"Feminist" topping TIME's "Which Word Should Be Banned in 2015?" list!

Pong Messiah

Holy mac and little smokeys, it isn't even close:

15163386823_1887b0c967.jpg

And as you can expect, some folks are losing their **** over it, and people are talking about TIME for the first time since they named Bush "Person of the Year" (that was way back in 2004, if you don't recall).

I personally think toothless "banned word lists" are lazy and stupid, and find real censorship downright nauseating. The reactions have been interesting, however, and I wonder how gamed "Feminist" has been in the poll, and how much its success is based on real annoyance/exhaustion/whatever with the word (i.e. I am not at all surprised it is winning, but the margin seems a bit shenaniganny).

A bigger scandal : "literally" is back again in contention this year even though it lost hands down to "YOLO" two years ago (coming in a very distant second at 8.96% of the vote; barely beating "fiscal cliff", "cray", and "amazeballs") and as near as I can tell no other word that's survived banishment one year has been reused in subsequent years.

This is unacceptable. I am hereby publicly rejecting my 2006 Time Person of the Year award and I encourage all other recipients to do the same until or unless the word "literally" is pulled from this year's list and replaced with an appropriate substitute. Suggestions : "IAWTC", "GPOY", "SMH", "feminism", "ICYMI", and of course "♫ TOO MANY COOKS ♫ TOO MANY COOKS ♫ TOO MANY COOKS".

Oh sweet Jesus:

TIME apologizes for the execution of this poll; the word ‘feminist’ should not have been included in a list of words to ban. While we meant to invite debate about some ways the word was used this year, that nuance was lost, and we regret that its inclusion has become a distraction from the important debate over equality and justice.

"The nuance was lost." "Become a distraction from the important debate over equality and justice"

:lol:

Yeah, I'm sure that was it. Ah well. The ballot stuffery and Twitter-shriekery was fun while it lasted.

Wait. They're not even going to replace it with a different word now? So this year there'll only be 14 contenders? IT'S LIKE THESE POLLS DON'T EVEN MATTER ANYMORE!

"♫ TOO MANY COOKS ♫ TOO MANY COOKS ♫ TOO MANY COOKS".

It's been around, like, literally a week. At least let it live a second week before we declare it over.

I don't think I can take it that long. The song won't leave my head. I've tried to get it out of there with something catchier but all my usual go-to's ("Lowrider", "Hey Mickey You So Fine!", "I's The B'y", "Short Shorts", "Temperature") have failed.

"The nuance was lost." "Become a distraction from the important debate over equality and justice"

:lol:

Yeah, I'm sure that was it.

Ha ha ha - If this 'Nancy Gibbs' lived in Oceana, she'd put Winston Smith out of a job. I wonder if the writers for Pravda ever wrote such tripe to maintain party orthodoxy and loyalty?

All I can say is 70% of my newsfeed on facebook is about feminism. What the hell is going on?

Conservative old white dudes are making one big last power-play in politics before they thankfully all die out.

Old conservative white dudes are not the only group sick of the modern day face of feminism.

All I can say is 70% of my newsfeed on facebook is about feminism. What the hell is going on?

Conservative old white dudes are making one big last power-play in politics before they thankfully all die out.

Old conservative white dudes are not the only group sick of the modern day face of feminism.

I'm struggling to think of somebody known for being sick of the modern day face of feminism who isn't also at least one of those four things and drawing a blank.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.