Mass Effect, third playthrough

Driver

I'm pretty sure that the lockouts related directly to your paragon or renegade rating. In ME1 you can spend skill points to unlock them, but in 2 and 3 they stay locked until you hit a certain level. Not sure what though-- I was probably a quarter renegade on this play through. I never had any paragon choices locked out save for the VERY very last one at the end (which doesn't effect much),, and I had about half of the renegade choices locked out.

What I want, is storylines/missions to be unlocked and available to certain levels of paragon or renegade, and for more choices that have lasting consequences.

Saving Kaiden came out okay-- he's slightly less annoying in ME3. It was fun to basically be able to break his heart in each game though. It's like-- dude, give it up. It also confirmed my suspicion that there is an algorithm at play in the Citadel that picks your least used squad member to deliver the "I feel like I never get picked" line.

LOL. :thumbsup:

I'm about to do another playthrough of ME3 myself, having just finished ME1 and 2. When I finish Inquisition it's next in line.

I've mentioned it before, but looking forward to the next Mass Effect you have you look at what they are doing with Inquisition. You mentioned all the fun little snippets during missions depending on who you have with you and those combinations. In ME those are fantastic, in Inquisition they took that and hit it out of the ****ing park.

I've been rocking the same three party members with me and they are talking back and forth while we are wandering around. They have never once repeated anything and they've probably had 50-75 different little chats with various combination of each other and my character. And that is just three people! The combinations there are crazy huge. After I'm done on my main story missions I'm going to put in different people and just walk around aimlessly to see what they all have to say.

So if they take that for ME4 (I don't know why they wouldn't) then you'll be really happy.

^^ it's true the banter in inquisition is awesome. It's also scripted to depend entirely upon your actions and what you encounter in game. The variable comments they must've written are insane. For example if you find pages of the book Hard in Hightown strewn about the world, and Varric is in the party (he wrote the book), party members will start talking about the story and asking questions about it. You even discover that Vivienne has read the book because it was going around the chantry and everyone read it. Varric then goes on to say how he's writing a new book and Vivienne is the inspiration for one of the main characters.

They go on chatting about it for a good few minutes, and it's all because I was picking up random bits of paper in the wilderness that fill the codex. It wasn't even quest related.

Off the hook dialogue.

Sounds like there's a few things from Inquisition that are likely to be used in ME4--

-- extensive character work like you guys say

-- some people are assuming the size of the worlds means that planets will be more than a contained area with a specific checkpoint and repeated graphics. Given that they say there's more exploration involved this would make sense. Even the Hammerhead missions in ME2, especially Overlord, offered up much better landscapes.

-- In DA:I you can play elves or trolls, which certainly hints that you may be able to play one of the alien races in ME.

Also, I haven't played Inquisition, but maybe somebody can confirm-- it sounds like you can switch to different characters in your party during action. I've played as a soldier, infiltrator and an adept and each had a different style. Soldier was run and gun, Infiltrator I would hold back and snipe, adept was all about using powers and warp/detonate combos. If that gameplay could be mixed up on the fly that would be awesome. GTAV lets you switch between characters in a fight and it made for fun

You can switch to any of your 3 other party members or yourself. They all have certain styles. Like if you are normally a warrior and you switch over to the mage, you have the full arsenal of their abilities as you would your main character. You can switch at any time, in or outside of battle and your main Inquisitor will be taken over by AI and continue fighting if you switch off of them.

It's super fluid. It's up or down on the Dpad and you can micromanage all 4 if you're into that kind of thing. (I'm not)

Would be great if they took if for ME4.

I hope the missions for ME are a little less open, really. The structured feel seems to suit ME better. A bit more cinematic. If you saw just how huge some of these Inquisition areas are, you'd probably agree. lol

Dragon Age has always had the ability to play/control other party members. It wasn't used in ME because it's a traditional RPG mechanic and ME is more a 3rd Person Shooter with tons of non-combat RPG elements. The devs used to insist hard there is a difference not just in setting between games. I wouldn't get your hopes up for many similiarities in control schemes between the games, but there is a chance given the effectiveness of GTAV.

