Pong Messiah

Once again this is the stuff I cannot stand! The media gets its slimey hands on something and stirs up a hornets nest to make money whether it is true or false or a little bit of both.

If there is "criminal" evidence to charge Cosby with then do it,if there is not then move on and dont give the "acussers" anymore attention. I do not mean to sound insensitive to anyone but we have a legal system that should be used and not a court of public opinion. Stop trying cases about people on tv.

But without social media people wouldn't be coming forward. I have a hard time buying into people claiming rape for a payout. I'm not saying it never happens-- but our culture of disbelieving a rape victim bothers me. Our legal system says innocent until proven guilty, and the burden of proof lies upon the accuser, all true.

But most of these women are not looking for money, they are trying to make the truth known. Many of them from the past DID try to speak out, and got buried. This is the upside of social media. I despise humanity and the mainstreme media in general, but this is a case where people who were snowballed had a chance to speak out and expose an ugly truth.

I'd like to know-from those of you who feel he's not guilty-what makes you think that, specifically? Like beyond 'sometimes this happens and he's a rich guy so it's possible'.

Once again this is the stuff I cannot stand! The media gets its slimey hands on something and stirs up a hornets nest to make money whether it is true or false or a little bit of both.

If there is "criminal" evidence to charge Cosby with then do it,if there is not then move on and dont give the "acussers" anymore attention. I do not mean to sound insensitive to anyone but we have a legal system that should be used and not a court of public opinion. Stop trying cases about people on tv.

Freedom of the Press, yo.

It seems that the statute of limitations has passed, so there's no criminal case possible. So I guess that means he's innocent, and the accusers should no longer care if he did rape them.

I am all for freedom of the press but irresponsible/ dishonest journalism I have never been for monkeygirl. Most of the news today has become tabloid style and smearing a persons name through the mudd is the new style of finding a person guilty without facts or real evidence known.

This is why we have morons around the U.S. right now blocking roads ,protesting and looting businesses for ignoring physical evidence which shows no bias.

As far as Mr.Cosby is concerned??? Who knows. Until he is criminally charged with something I will ignore this story.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It seems that the statute of limitations has passed, so there's no criminal case possible. So I guess that means he's innocent, and the accusers should no longer care if he did rape them.

Well, I guess the moral of the story is this: if you get raped and you want people not to be skeptical of your motives, don't wait until the statute of limitations run out, and then attempt a civil suit or sell your story to the highest paying reporter, if you want the alleged rapist to go to jail.

I'm not mocking those who get raped by any means, but really, isn't it better to go to the police when it happens, than have it happen in 1969 then come forward decades later? Better to try to put the alleged rapist in jail and fail, than wait until its too late.

If those thirteen (15? 20? what's the count up to now?) thought they could make that call, if they thought it were that easy, if they thought they'd be believed, if they thought it wouldn't destroy their careers and/or their very lives, if preserving evidence were the only requirement for arrest and conviction, if preserving evidence were just that easy (with or without modern forensics), if they weren't being intimidated into silence by American society in general and by Cosby himself in particular, if they'd known they weren't alone in what happened to them, if the psychological scars alone didn't crush them...

...then, golly, maybe telling a cop would've occurred to them.

...have you met women? I could introduce you to one or two, if you'd like.

I'm not mocking those who get raped by any means, but really, isn't it better to go to the police when it happens, than have it happen in 1969 then come forward decades later? Better to try to put the alleged rapist in jail and fail, than wait until its too late.

Yes, it is better. But it's also important to remember historical context. While it may seem like it just takes an accusation to ruin somebody nowadays, in 1969, simply letting it be known you had been raped could make you -- the victim -- a kind of pariah in some circles (nobody will ever wanna marry you, it's the kind of thing that happens to "loose women," etc.), and even bring shame onto your family. I remember one accuser saying Cosby would "destroy" her family or something. I imagine the kind of legal and media defense Cosby could hire if one of those women took him to court in the '60s or '70s literally would destroy them!

Money is still supa powerful, but culture has changed a lot in the last 50 years.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If those thirteen (15? 20? what's the count up to now?) thought they could make that call, if they thought it were that easy, if they thought they'd be believed, if they thought it wouldn't destroy their careers and/or their very lives, if preserving evidence were the only requirement for arrest and conviction, if preserving evidence were just that easy (with or without modern forensics), if they weren't being intimidated into silence by American society in general and by Cosby himself in particular, if they'd known they weren't alone in what happened to them, if the psychological scars alone didn't crush them...

...then, golly, maybe telling a cop would've occurred to them.

...have you met women? I could introduce you to one or two, if you'd like.

I don't know what the point of that personal swipe at me is, but all I am saying is that the only people who know for sure what happened, never brought it forward to the police. You don't know what happened, nor do I. But I do know that there is reasonable doubt that anything happened, and that we live in a society of law. Those laws are there to protect women from being assaulted, as well as protect people from libel and slander. Basically, you are advocating the ruination of someone, based on what amounts to legally as hearsay. Until there is better proof that Cosby actually did something, like say I don't know, a partial admission in the way MJ did (see Driver's Court of Public Opinion thread), then I can't say there isn't reasonable doubt whether Cosby did anything.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yes, it is better. But it's also important to remember historical context. While it may seem like it just takes an accusation to ruin somebody nowadays, in 1969, simply letting it be known you had been raped could make you -- the victim -- a kind of pariah in some circles (nobody will ever wanna marry you, it's the kind of thing that happens to "loose women," etc.), and even bring shame onto your family. I remember one accuser saying Cosby would "destroy" her family or something. I imagine the kind of legal and media defense Cosby could hire if one of those women took him to court in the '60s or '70s literally would destroy them!

