccuracies attempting to re-imagine a larger problem (more than children born in the U.S. by illegal immigrant parents) by placing a mythical bow on its head while crying racism. Being from California, I know the real price of illegal immigration (nowhere to be found in that video, of course) and the ultimate smoke and mirrors of making it about Trump (like the time wasters protesting his SNL appearance) is weak as a campaign tool, and potentially revolutionary...only for those standing on the opposite side of Deport Racism.

Some are working overtime to turn Trump into the 21st century's George Wallace. For anyone actually knowing history (often violent social, politically backed racism exemplified by Wallace and others of his era) that tactic is just a dumbass move.

Sooo...you don't think Trump is a racist?

The point is, it doesn't matter. If the best you can manage as a defense against racism is vulgarities and violence, you shouldn't be involved in any debate, ever.

As much as it pains me to admit this, I agree with Justus. He has a point.

Regardless of what the message of the video is intended to be, it simply isn't very good political optics. The person that would find the video compelling was never going to vote Republican anyway. All the video does is scare away independents and moderates.

This is something that many seem to have a very difficult time understanding. Had Trump simply been laughed at or ignored in the beginning, he would've fizzled by August. The fact that his campaign has been met with borderline hysteria, the likes of which we haven't seen since the anti-Bush folks circa 2003, is one of the main reasons why Trump is the frontrunner and shows no signs of disappearing.

Sooo...you don't think Trump is a racist?

The point is, it doesn't matter. If the best you can manage as a defense against racism is vulgarities and violence, you shouldn't be involved in any debate, ever.

Well observed.

Further, Deport Racism's bigger message is not so much about the boogeyman Trump, but the fact that any part of his illegal alien statements received mass support at all--even from some who usually vote Democrat. Of course, in Deport Racism's collective mind, anyone even hinting at supporting the basic complaint issued by Trump "must" mean they are part of a clone army based on the long-dusty DNA of Nathan Bedford Forrest, nightridin' against the huddled, innocent immigrants. That is the false message behind the message. Just exactly where do they think they're going with that?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Jeb Bush would "Kill Baby Hitler?

Jesus he is stupid.

You let Baby Hitler live, change his environment and life events, make sure he has a job and keep him out of trouble.

Dude, haven't you seen The Boys from Brazil?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.