You could also choose your race in the first DA and can again. It was removed in DA2 to tell a tighter more personal tale, similar to being Shepard. In DA2 you were Hawke. Given the change it is pretty much agreed (but not cofirmed) that Bioware wanted to continue on in this focused way, even being Hawke again like Shepard. However the game wasn't recieved well and backlash seems to have forced a change closer to the varied player character choices like the first DA.

DAI map sizes are compared to MMOs, btw. Huge open expanses. ie. If you think about Tali's mission in ME3 when facing that Reaper, then in DAI you could jump down from that cliff and run up underneath it's legs where it initially stands. You could have run from the geth base to that cliff and then jumped down to stand next to the reaper even.

Yeah that was one of my few complaints about ME was how on the rails it could be at times-- it's mostly apparent in ME1, but the first time you try to go somewhere not on the level path you recognize.

A full on open world like GTAV would be awesome. I really want to jump into the fountains on the Citadel.

• 2 months later...

Okay.. 4th time... seriously, i love this game...

Trying my best to play renegade this time. It's hard for me to be a dick. Still femshep-- though this one is rough. I plan to get down with Kaiden, but still sacrifice him. I've been fighting with Ash from the start, which is hilarious.

Again amazing how such minor change in dialog make for such a different feel and story despite following the same plot.

Playing as a soldier-- and I am suprised, I know that's supposed to be the most simple playthrough, but I am finding it really hard. The simple gunfight outside Chora's den took me three tries. And I'm on my sixth attempt at fighting the Geth and Krogen battlemaster when I rescue Liara.

I don't know if I am used to my strategy involving lots of weapon/biotic combos, or if I just don't have enough of a team balance yet, or if I just need to get my hands on stronger weapons, but I keep getting my ass handed to me in fights. Super frustrating since last time I played through it wasn't too tough...

Ash is really fun to antagonize, even if you romance her. lol She's such a blatant racist in the first game, so she's an easy target.

As for soldier, I've died a number of times at that Chora's Den spot too. I think the trick is you have to use cover a lot more than other classes. You have to rely more on the weapons and the weapons just aren't that accurate or good early in the game. So cover is your pal. The sniper rifle helps to make up for the assault rifles horrendous accuracy if you can get some damage in before they get close.

Setting your squads powers to manual and using them instead of your own is also really helpful.

Yeah-- think that is definitely the case-- need stronger weapons and to use cover. Trying to favor the assault rifle, last few playthroughs regardless of class I really leaned on the sniper rifle. I do have the pinnacle station DLC which leads to a lot better weapons.. assuming I can survive it...

This is the first I'm hearing about another ME! Guess I'm behind on my gaming news.

I was never able to play as a douche, all 3 games I always went the nice guy route. First game I played as a Captain America looking dude but for 2 and 3 I played as a red-headed FemShep. Oddly enough, FemShep is usually depicted as a redhead, so I don't know if that influenced my decision or if it was just a coincidence. :|

Femshep default in ME1 was a mousey red color. When the Bioware team saw that the data mining of the players showed heavy use of Femshep over Broshep they started a marketing campaign to appease this auidence. Eventually they issued a poll with visual styles asking what players preferred as Femshep. White/Redhead won. Then with ME3 a full blitz happened involving the new official Femshep. The game shipped with an alternate cover and collectibles were produced to feature her.

I'm not surprised, Shep's character felt more like it was supposed to be a woman, which is why I swapped genders after the first.

Interestingly enough, I've also thought the same for the main character in the Saint's Row games, too. Or maybe I just found it funnier to run around blowing junk up as a pink-haired chick with dreadlock pigtails. Whichever. :p

I always play female if the option is there no matter the game. Why play the gender you are in reality just out of habbit? Plus if I'm gonna spend 40+ hours watching the back side of a 3rd person humanoid avatar infront of me I'd rather watch a woman kicking ass and taking names.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.