When was the last time you watched Star Wars?

Lucas1138

Recent Viewings?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How recently have you seen one of the OT movies?

• Within the last month
    • Within the last 6 months
    • Within the last year
    • More than a year
  2. 2. How recently have you seen a PT movie?

• Within the last month
    • Within the last 6 months
    • Within the last year
    • More than a year
    • What's a PT?

So he changed stuff?

Still interested to see what he did, but that's not what I want done. I just want it restored and beautified (as originally intended). I don't want new stuff put in or scenes edited for various reasons. As it was, but prettier... restored. The X-Wing engines were supposed to glow? Fine. Do that. The lightsaber was supposed to be red not pink? Fine. Do that. Greedo was supposed to shoot first? Bullshit, that isn't what you filmed.

I can make a case that "as originally intended" wasn't possible because of special effects technology limitations when it was first filmed. I think the special editions are for the most part what Lucas would have done that technology then what it is now. the exception being greedo shooting first of course.

I re-watched the trilogy a week ago. ROTJ kind of hit me differently this time. I'd never realized before how much it really is just the second half of ESB. Also, my biggest problem with the film (besides all the added SE junk) had been, what I perceived, as Luke having already conquered the dark side and just kind of milling around while the rebels did their thing, and looking for a chance to possibly redeem his father. He attacks the Emperor and backs off pretty quickly. But when Vader tempts him with Leia he basically turns to the dark side, which for some reason never really registered with me before.

The real problem with the scene is that after he cuts off Vader's hand and then looks at his own; he throws his lightsaber down WAY too quickly. That scene could have been significantly more effective if they had held it for another couple seconds. The tension breaks so quickly it just gives the impression... oh, Luke is immune to this ****.

Yes, his version of A New Hope is amazing and is my preferred version. It is the one I watch when I do saga marathons. However, I disagree with some of the things he's doing with Empire.

What's he doing that you don't dig on?

Well, see, one of his prime reasons for editing A New Hope was to make it better match up with the prequels. For example, he threw in a Separatist droid inside the Jawas' sandcrawler. He also made Han shoot first again, which was cool.

He's doing lots of neat things with Empire as well, but one of the main things I disagree with is that he is restoring Boba Fett's old voice. Yes, I like the old voice better, but there was a reason why it was changed: because he is a clone. This seems counterproductive if you're trying for better continuity.

There were other, minor things that I didn't agree with when I read the list, but I can't think of them right now. One of the neatest things he's doing is making Palpatine better resemble his Return of the Jedi appearance instead of his Revenge of the Sith appearance. Check it out:

My biggest problem with ROTJ is that everything that happened between Luke, Vadar, and Palpy counted for exactly dick. The Death Star was getting blown up regardless so Palpy and Vadar were dying even if Luke was kicking it on a beach planet. (Okay, maybe Vadar lives because he'd have no reason to be on the Death Star)

It meant a lot to Luke personally but as far as the overall war, it meant nothing. There were no stakes.

I've always felt that the force controls everything. What I mean is that the personal events of the characters influence the greater events of the Galaxy. If the events in the throne room had not transpired how they did, the rebels would not have been able to blow the Death Star up. Just like although Anakin turning to the dark side played no obvious role in Palpatine becoming Emperor, if he hadn't turned Palpatine would not have become Emperor.

But Vader probably wouldn't have. Then leadership of the Galactic Empire would simply have been transferred to Emperor Vader. The coup would not have accomplished anything aside from pissing the Empire off. It definitely would not have had the same crippling effects as when both Palpatine and Vader fell.

Yes, his version of A New Hope is amazing and is my preferred version. It is the one I watch when I do saga marathons. However, I disagree with some of the things he's doing with Empire.

What's he doing that you don't dig on?

Well, see, one of his prime reasons for editing A New Hope was to make it better match up with the prequels. For example, he threw in a Separatist droid inside the Jawas' sandcrawler. He also made Han shoot first again, which was cool.

He's doing lots of neat things with Empire as well, but one of the main things I disagree with is that he is restoring Boba Fett's old voice. Yes, I like the old voice better, but there was a reason why it was changed: because he is a clone. This seems counterproductive if you're trying for better continuity.

I can see that-- but he has plans for the PT as well-- which are less special edition, but more complete re-imagining. He's mentioned getting VO work done to complete change elements of the script. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes it so the clones are not clones of Jango-- or perhaps Jango is given a more OT Boba Fett sounding voice.

I would have thought the same thing but here we are 30 years on and apparently the Empire is alive and well.

Yeah, I'm in the camp that it makes complete sense that the Empire is alive and well. Maybe things have happened to weaken it, but this was a galaxy wide institution. There were regional governors (Moffs) in control of star systems who were arms of the Emperor/Empire, it makes sense that power structure would continue, barring a well coordinated and very well equipped resistance. There might have been a power struggle between some "challengers" to the empty throne at the top, but it makes sense to me that power was eventually re-consolidated. This at least absent being given reasons that wouldn't happen. I think the EU handled the subsequent fall of the Empire and rise of the New Republic pretty well, at least from a broad strokes perspective. And the point remains that for a lot of people, it probably didn't matter who was in charge- they went about their lives all the same.

My youngest daughter and I are set for a Star Wars marathon as soon as she finishes school for the year. She is 16 and has never watched a Star Wars movie all the way through! I didn't realise this until recently. Where did I go wrong! My other 2 daughters have watched all of them. My eldest first got into Star Wars through seeing TPM in the cinema when she was 5 and my middle daughter has marathoned with friends and watched with me a number of times. We will be watching OT followed by PT. We only have Special Editions on DVD and I see no reason to drag out our old VCR to play the OT original.

• 4 weeks later...

I find myself questioning things like...

In ANH why is Princess Leia such a b*tch when Han and Luke break her out of her cell?

When Luke and the gang run into a group of stormtroopers in the hallway of the Death Star, Han shoots one of them, prompting all the rest to just run away?

In ESB, why is there only one Star Destroyer in orbit when the Rebels are escaping Hoth? And if there's only one, why the heck do they fly right at it???

Then later when the Falcon is being chased by a Star Destroyer, two others fly right at it. This isn't a freeway where they will be able to put up a road block. It's outer space. Naturally Han flies in a different direction and the Star Destroyers end up crashing into one another. What exactly were they planning to do when flying towards each other in the first place?

In ROTJ, Admiral Piett says, "It's an older code but it checks out. I was about to clear them." Ummm, what's the point of having security codes if you just allow old ones to continue to be valid?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.