Ancient Egyptian ethnicity

Tex

So it looks like the new Moses movie is being slammed for casting white people to play Moses, Ramses, and pretty much everyone else. If find this to be silly, since the ancient Egyptians were likely of the same Mediterranean stock that populated Greece, Mesopotamia, etc. but apparently people are angry as hell about it.

Are supposed to believe that ancient Egypt was 100% black simply because it's in Africa?

idk about this Moses movie, but if we have a general idea of what people who lived in that part of the world looked like during the time Moses is said to have lived, it seems silly not to cast actors and actresses who fit the bill -- and lazy to cast people who definitely don't have the right features.

Some people will bitch about anything, some people will perceive anything as an injustice, but I don't think a good "wtf?" is out of order in the case of the Moses.

:shrug:

I'm sure they weren't as Anglo as Bale or Edgerton(?) but I don't think they were sub Sahara African, yet that appears to be the perception.

The bottom line is that we don't know for sure, so why are people so mad about it?

Egyptians were Caucasians, but certainly not "white" (of European descent).

That said, I wonder how many pure-blooded Egyptians are around these days? In 3000 years, Egypt has been occupied by the Sea-people, Asiatics, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Ottomans, etc.

But white people were God's chosen race, no?

Everybody is God's chosen race, according to themselves.

The bottom line is that we don't know for sure, so why are people so mad about it?

People are mad about it because petty, manufactured controversies like this attract attention, and usually an apology or two from somewhere. Because it works, basically.

People who worry or complain about this movie are pointless people. When was the last time Hollywood ever REALLY CARED about getting films historically correct? They are in the business of making money and entertainment and frankly I do not see this movie making a lot of money, but it should be entertaining because its Ridley Scott who made it. Other than that blah! I mean unless the film has Bible thumper Kirk Cameron in it as Moses the evangelical flocks are not seeing this movie. Maybe Tyler Perry should have been cast as Moses?

But white people were God's chosen race, no?

Everybody is God's chosen race, according to themselves.

People are mad about it because petty, manufactured controversies like this attract attention, and usually an apology or two from somewhere. Because it works, basically.
Not sure what you mean. People aren't mad just to get attention, they're mad because they think Hollywood is trying to whitewash history.

The more I read about this it's apparent that this has been a controversial topic for a long time. Some people actually believe that the French used the Sphinx for target practice so they could damage the nose to the point that it didn't look "black", thus allowing white people to "take credit" for Egypt. Unreal.

Then you have the King Tut DNA thing. Turns out his Y DNA may be same that dominates western Europe and people are flat out pissed about it. Egypt refused to confirm this, and it may turn out to be false, but the fact that people got so mad about it shows what a sore subject it is for a lot of people.

Personally I've never had the same fascination with Egypt that many have. Those pyramids are impressive, but ultimately they were just massive tombs built to compensate for the fact that their pharoahs weren't quite as "immortal" as they thought they were. Seems to me they could've used their resources for other things.

As for the Moses story you can't take it too seriously but I think something big happened back then with regard to the Jews. I've read that the Moses myth might be bases on a pharoah who introduced monotheism to Egypt and was ultimately demonized for it after he died. This would've forced his followers to leave town and eventually spawn the two faiths that dominate most of the world, for better or for worse.

Do you think this film will be better or worse than "Noah" starring Russel Crowe?

Funny you mentioned that. A movie like Noah with Russell Crowe bugs the crap out of me. But this new Exodus movie is fine with me. I just can't put my finger on it.

Are you not entertained?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.