When was the last time you watched Star Wars?

Lucas1138

Recent Viewings?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How recently have you seen one of the OT movies?

• Within the last month
    • Within the last 6 months
    • Within the last year
    • More than a year
  2. 2. How recently have you seen a PT movie?

• Within the last month
    • Within the last 6 months
    • Within the last year
    • More than a year
    • What's a PT?

So after the teaser debuted last week and all the discussion ensued, I was getting a real hankering to re-watch Star Wars. I finally started that process today. I've caught bits and pieces on TV but the last time I sat down for a (relatively) uninterrupted viewing of any of the movies that I can recall was almost 3 years ago I think. That was for Return of the Jedi. I literally don't have a clue the last time I watched the prequels.

I watched ANH and Empire earlier and am getting ready to start Jedi.

ANH holds up decently well. It is probably the one I have seen most because for a while growing up it was the only one we had a copy of. I found myself kind of going through the motions watching it, ready to move on. It's good, but it's very contained (just being on Tattooine and the Death Star) and outside of the Cantina scene it doesn't feel quite so... Star Wars'y to me. It obviously sets the table, but...

...I was astounded at how good Empire is. I mean sure it's regarded as the best and all that but I had regurgitated that viewpoint for so long without an actual viewing I kind of forgotten how true it is. It feels bigger than ANH. Maybe it's because we've seen so damn much of Tattooine at this point I'm not really impressed by that but being on Hoth, Dagobah, and seeing Cloud City made it all seem huge and like there really was an entire Star Wars galaxy out there. That's what makes the Cantina scene probably my favorite in ANH.

Assorted Musings

- My toughest adjustment to the new trilogy might just be the lack of the 20th Century Fox preamble.

- How bad is some of that added CGI in ANH? The dewbacks look awful. The entry to Mos Eisley is for the most part terrible. We should be counting our lucky stars that the Cantina scene wasn't ruined a la Lapti Nek or something similar.

- I was surprised at how often characters are onscreen with nothing being said. Maybe that's confirmation bias but I can't imagine that's the case at all in the prequels.

- Conversely, the additions in the entry to Cloud City are fantastic. They hold up really well I think.

- How did Lucas butcher so many plot points from OT to PT? How exactly is Leia a princess? "I don't seem to recall ever owning a droid." This is technically true... but, no. Obi-Wan referencing being trained by Yoda. Just to name a few.

- How does puppet Yoda look so awesome in ESB and so terrible in TPM?????? This is one of life's great mysteries, imo.

- Replacing the Emperor's hologram in ESB with McDiramid was great. Replacing him with McDiramid in horrible RotS makeup is so bad.

- Luke's "No, that's impossible" is still really silly. It's so... forced.

- The Han/Leia banter/grade school flirting on Hoth and in the space slug is better than anything in the PT between Anakin and Padme.

- The heroes don't leave Hoth until 39 minutes into the movie. But it works so well. That seems like a huge chunk of time to devote to one location but it really works well.

- Is Star Wars music the absolute greatest or what?

Other thoughts later probably.

ANH is the most futuristic, most simple of the whole saga. A whole planet gets blown up.

Last time I watched a SW movie was AOTC last night at 4am to help me fall asleep. It's a nice, sleepy movie. The sleepiest of the whole saga.

Before that I watched ANH this past summer.

I catch an OT movie a couple times a year when it's on regular tv. If a PT movie is on I'll skip it. I might watch ROTS, but usually I find something better.

I've noticed watching the PT with newbies and non-star wars fans require much more explaining to them than the OT does. The usual response to the explanations is either a confused look or a raised eyebrow. The OT makes much more logical sense to them.

Here's a fun challenge: try to explain the plot of TPM to a complete stranger to star wars and have it make sense. then try to convince him or her that, based on your explanations, that Star Wars movies are good.

Guest El Chalupacabra

For me, it used to be a lot more frequently, but in recent years, I would say I re-watch the Star Wars movies in order and in a marathon viewing taking place over a couple nights when there is nothing on TV, probably at least once in 12 to 18 months. I think the last time I viewed them was about 6-8 months ago.

What I want is the original cut's of ANH and ROTJ except with the improved digital FX of the SEs... essentially take all the Dewbacks, Mos Eisely arrival, Greedo, Jabba and dancing show tunes, Hayden Ghost out but leave the rest (improved Trench Battle visuals etc). Oh yeah, and fix the gawdam light sabers in ANH for realz this time. If I had that I'd watch them more often. Afterthought: And reset the sFX too, especially for the lightsabers.

What I want is the original cut's of ANH and ROTJ except with the improved digital FX of the SEs... essentially take all the Dewbacks, Mos Eisely arrival, Greedo, Jabba and dancing show tunes, Hayden Ghost out but leave the rest (improved Trench Battle visuals etc). Oh yeah, and fix the gawdam light sabers in ANH for realz this time. If I had that I'd watch them more often. Afterthought: And reset the sFX too, especially for the lightsabers.

In other words "I want x, y, and z but I don't want such and such." Which is what every fan wants but each laundry list is different. Which is what Lucas did with the SE. Kept what he wanted and changed what he wanted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.