Tossing the Salad

RamonAtila

In my youth, at home we sometimes served a small salad at the end. When I got older and found out the rest of the world has salad first, that took a while to wrap my head around.

Nowadays, if I'm having salad, I prefer to get to it while the refrigerated ingredients are still crisp and freshly out of the fridge. Let it sit for too long and it turns to meh.

I find tossing a salad is largely a matter of preference as to what type of dressing you prefer. Pre-game you sort of get your choice. If you do it post-entree, you are sort of forced to have a creamy, Ranch-like dressing oozed over that salad-- no other way around it.

99% of people eat salad as an entrée. But I prefer to eat salad after my meat because the lettuce raps around the other food and helps me digest. It's just...better.

Your views?

Wait... Do you swallow your lettuce whole? How does it wrap around the food. Maybe I shouldn't be talking about masticated food. Nevermind.

I like salad with meat as a full meal. For example, lettuce and diced grilled chicken with red onions and bell peppers and tomato with dressing are good. But if salad is served as a course I'm forced into eating the salad first because that's how they know when to serve the next course. At home salad as a side is eaten last because salad is cold and will keep but hot food is better hot.

I'm not a vegetable or a salad person. I wish I was, because I eat way too many carbs with only rice and potatoes as side dish options. I've tried, but I can't get over the texture of salad and I've never been able to stand eating vegetables on their own unless they're stir-fried and covered with garlic butter and sauces. Yes, I have the palate of a five-year-old. But I've gotten a lot better as I've gotten older!

I hate spinach and collard greens. Cooked or uncooked. Beets are also kind of a yucky thing for me unless super cold. But the WORST vegetable ever is sweet potatoes. GUH.

Also guys I am at work but cannot focus. It's teacher work day and I'm supposed to be working on stuff related to the teaching of students but meh. I'm looking for recipes for green beans.

I actually really like vegetables, now that my husband buys fresh and not canned like my parents always used to have. It's like they wanted me to hate veggies. WTF.

I hate spinach and collard greens. Cooked or uncooked. Beets are also kind of a yucky thing for me unless super cold. But the WORST vegetable ever is sweet potatoes. GUH.

Hate uncooked spinach. But sweet potatoes? Get out, woman!

yeah i'd rather have a bowl of sliced cucumbers and tomatoes than in a salad

Throw some feta in there, and you have a Real Greek salad. NOM.

I eat way more veggies as adults than I ever did as a child. I think a lot of it has to do with them not being canned. But also, my son is practically a vegetarian. He's actually started asserting his vegetarianism at restaurants lately by ordering just the sides he wants and no "main course"/meat. He will eat some chicken and occasionally meatballs. But that's really it. My husband hates it. Just absolutely HATES it. We have salad with dinner about once or twice a week.

My mother only at at restaurants and my dad didn't eat. My grandmother's fed, and both were 50s housewives so even the veggies were generally cooked to oblivion or drown in something that would eliminate all nutritional properties.

In high school or cafeteria offered veggies, but no one at the,. My entire senior year I think my lunch was either nachos or one o those those barely cooked giant cookies that came on a sheet of wax paper.

i didn't really discover or appreciate veggies until I got married and the former Mrs. Tank and I got tired of eating all our meals from boxes. This was also the beginning of the "foodie" era where veggies done up fancy suddenly started happening everywhere.

I'd say now pretty much every meal I have is half fruit or veggies.

Guest El Chalupacabra

F*ck iceberg lettuce. Spinach and romaine lettuce is where it's at.

Different leaves for different salads.

As long as it's fresh, I don't care. Slimy salad is grosssssssss omg

Yeah, but iceberg lettuce is for livestock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.