newb in newbtown

Copper

in ME 1 the only character you can miss is either Garrus or Wrex depending on how you investigate Fist and the Shadow Broker. Whichever you meet first,, you can still find the other one lurking around and talk to them to get them on board.

ME2 is even easier-- it hands each party member to you as a mission

I PLAYED A BUNCH YESTERDAY.

I'm on Noveria going to some science station 15 or w/e and I have to take this vehicle through the snow and there are gun turrets and geth dudes behind shields and I died like four times in a row because I'm incredibly horrible at aiming the damn vehicle turret at the other turrets and I got really MAD. So I stopped playing. I had been at it for four hours though so it may have just been game fatigue idk.

I got both Garrus and Wrex though so at least I didn't fuck that up.

Did you recruit Liara yet?

Mako takes getting used to. Single Geth dudes you can totally run down. For turrets and the big guys I park sideways, turn the turret to the side and just go forward and back, shooting when it lines up. If you keep moving they'll keep missing.

It's been awhile but I think I recall that you can hop out of that silly tank. Then on foot and from a distance you can blast them that way. It's a bit cheap plus takes trial and error figuring out the distance you can be at and still target, but it made Insanity difficulty a bit easier. Well, unless I imagined doing that. I used to play ME1 when I really should have been sleeping at night.

Again if recall right, that tank can also target enemies you can't even see yet. Even from across the canyon. You just point it where you know they are and you can blast them from, well I guess, miles away. That's another trial and error thing however.

Interesting! I've never faced Benezia on Noveria without Liara along for the mission. i didn't think Liara was optional given her role, but if you can get to Noveria without her I'd be really curious who fills her role.

Another awesome example of why this is one of the few games that pitches itself on replayability, and can actually deliver on it. Every time I watch videos on Youtube i see storylines I haven't encountered.-- that;s even after my second play in which I used a walkthrough to make sure I got every mission. Goes to show there's still a ton of character stuff outside of the missions that I still haven't uncovered...

Liara and Noveria: If I recall correctly...

Essentially bringing Liara just adds to hers and Benezia's (sp?) story. It gives you a chance to use Liara to calm Benezia, which doesn't really work well no matter how you try. After the fight Liara finds some manner of peace in regards to her mother's role. This information can pop up in a minor way in later games as Liara struggles with her own self image and relating to her other parent.

When Liara isn't present it's just all business.

• 5 months later...

So I finished Mass Effect this past week.

The pro's: excellent story telling, some genuinely interesting twists and turns. I liked the way the different alien races were developed. The different bad guys were interesting, I found Saren's story pretty compelling, heck, even understandable in regards to why he changed sides. I loved the character chit chat in elevators. I liked that in the end, my choices ended up having some repercussions that I didn't really like.

The con's: the UI was really irritating. Sometimes you used Y to turn found items into gel, other times it was X. The way that you use powers by pressing the bumpers and choosing was also pretty annoying and because of that I often just brute forced my way through things with my gun rather than bother using the throw, or w/e. The Mako was really annoying. While I ended up getting much better at it by the end of the game, I never actually had any fun driving that thing around.

I found Liara, but I got her after I already killed Benezia, so that wasn't particularly helpful. Kaidan ended up dying- I was faced with a choice between him and Ashley, and I chose Ashley because she died less in combat. I also had to kill Urdnot Wrex, which was unfortunate. I liked that guy. Did you all lose characters throughout the game, or was I just bad at life?

Nah you gotta loose some. Just depends which ones based on your choices. I killed wrex too. He was an idiot. In fact most krogans are. Pretty sure I made my commander Shepard racist towards krogans after that. Every subsequent encounter with them I wound up screwing them over in Me2 and Me3

Yeah the only crew that has to die in ME1 is between Ash and Kaiden. Not being able to talk Wrex down I think means he didn't trust you so something you did along the way irked him. You are not screwed for the sequels, but Wrex is neat.

The controls become smooth in the sequels, but in ME3 the devs trolled people by flipping the buttons for Paragon and Renegade interrupts. lol

ME2 is a much more streamlined adventure, with a tremendous opening and a high octane final mission. Hopefully no one spoiled you for either, I think trailers might actually, I went in blind so the opening is one of my favorite moments in the series.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.