newb in newbtown

Copper

Soo... I got a deal on an xbox 360 slim. I've been playing the hell out of skyrim (easy learning curve) and loving it. I also got Mass Effect 1 and 2, so I popped in ME1 the other day for a bit of a change and I was super duper overwhelmed.

There are SO MANY THINGS you are in charge of. I have a team and I choose what weapons they use? and also whether they charge ahead or stay back or rally to me or some shit?

I feel like there needs to be a tutorial portion in the beginning of this game just so I can get used to all the stuff that I'm in charge of. I really like the idea of it so far but I'm feeling too overwhelmed to even continue right now.

like I said: newb in newbtown.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Just start emailing me.

After that space opera discussion we had I was so amped to play Mass Effect again because it is a truly satisfying experience for craving great scifi story fun. I assume you saw my thread, I'm replaying it now and about done with ME2.

It is totally overwhelming at first, but you'll get used to it, I promise. ME1 is especially kind of clunky just because at this point it's old. Just get through it, 2 and 3 and much smoother, prettier and amazing. But ME1 sets up the whole story...

Here's a few things to keep in mind--

1. As you go through places look at every little box, crate, locker you can-- this is how you find a lot of gear. The inventory system is terrible (they fixed it later) and you have to stay on top of it. Always upgrade to the best options (more on this in a sec) and take the extra stuff you don't need. Little stuff you need to break down into omnigel (which you need to do all sorts of stuff), bigger gear you want to sell to the requisitions officer on your ship to make money to buy better stuff.

2. In ME1 they stupidly give every character every class of weapon, but it's really hard to be effective with unskilled weapons. From your squad page you can look at your team's skills. Not which weapon they have skill in, and during play bring up the weapon wheel to make sure everyone is selecting said weapon. Also, these are the weapons you need to upgrade, you can upgrade the unskilled ones, but it's not a huge difference.

3. UPGRADES are key to make everything a lot easier. From that squad page you can select equipment and gear-- when you select a weapon you'll see comparisons between what you're holding and what you have in your inventory. Just compare the numbers and always equip what's best. As you progress the booty you find goes up in quality and value. Something I didn't even see until my second playthrough is weapon upgrades-- you'll find lots of "mods" liked types of ammunition or weapon upgrades. You have to equip them on to your weapons in your inventory (X button). Pay attention to the details of the mods. For example, tungsten rounds are meant for synthetics, shredder rounds work better on organics. If you keep rounds handy in your inventory, once you get into a mission and see who your facing, you can switch up the ammo for the target. It's a little detail, but can make a huge difference when you can drop a target with two shots instead of ten. When you're on your ship, go to the lockers and you can quickly equip everyone ahead of a mission and make sure everyone has what they need.

4. Skills-- make sure you are upgrading your skills when you get points. You can set it to autolevel up, or you can do it yourself. I personally try to make out my primary weapon, the skill associated with my class, the Spectre skill and either charm or intimidate first. Some skills are kind of just there, others seriously effect game play. They say in their description what they do. One that is important is decryption (and/or electronics) which is what allows you to crack security on locked items. You need to get this up to find goodies. Keep in mind too that when on a mission, you have the combined skills of your whole party. So if you don't have decryption, make sure you bring along somebody who does.

5. Combat-- Another thing I didn't master until very late in the game-- powers. In combat, use powers, yours and your team mates. In the options you can set how your team reacts, whether their powers are on autopilot or if you use them. Autopilot it at first, but as you get used to it you'll want to take over. When a fight starts, hit the power wheel (which handily pauses the action) and deploy your powers. They depend on your character class, but powers can make a fight go a lot easier then running around trying to shoot people. Example, the OVERLOAD power will take down a target's shields. Some of the biotic powers have an area effect that can scatter a cluster of enemies. You have to play with them and find the right team members to take so you have a variety of things to do. When a fight starts, bring up the power wheel, select the nearest or biggest targets, unleash the powers, and follow with your character's weapon of choice. Once the powers "cool down" and are ready for use, do the same thing. Also-- get good at take cover. In ME1 that means standing behind something, in 2 and 3 you can actually run, crouch, jump, etc. Taking cover lets your shields/health regenerate. If you stand in the open and shoot you'll die fast every time.

6. Talk to any and everyone you can-- there's extra missions and quests everywhere and the more you do, the more XP you earn and the stronger your character is. On my third play through I'm still finding things I haven't done before.

7. The Paragon/renegade thing-- commit to one early on. The more you build this up, the more you get access to "locked" dialog options that make some things a little easier. It really only comes into play in a big way a few times, but they are big. If you want paragon, stick to the upper right on the dialog wheel, renegade the lower right. Once you get high enough in one, feel free to start plying with the other. People say it's hard to do both to get benefits, but it's not impossible. For example, I'm supernice to everyone save for douchebag authority figures and villains. I'm full paragon and half renegade in the last 3rd of ME2 which allows for me to have most dialog options unlocked.

