food for thought to stores everywhere.

RelentlessMalice

I used to dread those people when I worked checkout in high school. I was pretty good at fast checkout though. I also was like, "Here! Gimme those coupons!" and I would grab 'em and start going through "EXPIRED, WRONG PRODUCT, WRONG SIZE, WE DON'T CARRY THAT, EXPIRED, YOU HAVE TO GET TWO!" and so forth literally throwing them around the conveyor belt like leaves. People would avoid my line. Clearly in high school I had no concept of customer service. I was just trying to be cool for the deli guy trying to get his frozen dinner for break behind that lady because he was HAWT.

You looking forward to next week, RM?

I use coupons occasionally but I'm always sure they work and I read them carefully. Mostly I am in love with Target's Cartwheel app. I've saved $50 this year! I have friends who are really good at couponing but I don't want my garage full of 20 bottles of shampoo. I'm particular about products so I don't necessarily buy something just because it's cheap.

I would work with the couponers. Certain times on certain days so typical customers could get a chance to buy throughout the week. There's always someone new to the process so there's a lot of education, and then I would refer her to veterans and their groups.

The legit savers are the relationships you want to build and they get it and appreciate it. I had customers come from other stores because we were that helpful. (I even helped proofread one's book to review companies' policies. Unfortunately it didn't get beyond that early stage. It was a really good start.)

The abusers (they're usually the loud ones not getting their way) are easy to turn off as long as your message and process is consistent.

If it's a problem where you shop, it can't hurt to bring a suggestion to the store manager or owner.

We use coupons occasionally for foods we already buy regularly, but we don't let the coupons write our grocery list for us.

I don't mind when other people use stacks of 'em. What kills me are the obsessive price-matchers. I don't get people who come to Walmart and demand to pay Meijer prices for them. And the Meijer is THREE MINUTES AWAY. Whatever minutes you saved by making one stop instead of two, you wasted on making the cashier take ten minutes to ring you up instead of three.

• 4 weeks later...

One store I used to shop at did away with coupons all together and said to get discounts you just had to have a clubcard which was free anyway, lol. I thought it was a good decision. Think it was Albertsons, I haven't been to one in years, don't know how that worked out for them.

I rarely use coupons because I always forget that I have them in my purse. By the time I remember, they've expired. My mother used to save them like crazy, though. She'd go through the Sunday paper store supplements and cut out coupons. She had a coupon folder thing, with slots for different categories, and had them organized by aisle. I know I could save a lot of money by doing that, but I just can't be bothered to carry around a bunch of paper. Plus, the stores are always competing with each other by having sales all the time, so if you shop for sale items whenever possible, you'll do pretty good.

Okay. So today I went to the Target on Austin Highway because it is on the way to school and I thought they'd be open at 7 AM. Nope. Open at 8 AM. WTF? Target? Don't you know Christmas is happening? Instead I had to stop at Central Market and look around for a secret santa gift. Sigh.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.