Favorite non-traditional holiday traditions

Lace Mindu

Got some?

I loved JC and Six's nativity with all the action figures and characters, so it got me thinking about other spins on tradition.

At my place we've been doing Crazy Tree for a few years (except last year before my surgery). It's back this year and a blast to put up. Basically we decorate our front yard tree to look like snoopy's doghouse. Has to be done in the dusk/dark to see what you're doing so it's taking a few days but should be done tonight! It's taken us 3 years of sales to amass the lights but it's finally looking good.

Also my husband always gives about 5 lbs of spare change to one of my nephews. This year I'm getting him a coin counting/sorting bank...

What are you doing?

I don't know if this is non-traditional per say, but my husband and I get a Christmas ornament each year on our anniversary in October to hang on our tree. We have a journal that we record the ornament in along with the major details of our lives each year. I'm excited to have it in 50 years to look back at our life.

Also, pix plz!

When I go home for Christmas, my Mom takes me to Hooter's for Christmas Eve lunch and we sometimes go sailing after if it's nice enough.

When I lived with a man that liked me, we'd do surf and turf in front of the fire and open our gifts to each other Christmas Eve night. Christmas Eve day lunch is spent with my Seattle BFF, Jackie. We tip our wait person $100 and then we make lists and drive around looking for someone dressed as Santa in another vehicle, chase him and give him our lists. Yes, we can ALWAYS find someone dressed as Santa driving around on Christmas Eve day and no, we haven't had the police called on us yet.

On Christmas Eve, when my children are all snug in their beds dreaming of suger plums, my wife dresses up like Santa and treats me like I've been so very naughty all year.

She gives you coal?

For a few years, we somehow kept watching a longest drive golf contest on Christmas Eve. We probably still would (if its still on then) had someone in the family not thought it was a good idea to open presents during it. I'm glad we ended that tradition before it stayed too long.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.