When will the media learn?

RelentlessMalice

Carrie is like the one or two students I have each year in my classes who exhibit the following character traits.

1. Stuck up

2. Full of themselves

3. They think they are smarter and better than anyone else.

4. They do not have friends because no one can stand the way they act.

5. They think they are always right.

Reasons for these traits.

1. Apple doesnt fall far from the tree. The parents are the same.

2. They are spoiled because the parents think they are gods gift to the world.

3. They enable them.

Remedy for this type of student.

Ignore them,document behavior, hope another student doesnt beat the crap out of this student in class. Sit the student in the front and give them an alternative assignment because the one for everyone else is below them.

Sit back and wait for the student to get put into their place by other students who eventually will take care of them by the third or fourth nine weeks.

That ladies and gentlemen is what Carrie most likely was like in school. The only other people who act this way other than 12 to 16 year old students are losers on an internet who know they are safe and sound.

Semi off topic:

Why is being a know-it-all a bad thing? Do we really, as a society, have disdain for those who essentially know more than we do? Why is that? Or is it just the manner in which they present the information they know? Or is it just that people do not like having it pointed out to them when they're wrong?

That's probably mostly true, but I can tell you from experience that I've been called a know-it-all for pointing out someone else's error, and I was genuinely just trying to right a wrong. I've also been called a know-it-all for spouting out random facts about a subject because I found them interesting and thought others would as well.

Carrie is like the one or two students I have each year in my classes who exhibit the following character traits.

1. Stuck up

2. Full of themselves

3. They think they are smarter and better than anyone else.

4. They do not have friends because no one can stand the way they act.

5. They think they are always right.

Reasons for these traits.

1. Apple doesnt fall far from the tree. The parents are the same.

2. They are spoiled because the parents think they are gods gift to the world.

3. They enable them.

Remedy for this type of student.

Ignore them,document behavior, hope another student doesnt beat the crap out of this student in class. Sit the student in the front and give them an alternative assignment because the one for everyone else is below them.

Sit back and wait for the student to get put into their place by other students who eventually will take care of them by the third or fourth nine weeks.

That ladies and gentlemen is what Carrie most likely was like in school. The only other people who act this way other than 12 to 16 year old students are losers on an internet who know they are safe and sound.

You just really hit upon a sour spot with me here. Are these students you describe actually smarter than everyone else or do they just think they are? Please do not refer to any grades they may have received in your answer. Do they deserve an alternate assignment? Was the original assignment too easy for them?

That's probably mostly true, but I can tell you from experience that I've been called a know-it-all for pointing out someone else's error, and I was genuinely just trying to right a wrong. I've also been called a know-it-all for spouting out random facts about a subject because I found them interesting and thought others would as well.

As long as you aren't being a jerk about it, people should be glad you are giving them a chance to do things in a superior manner. As for random facts, some people just get annoyed by that regardless, but it's still more their problem than yours, IMO.

Oh they are very smart and are usually very good readers,good at math and music. There standardized test scores show this, my unit assessments show this. They are labeled gifted yet the parents milk the system by putting them on a 504 plan even though they do not need it.

They verbally bully students in class telling others they are wrong. They do not abide by class rules and the alternative assignment is more challenging to keep that student thinking or partnering with me because he or she will not work with others and most students do not want to work with them. They lack proper social skills.

Before you ask they do not fall within the spectrum of autism.

They just think they are better than others which they may be academically but socially they have an elitist attitude and will never say they are wrong.

They are rare but I always get one or two a year. You cannot correct their behavior in class or take them outside to talk with them personally. If it gets bad enough they get a cool off time.

Does that make any sense? The student failed to be properly socialized at an early age and were probably sheltered.

IMO, this is the core of the problem:

it's because ... cops decided to treat peaceful protesters like they were military insurgents.

And IMO, the Brown case is primarily this and very closely secondary is racial tension. Probably some classic class struggle, too. It's a multi-layered, big ball of wibbly wobbly, racey, macey...stuff.

I heard some stats on local radio today about how many people were interviewed and such, by the Grand Jury. I need to verify that before I go on, but it was an impressive-sounding amount of investigation.

But no doubt in my mind that the militarization of local police forces isn't making anything better.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Is it possible for everyone to be right in this conversation?

*goes back to eating popcorn*

No!

Besides, that's not any fun, anyway.

it's because ... cops decided to treat peaceful protesters like they were military insurgents.

And IMO, the Brown case is primarily this and very closely secondary is racial tension. Probably some classic class struggle, too. It's a multi-layered, big ball of wibbly wobbly, racey, macey...stuff.

I heard some stats on local radio today about how many people were interviewed and such, by the Grand Jury. I need to verify that before I go on, but it was an impressive-sounding amount of investigation.

But no doubt in my mind that the militarization of local police forces isn't making anything better.