I'm totally not an RPG gamer normally-- I hated Final Fantasy. Running around and levelling up for hours to play a bit of story is not my idea of fun. Mass Effect is not like that-- it's pretty organic and once you get used to it, it's not that hard.

Well, I was going to offer some advice, but judging by that block of text, I'm too late to the party! Though jumping right into the gamfaqs guide might make her even more overwhelmed. lol

What I was going to add: You don't have to micromanage your other party members. You CAN tell them to stay back, but I can't remember once I ever did that. Just let them go and they'll do the right things most of the time. Upgrade your weapons and gear when you think about it. Again, no need to go nuts with it. You can afford to be hours late doing this and not suffer too badly.

Easy rule of thumb on that, If you keep getting slaughtered(unlikely), then see if you've got any more powerful stuff.

Set it on the easiest setting there is and enjoy the story and characters. The complexity of it will wear off after the first couple of missions. (ME 2 and ME 3 are much less complicated)

THANK YOU guys! I'm going to have another go at this this afternoon. I already chose female Shepard (so weird btw, Shepard is my parents last name) and I'm going full on renegade asshole with her. It's pretty fun.

Btw, which one is the power wheel again? I don't think I've figured that out. It's not the same as the weapons wheel, is it? Anyways. I'm going to have this standing by next to me on my phone when I start playing again so I can refer back to it if I start feeling overwhelmed again.

I think after a few missions, you'll 'get it' completely. It sounds way more complicated than it really is. 2 and 3 got rid of most of the weapon/armor upgrading stuff. You have to play Mass Effect 1 for the whole context of the story and the characters. (also because it's just a great game). But 2 is where the series hits it's stride. imo.

But make no mistake the bulk of the game is not about combat but your conversations and interactions with your crew and the world around you. That's what makes these game special.

Very interested to hear your opinions and choices as you go through the games. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I haven't gotten the hang of the powers thing- do I aim before I press the RB button? because it seems to go off as soon as I choose to use a power.

You bring up the power wheel and it pauses the game action. So when that is held down and the action is paused I believe you can move over the targets if you want (It auto selects the guy you are aiming at before you press the button). Pick the guy out you want to hit and then select the power you want to use on him. You'll see a little target icon go over him. When you release the powers button, the power will immediately go off on the target you selected.

You can select a power and target for you and each of your party members.

(If I'm wrong and you can't freely change targets while the game is paused, I'm sure Driver or Torch will correct me. But I think I'm right.)

I played Mass Effect 1 last, btw. As a PS owner it wasn't available until after 2 and 3. I didn't feel robbed or slighted. Mass Effect 2 was so good in putting you into the story that I did not at all feel lost. The combat is more fun and less complicated too.

What I am saying is don't feel like you have to slog thru older gameplay in Mass Effect 1 to "get it". You can come back to it, you might want to play it all again as it is a good experience. Mass Effect 1 then becomes a Prequel for you in this scenario.

ME 2 can jump you in for sure, but I don't think it can substitute for building up your own Shepard canon with every little conversation you have. The big decisions can be made in the ME2 prologue function, but the little stuff... there's just so much of it. I've discovered something in each playthrough that's new that comes back later. This time through I drafted Wrex before Garrus, so I never met the Doctor in the lower wards. When I got to her in ME3 she introduced herself for the first time. Subtle, but cool. You don't get that skipping ME1.

I'd also use that as a reason to avoid gamefaqs or walk throughs. I consulted them on my second play through just to make sure I didn't miss some stuff (and i still did anyway). One thing that makes this game so fun to reply is that while the big plot is the same, between the optional sidequests, squad member deaths, renegade and paragon options, gender options and character class options, the smaller details and characterization of your Sheppard make for a different game each time you play it.

Something else that's important--

TALK to everyone more than once. Every few missions take a lap around the ship and talk to your squad. New dialog conversations open up after awhile. Not only does it world build, but saying the right thing unlocks special missions, gives you more rep points, and also open up the opportunity for you to have sex with a squadmate later in the game.

Thanks for posting this, April. I've been thinking about getting into the game after reading about it in the other thread.

You should absolutely jump on board.

The first time I played the series, I played ME2 first. I got it, for sure. But there were more than a few times where I thought "well clearly I would know why this is so important if I'd played ME1' lol. Just for sake of continuity it's a must play. The decisions you craft are just so great it would be a shame to not do 1/3rd of them.

April or Ryns playthroughs might end up in a totally opposite way then mine or Torchs or Drivers. Maybe they hated a squad member and didn't bother to do their personal mission? Maybe they saved a colonist in ME1 who would later turn up in ME3 to let you know how that panned out. There are just so many hundreds of choices throughout the course of three games it's ridiculous in the best possible way.

I second talking to everybody as well. Just out of habit, every time I finished a mission I would take a spin around the ship and see what everybody was up to. It might sound like a chore but it's not. It's one of the best parts of the game and you'll want to do it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.