Money is still supa powerful, but culture has changed a lot in the last 50 years.

You do make a valid point. Cosby may in fact be guilty of something, but I seriously have a problem with the fact no one even TRIED to do anything criminally.

Some people are citing the fact that 15 to 20 women are making similar accusations. The problem is you can flip that argument on its ear by asking if there were at least 15-20 alleged rapes, some occurring as recently as the last decade or so, why were no attempts to file charges ever made? Furthermore, you can also argue the flip side to the money/fame/power argument: those who have said money/fame/power are the targets of those who want payouts, or hell, just the thrill of their 15 minutes.

I'm not defending Cosby because I am a fan of Cosby. I don't think much of him as an entertainer, and I don't have any personal feeling for him or against him. I just have a problem with this Court of Public Opinion idea where all it takes is some magical number of people saying the same thing in the press or social media, so it MUST be so. There just seems to be a mob mentality about it.

I'm not defending Cosby because I am a fan of Cosby. I don't think much of him as an entertainer, and I don't have any personal feeling for him or against him. I just have a problem with this Court of Public Opinion idea where all it takes is some magical number of people saying the same thing in the press or social media, so it MUST be so. There just seems to be a mob mentality about it.

It's not just a magic number of accusers with the same story, though. It takes more than that. Hundreds and hundreds of people have similar stories about UFO abductions and hardly anybody takes them seriously. All I can say is that from what I've read (not just from accusers, but acquaintances who have stepped forward), the pieces fall into place chillingly well, and it has a classic stink of truth to it. And yes, I admit this is ultimately a feeling and I don't know for sure.

Should we all collectively hate on Cosby now and burn all his books and albums? Well, that is up to you, I guess. As long as people aren't taking the law into their own hands I'm not terribly concerned. If it turns out this is all just some giant conspiracy, yes, I'll feel terrible for Cosby, and like a dupe for judging without knowing facts, but I think the chances of that happening are very slim.

I am all for freedom of the press but irresponsible/ dishonest journalism I have never been for monkeygirl. Most of the news today has become tabloid style and smearing a persons name through the mudd is the new style of finding a person guilty without facts or real evidence known.

This is why we have morons around the U.S. right now blocking roads ,protesting and looting businesses for ignoring physical evidence which shows no bias.

As far as Mr.Cosby is concerned??? Who knows. Until he is criminally charged with something I will ignore this story.

I feel the same way-but Freedom of the Press breeds irresponsible journalism. We should each be smart enough to do our own research so we know what to believe and let the National Enquirer put out crap for the lowest common denominator. If we ask to censor them, we open a can of worms, IMO. I also feel most reports I've seen/heard/read about Cosby are simply detailing the accusations. I haven't seen any slimy reporting on it yet.

Well, I guess the moral of the story is this: if you get raped and you want people not to be skeptical of your motives, don't wait until the statute of limitations run out, and then attempt a civil suit or sell your story to the highest paying reporter, if you want the alleged rapist to go to jail.

What if you assume the rapist won't be punished -because he's such a beloved entertainer-and you will have exposed your shame to the world. Then you see 19 other women telling the same, exact story as happened to you? Do you stay silent because the statute has run out or do you add your story so at LEAST the world will know?

I seriously have a problem with the fact no one even TRIED to do anything criminally.

How do you know this to be true?

I guess that's the moral of the story. But I'll be honest, I have a hard time believing my local law enforcement is going to do more than go through the motions if I got raped, considering that the US has over 100,000 backlogged rape kits waiting to be tested. Oh, well, this article says there are over 400,000 estimated untested rape kits.

It IS the women's fault! It's their own fault for dressing like pudding pops!

And for being shamed, intimidated by a rich and power manipulator and for living in a culture that reflexively thinks they should be able to deal with rape emotionally with ease and point a finger.

Guest El Chalupacabra

What if you assume the rapist won't be punished -because he's such a beloved entertainer-and you will have exposed your shame to the world. Then you see 19 other women telling the same, exact story as happened to you? Do you stay silent because the statute has run out or do you add your story so at LEAST the world will know?

Of course this is assuming said person was in fact raped, and for whatever reason their case slipped through the cracks, then yeah, its totally understandable a person would go public with that. I am not arguing against that.

But here's the thing: what am I, as the recipient of the news supposed to do with that information? I have no way of knowing if the alleged victim had in fact been raped, or if Cosby is the victim of a frivolous lawsuit.

How do you know this to be true?

Not absolutely, but as far as I know, there hasn't been. Look, if more information comes to light, like there were in fact police reports filed and the police buried them, that totally changes the dynamic, and I would change my mind.

All I am saying is, at least with the info I have right now, there is no proof of wrongdoing. Just accusations. And for me, accusations alone, aren't enough for me to jump on board with destroying someone's reputation, if there is reasonable doubt.

I don't understand why that is such an unreasonable position to take.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.