When will the media learn?

RelentlessMalice

I didn't say you shouldn't be, I said you were a phony.

I got that but it would still be nice to know.

Well then you'll have to ask someone else because I don't hold the opinion that you shouldn't be. By all means, please do so.

I do however, hold the opinion that you are fake. If you'd like to know more about that, I'd be happy to go on.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It would be interesting to see how often "teen" vs. "man" is used for 18-19 year olds depending on the circumstance. i.e. would "man" be used more often when describing somebody who robs a convenience store; would "teen" be used more often to describe the employee who was working behind the counter when the crime was perpetrated?

idk

Regardless, on this particular issue, I'm sure Krawlie is correct and RM incorrect. Would still be interesting to find out if there is any difference in the general usage of words, tho.

Using the term of "teen" on Brown is correct, so I agree with you and Krawlie.

However, I think it can be argued that even if he is legally a man, a young man who is 18 or 19 is still considered by maybe anyone over 21, but certainly over 30, a "kid." Just because someone crosses the magical age of 18 doesn't mean they automatically think or act as an adult. In fact in this day and age, at least in developed countries, "kids" that are of the age of 18-19 have been largely infantalized by society. In the US in particular, some states don't allow "kids" to own guns until 21, or drink alcohol. So, the age of 18-21, particularly 18-19, is still somewhat of a limbo state. So, I think the Press is simply reflecting that sentiment. That is the optimistic view, anyway.

The pessimistic view, of course, is that the Press is basically calling Brown a teen because he is a teen of color, shot by a white cop, and is at least initially described as a victim since he was unarmed, and this makes (and sells) the headlines. It later came out the cop had his eye socket broken by this 6'4" 300 LB "gentle giant," and the shooting may have an argument for being justified, after all. So, I think it is a legitimate question to ask, had Brown not been killed and simply arrested for strong arm robbery, would he have been described as a "man" or a "teen," then? Probably as a man, I am guessing. Or, even more pessimistically, what if the cop was a minority or a woman? Would the shooting have have been deemed justified, then? And if so, would Brown still have been described as a teen? I don't know the answer to that, but it is a relevant question to ask.

The kid was a gentle giant. They've got baby pictures of him and stuff. When he wasn't busy attacking cops he was a solid dude (I think?).

Cute teenager who in no way was going to wind up in prison someday. RIP. Riots in progress.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Folks do I need to list the rights you gain when you turn 18 in the United States?

The media makes Brown out to be an "unarmed teen" which shouldnt matter. Why cant they simply say "The case in Ferguson with the death of Michael Brown"

Clearly not in my case, if you bothered to read my post.

On a side note I said Brown was 19 earlier. That was wrong,he was 18.

Another example that I can use legally was remember back in 2004 or 05 when the Supreme Court ruled that violent offenders who committed their crimes before the age of 18 would have their death sentences comutted to life because the court understood the difference between a minor and an adult.

El I read your post.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't think anyone is disputing the guy was legally an adult, RM.

You asked the question why the media insists on calling Brown a Teen. I gave you an answer.

18 = legal to buy cigarettes.

It's a fine line. Man, I'd hate to teach in high school in my school district. I have a friend who teaches at a middle school and she had cops come into her classroom and search a kid. The mom was all screaming "YOU CAN'T DO THAT! YOU DON'T HAVE MY PERMISSION!" But they were looking for weapons and the school has to look at 600 kids or this one kids rights... It's different in inner city schools. Let me tell you.

Right I understand that El, but "legally" is what I am pointing out, not language,math etc...

I am just so tired of the media doing this. All they do is add fuel to a fire that should have never been started. Yes I know by creating a thread about this topic I am adding fuel to that fire.

I just so sorry for people who live around the area who just want to live in peace and not worry about uneducated goons destroying property.

The media has created a race bait here and it needs to stop.

PS I totally am not really adding to this conversation but the dude was on his way to a criminal career anyways. While the force used to "subdue" him later by the police was more than necessary I do not think much about Brown's death. Saved the tax payers some money.

I do find all this protesting really funny in that these people should follow Dr King's example of non-violence and not Malcolm X's standards because it does not further their cause of getting white policemen to protect and value the people of a predominantly black 'hood enough to take them seriously and change any circumstances.

Also, I have learned that responding on a cell phone is not fun. I suck at keyboards on tiny things.

It later came out the cop had his eye socket broken by this 6'4" 300 LB "gentle giant," and the shooting may have an argument for being justified, after all.

I wasn't kidding a month or so ago when I said I couldn't deal with following this story. Did not know the above happened. Are you going to force me to read and stuff?

:no:

Spam does the mom know the 4th amendment doesnt apply to schools? All the school needs is reason of suspicion? Just like the 2nd amendment doesnt apply to schools either.

Yeah. Probably not but this teachers whole class went ape shit because it was done right there in the classroom. Every single student reacted like the mother and no further lesson was had that day except to show those paying attention that lower poverty class people learn from what they've been taught by their parents example and to hell with actual knowledge. My teacher friend is trying to become a principal so she was really pissed at the PDs that handled it - it was the XXISD cop and two San Antonio Policemen and no administration that came straight into her class. (xx is for the letters of my school district stricken out for privacy reasons but you can probably guess...)

Guest El Chalupacabra

Right I understand that El, but "legally" is what I am pointing out, not language,math etc...

Well, I don't know exactly what your issue is "legally." Are you talking about Brown? The guy is dead. He can't be arrested now.

Are you referring to the cop? Well, that is what the hearing is all about: did he have a legal right to shoot Brown, no?

I don't see how the legal process has failed, at this point. Actually, until the result is announced, it's still in the process, right?

I am just so tired of the media doing this. All they do is add fuel to a fire that should have never been started. Yes I know by creating a thread about this topic I am adding fuel to that fire.

I just so sorry for people who live around the area who just want to live in peace and not worry about uneducated goons destroying property.

Well, how is this anything new? That has been like that since at least the OJ trial, and really I think it can be argued since time immemorial.

I think the question you had better ask is "how does this affect me directly, and how can I make it not affect me directly," because that is the only thing you can control. If it doesn't affect you directly, it really is irrelevant to your life, and you need to learn to ignore it. Otherwise you are going to drive yourself bonkers.

The media has no duty to use "adult" versus "teen" when technically he is both. Their only job is to make money, and racier headlines make more money.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Sorry man, the last I heard it was broken.

If its any consolation, a cop did get his ass kicked, regardless. I am sure that makes the hate for cops you have in your heart burn a little brighter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.