When will the media learn?

RelentlessMalice

Before I waste any time responding in full to the above... are you even being serious, MG?

I really should have stopped reading here:

Shelby Lawson is a student at the University of Kansas, majoring in Journalism and Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Lawson posted the following to her Facebook page:

Sadly, I couldn't help myself.

You know, if you wanna tell me "Hey, I think something is fishy here -- some witnesses are saying it went down differently than how the experts/media are portraying it." Fine. I don't even have a problem if you take it further and say "Given the history here and the fact we know corruption exists, I think the police are covering for their own." Dat's cool. As long as you keep it in the realm of "this is how I feel about the situation," and don't try to pass it off as fact, I won't quibble.

But if you're going to "SHRED" something (rarrr!), it is helpful when your information isn't outdated and/or flat-out contradicted by information that is easily obtainable from court documents and reputable news sources (size difference, residue, Backstoppers claims that have been debunked even by Snopes, etc.). For anybody to take what this journalism student posted seriously, they have to be extremely low-information and/or extremely invested in clinging to a particular narrative.

:eek:

• 1 month later...

One can be both a teen and an adult. What is so confusing about this?

I think it's just the fact that when somebody says teenager most people imagine 13-15 year olds. Kids, in other words. It's the first thing I think of and I'm not alone in that. A 19yo is old enough to fight and die for his or her country. Yes, both are in their teens, but they are worlds apart in age and responsibility. It's semantics, but politics and public manipulation are all about semantics. Case in point, a law proposing to reduce the amount of a budget increase being called a "budget cut." If the budget is $100 and the original increase would make it $150 and the revised law would change that increase to $130 that's not a budget cut because the budget doesn't go below the original $100. But political detractors would call it a budget cut to scare voters.

This kind of semantic manipulation happens all the time and always has at its root some grain of truth to keep it from being tarred an outright lie.

So, back to the teenager question. If you want to protect the victim, you call him a teenager to invoke sympathy. If you want to minimize sympathy you call him a man or adult. Depends on your goal.

If a budget increase is less than inflation, it is nothing but a budget cut. If an individual has the syllable "teen" in his or her age, he or she is a teenager.

And the media won't learn unless some positive reinforcement is used. Clicker training would probably work well. I bet we could get the media to shake hands on demand in a few days, maybe a week, if we all put some time into training it as a team.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If a budget increase is less than inflation, it is nothing but a budget cut. If an individual has the syllable "teen" in his or her age, he or she is a teenager.

And the media won't learn unless some positive reinforcement is used. Clicker training would probably work well. I bet we could get the media to shake hands on demand in a few days, maybe a week, if we all put some time into training it as a team.

Good evening. This is Brian Williams. If you approve of the word teen to describe 19 year old Michael Brown, text yes to 397533.

Eh, I get what you are saying, and that is actually a pretty insightful idea, but I want my news media to be more professional than that. That is too American Idol-ish.

Besides, I think there is some validation to the argument that the news media DOES want the controversy, because it sells headlines and produces ratings. So clicker training would only work if the news media was interested in fixing the problem, in the first place. Most people who read or watch the news aren't as deep thinking as you, or many of us posting in this thread, but rather are like sponges and just accepting the news at face value.

Seriously, the rioters were operating on 100% emotion, had their minds made up no matter what facts one could present them, and had zero interest in educating themselves. I think there was even a certain percentage of them that didn't care what they were rioting over, just as long as they could say they belong to "something," while others just wanted free stuff. Which is fine with the news media because that sells, too. Like the old saying, if it bleeds, it leads.

I didn't do anything but read the thing-so I'm not vouching for its credibility

With all the idiot memes out there, or crap journalism that gets reposted I truly think it is irresponsible to spread any news without a least a cursory review.

I am soooo glad I never saw this thread. I work this area for frito lay, and two of my grocery stores were heavily affected with this mess. I'm thrilled everything is back to normal. What I'm really disappointed in, is how many people just assume Ferguson is a thug/hood/shitty town. And that's soooo far from the truth.

What I'm really disappointed in, is how many people just assume Ferguson is a thug/hood/****ty town. And that's soooo far from the truth.

Sorry, but we saw it on TV. And all towns have exactly one defining characteristic, much like the environment of Tatooine.

No. What you saw were people from outside of the Ferguson area come in and start shit. I live in stl. I've worked in the Ferguson area the last 2 years, and what you saw on tv is not what represents Ferguson on a day to day basis. But hey, go ahead and eat what the media feeds you.

No. What you saw were people from outside of the Ferguson area come in and start ****. I live in stl. I've worked in the Ferguson area the last 2 years, and what you saw on tv is not what represents Ferguson on a day to day basis. But hey, go ahead and eat what the media feeds you.

David, come on. It was a Star Wars joke. I have never been to Ferguson, and before the apparently off-key Tatooine comment, have never claimed to know what it is like.

I'd like to think I'm smarter than to act like I know how a town "is" better than somebody who actually lives there.

:eek:

Which is why the ignorant should never be given 5 seconds of air time on tv, yet they are given attention and time.

This whole cliche about "lets open up dialog for a conversation" is BS. Why would I or any other "law abiding" citizen want to have a discussion with ignorant people who will not even accept facts such as physical evidence, but instead play the race card and jump to a conclusion that Brown was killed because he was black. If you cannot accept the grand juries decision then that means you do not agree with the 5th amendment to the U.S. Constitution and that is un-American.

I will not give ignorant fools the time of day. Never have and never will.

No. What you saw were people from outside of the Ferguson area come in and start ****. I live in stl. I've worked in the Ferguson area the last 2 years, and what you saw on tv is not what represents Ferguson on a day to day basis. But hey, go ahead and eat what the media feeds you.

David, come on. It was a Star Wars joke. I have never been to Ferguson, and before the apparently off-key Tatooine comment, have never claimed to know what it is like.I'd like to think I'm smarter than to act like I know how a town "is" better than somebody who actually lives there. :eek:

I suck at finding sarcasm and jokes in posts sometimes.

This is why I avoid the lyceum. It's such a serious place until it's not. Back to avoiding the lyceum.

I didn't do anything but read the thing-so I'm not vouching for its credibility

With all the idiot memes out there, or crap journalism that gets reposted I truly think it is irresponsible to spread any news without a least a cursory review.

I DID do 'at least a cursory review'. I read the whole thing. I'd seen other, credible mentions of some of the things she included and posted hers because it was the shortest.

So I don't transgress here again, now we have to be able to agree with a vet HOW much of anything we link to here?

I suck at finding sarcasm and jokes in posts sometimes.

This is why I avoid the lyceum. It's such a serious place until it's not. Back to avoiding the lyceum.

Not sure you suck at finding sarcasm and jokes; the Tatooine thing wasn't exactly A+ work by me. Sorry if it made you feel unwelcome, as that was not my intention.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.