2016 GOP Candidates for President

Pong Messiah

The Washington Post just can't help itself, and has posted Who’s most likely to end up as Republicans’ nominee in 2016 presidential race.

No Mitt Romney (wheeeee!), and a few interesting names:

10. Rep. Paul Ryan (Wis.).

9. Former governor Mike Huckabee (Ark.).

8. Sen. Ted Cruz (Tex.).

7. Gov. Bobby Jindal (La.).

6. Gov. John Kasich (Ohio).

5. Gov. Scott Walker (Wis.).

4. Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.).

3. Former Florida governor Jeb Bush.

2. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

1. Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.).

Some ick there, for sure. Rand Paul has been everywhere the last few months, so I'm not surprised to see him listed so high. Kasich always surprises me, but that's because I only hear about him from Fozzie's reports on his dumbness. And it's too bad Jeb Bush can't don a lucha libre mask and run in that, because his brother's gonna weigh him down regardless of how short America's attention span is.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Really the WP is full of Sh*t on that, if you ask me. Half those guys will be eliminated easily as actual contenders. The only reason they are mentioned IMHO, is for LOLs.

I also told you, 4 years ago, that Kasich would be running for president.

The man has always had his eyes set on the big office. Which is better than quitting to be a reality show star.

Guest El Chalupacabra

What? You aren't taking an article that is a year and a half out seriously?

Mike Huckabee hasn't said anything about wanting to run for president, and I don't think he wants it. He sat out 2012.

Bobby Jindal is not electable as president.

Paul Ryan lost in 2012, didn't excite anyone.

Ted Cruz not electable: too conservative AND born in Canada.

Chris Christie is not electable: bridge scandal.

Rand Paul is not electable: too libertarian nutty.

Marco Rubio is not electable, I think he will be perceived as too bland, like Mitt Romney.

Scott Walker is not electable, too much controversy in WI.

Jeb Bush is probably the most electable out of that list, but hello, political dynasty. The Georges shoot down his chance.

Kasich is potentially electable. He won big in Ohio, has mostly stayed out of the national news and has shown that he's got some conservative chops (attempt at union busting) but isn't beholden to the extremists (Medicaid expansion). Now there are some major issues, some controversial things he's done (JobsOhio, union busting) and he wouldn't be a good president, but he's definitely got a shot.

I dunno. Pong's thread is just easier to get to?

Also Ted Cruz is BAT SHIT CRAZY. He's like a Michelle Bachmann with his sound bites of dumb. No reality check at all.

I think that the GOP has to look to a dark horse. Like Obama who was pretty much nothing before he was thrust on the stage.

Mike Huckabee hasn't said anything about wanting to run for president, and I don't think he wants it. He sat out 2012. Agreed. He seems to like being on TV a lot more than campaigning.

Bobby Jindal is not electable as president. Why?

Paul Ryan lost in 2012, didn't excite anyone. Nobody who isn't scary, anyway.

Ted Cruz not electable: too conservative AND born in Canada. Agreed he's not electable. His mom was American, though. He would most likely be fine.

Chris Christie is not electable: bridge scandal. Disagree. The reports just haven't been damning. Basically not a huge deal except to people who are firmly on the left or the far, far right -- i.e. people who would never vote for him in a general (left) or primary (right) election anyway.

Rand Paul is not electable: too libertarian nutty. Inconclusive. If you would have said this two years ago, I would have agreed. Maybe even one year ago. That dude is slippery, though. He has matured as a communicator, and is now capable of appearing to take a stand as a shadow-weasel.

Marco Rubio is not electable, I think he will be perceived as too bland, like Mitt Romney. Don't know about not electable, but I sure agree that he's barfably bland.

Scott Walker is not electable, too much controversy in WI. Honestly, I don't even know how he gets elected in his home state.

Jeb Bush is probably the most electable out of that list, but hello, political dynasty. The Georges shoot down his chance. Agreed, though I don't know how important the dynasty factor is to most voters. On a personal note, Jeb is way scarier than Dubya to me. Dubya played up his conservatism, but IMO had the intellectual and ideological heft of a Thomas Kinkade print; Jeb plays (pleas?) to moderates and "reasonable people who may disagree," but may actually be guided by some core values. Icky ones, too.

Is there something wrong about the thread I already posted on this?

http://nightly.net/topic/77290-2016-presidential-nominees-and-speculation/

Yes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.