Jaxxon is.... back?

Doze

STAR WARS #1 PARTY VARIANT WITH JAXXON – EXCLUSIVE!

This January, the iconic Star Wars franchise returns to the House of Ideas in grand fashion with the first can’t-miss ongoing series kicking off in Star Wars#1! Today, Marvel Entertainment and Lucasfilm are extremely proud to unveil artist John Tyler Christopher’s Star Wars #1 Party Variant — featuring the return of Jaxxon! Only available at Star Wars #1 Launch Parties, don’t miss your chance to get your hands on this one-of-a-kind variant cover to one of the biggest issues of the year!

“We couldn’t be happier to have Star Wars comics back at Marvel,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Star Wars has always been an important part of Marvel’s history and we knew we wanted to honor that legacy with a callback to the original Marvel Comics Star Wars series. We think old and new fans alike will be just as excited as we are to see Jaxxon, even if it’s only for this fun variant cover.”

From the star studded creative team of writer Jason Aaron, artist John Cassaday, and colorist Laura Martin comes a brand-new series spotlighting beloved characters from the original trilogy. Taking place immediately after the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, follow the continued adventures of Luke, Han, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, and more as the growing Rebel Alliance battles for freedom against the Imperial Forces of the Galactic Empire!

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

From: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-1-party-variant-with-jaxxon-exclusive

• 1 month later...

Truth. Dark Horse did some cool stuff -- Quinlan Vos, Tag and Bink, John Jackson Miller's KOTOR (especially when Dustin Weaver was on art duties) -- but they cranked out a lot of drab mediocrity, too.

I don't mind variants.

Die-cut, foil, holographic, ashcan, etc. are the gimmicks that helped kill collecting for me.

I don't mind variants if they're racked with the regular edition and priced equally, but I won't pay extra and I won't go hunting for them. The tail doesn't get to wag the dog even if it's the most well-groomed part.

Are you people freaking kidding me? Dark Horse killed it with Star Wars. There's some mediocrity, yes, but they truly defined the Star Wars comics. Compared to Marvel's comics from the '70s and '80s--which were quite silly by comparison--Dark Horse shines brighter than the sun. Some of the best EU is contained within the pages of Dark Horse Comics.

Let's see if this new Marvel generation can keep up with it.

Just a guess based on observation, but I'm guessing it's a difference based on your primary fandom. For a Star Wars fan who likes comics, Dark Horse may have been awesome. For a comics fan who also likes Star Wars, it may have been less.

Bingo. I'm unapologetically the latter -- i.e., for me, comics > Star Wars.

I tried a few of Marvel's old SW comics back when I could find the Whitman reprints in toy stores, but I never could get into them, mostly because the few issues I tried were drawn by Carmine Infantino, whose style really bugged me when I was kid. I don't mind his work as an adult in hindsight, but I've never tried to revisit them since.

(I still like the idea of Jaxxon, though. Him, I could probably get into. :thumbsup: )

So in terms of ancient Marvel SW comics vs. more recent Dark Horse SW comics, I don't have much of a basis for comparison. But when it comes to Dark Horse SW comics versus literally tens of thousands of any other comics I've read over my lifetime...Dark Horse had great moments, but they could've done better. A look at any random issue of their old Star Wars Tales anthology pointed toward what might've been, if they hadn't insisted on favoring in-house writers over established comics pros, and if their artist pool hadn't been such a mixed bag over the years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.