This conservative writer talked about the "troubling militarization" of the police and got blasted by his own readers:

http://thefederalist.com/2014/11/25/sorry-but-the-ferguson-grand-jury-got-it-right/

Oh they are very smart and are usually very good readers,good at math and music. There standardized test scores show this, my unit assessments show this. They are labeled gifted yet the parents milk the system by putting them on a 504 plan even though they do not need it.

They verbally bully students in class telling others they are wrong. They do not abide by class rules and the alternative assignment is more challenging to keep that student thinking or partnering with me because he or she will not work with others and most students do not want to work with them. They lack proper social skills.

Before you ask they do not fall within the spectrum of autism.

They just think they are better than others which they may be academically but socially they have an elitist attitude and will never say they are wrong.

They are rare but I always get one or two a year. You cannot correct their behavior in class or take them outside to talk with them personally. If it gets bad enough they get a cool off time.

Does that make any sense? The student failed to be properly socialized at an early age and were probably sheltered.

It does make sense, but (and I mean this in the least know-it-all way possible) you're wrong about these kids.

Giftedness is a different form of special needs, and it's good that your district recognizes this enough to at least put them on a plan. Gifted children are not like typical children, obviously. Their social and emotional needs are different, and they cannot be handled the same as typical children and be expected to thrive. Of course they lack "proper" social skills. Their brains are wired completely differently, even if they aren't on the spectrum many of the traits are the same regardless. Gifted children/people do not experience the world the same as everybody else. Just as those severely retarded (or whatever the PC term is these days) don't.

Please, please do some research about the needs of gifted children. As an educator I hope you understand the importance of not marginalizing these children or falling prey to the many misconceptions about giftedness. Being "gifted" is about much more than just being smart or bright or talented. There are many other traits that separate them from typically bright children. I promise you, I'm not trying to put you down in anyway. I know you genuinely care about your job (your real job of actually educating children, not just the nonsense they're making you do), but I know that gifted education is just barely becoming anything closely resembling a priority, and many, many educators and administrators are still very much in the dark about what giftedness really is and what it means. Mostly because it's never been important, so very few have been required to take more than a class about it. And also because the term "gifted" is so loaded and offputting.

I also recommend reading the book The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz because so many of these sensory dysfunctions apply to gifted children, and also Living with Intensity.

Or just looking through the many resources on the following pages:

Hoagie's Gifted Education Page

Supporting the Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG)

National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)

There are also a lot of really good blogs from parents, mental health professionals, and educators about giftedness.

Here is one of my favorites, but it's written for gifted adults and not about gifted children. But the latest blog post is about this very subject. http://rainforestmind.wordpress.com/

I am not marginalizing them at all. Thanks for the advice but I think I was trying to talk about an oranges and you are talking about apples.

My original description from the post was a description of a class bully who puts down and demeans other students because they think they know it all.

You are talking more about gifted program children who are socially and emotionally troubled. This is not who I was describing.

Hold up I know where I screwed up here. You asked was the student really smart or do they think they are. I am sorry I responded incorrectly here. The students I was describing THINK they know it all but doesnt and bullies other kids in class.

Sorry for the confusion. I am still getting over the damn flu. In fact I will admit that upon looking at what I wrote today was not right and I take it all back. I am going back to bed where I belong.

As much as Carrie is a douche I am just tired.

And IMO, the Brown case is primarily this and very closely secondary is racial tension. Probably some classic class struggle, too. It's a multi-layered, big ball of wibbly wobbly, racey, macey...stuff.I heard some stats on local radio today about how many people were interviewed and such, by the Grand Jury. I need to verify that before I go on, but it was an impressive-sounding amount of investigation.But no doubt in my mind that the militarization of local police forces isn't making anything better.

I disagree. I think having a strong police presence was appropriate given the likelihood of riots.

Okay I have something to say.

I have used this lesson with my students when I have had conflicts in the past and I should have thought about it before speaking negative about things. So here it is.

Take a piece of painters tape and put it across the table. Then get a travel size toothpaste and put it along the tape and get it all out. If you do not have tape just use a plate.

The tootpaste symbolizes negative things,making fun of people,putting them down,degrading them etc...

Now try without tampering the tootpaste container to put all the toothpaste back in the container.

Well you cant.

Its easy to be negative and make fun of people but its hard to take it back.

Moral of this is I forgot this lesson on here lately and I apologize to anyone I have offended. Carrie,Pong,Cerina etc...

It seems that the kid was a bully who picked on the wrong person (a cop). Ferguson almost assuredly has justified grievances against the police, but the cop seemed to act justifiably. So, in that vein, I get their rage. I also understand why the cop wasn't indicted, but this goes beyond the shooting incident.

SAME.

Bottom line is keep yer trap shut unless you're ASKED. I cannot do this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.